The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11

User Info Menu

I know several of you have or have had a VB guitar. After much consideration on what it is I want in a guitar, I have decided to have my first custom made archtop built by Victor. I put my deposit in this morning. I've been a big fan of both his instruments and his own playing, and I couldn't be happier with this decision. I've discovered several incredible players because of Victor, and I'm really looking forward to having this opportunity.

I don't have to decide specs for a while longer, but I am going to go with a Model 15, cello woods, and traditional style F holes. I'm also going to have a smaller block to give the guitar a little bit more of an acoustic voice.

Post pictures or videos of any of your builds!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I love his cello woods, but I have never been fortunate to see one in person. Iam looking forward to following along with your build. Post any progress shots as they come in!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie2
    I love his cello woods, but I have never been fortunate to see one in person. Iam looking forward to following along with your build. Post any progress shots as they come in!
    I haven't played one either, but I spoke to several owners, and Victor as well. I like his approach to both playing and building, and I know I'll end up with a fantastic life long guitar.

User Info Menu

My own Baker guitar was made in 2010 and it was Victor's first venture into lam-top construction. I came to him with the idea of a Byrdland/ES350T type but with a 25" scale, a modern neck-shape, 2,5" rims and a single set-in humbucker. That guitar was my main gigging instrument for a good 8 years, along with my Super-400CES.
    One of my students ordered a similar guitar only made out of all solid woods, also a superb instrument.
    His woodwork is above all criticism, as a player he is aware of the finer details and his sense of aesthetics is highly developed. His prices have increased steadily as more and more younger players appeared with his instruments and his apparent success is well-earned over all these years. One can't really go wrong with a guitar from Victor, as long as one knows what he/she wants.

IMHO all the fancy marketing-derived attributes like "private reserve", private stock, master-grade, old-growth, cello-wood, et al only blow smoke into our eyes in order to open our checkbooks and to verbally heighten the supposed value and excellence of a particular guitar in the hope that it grows in value for a better revenue in years to come. One of my neighbors is a master luthier, he makes violins and cellos and takes care of the majority of the string-players in our area. We often talk about instruments and the various aspects of the trade and he always has a good laugh when he hears of all the mojo that passes around in the guitar world... the wood he buys and stores for his violins and cellos is in no way superior or inferior to other pieces he checks out at his supplier and he sees/hears no difference in the wood being used for guitars or violins. Since a suitable piece of maple for a cello backplate has to be considerably larger than one for a guitar that chunck will be more expensive, no question. The same goes for the top. A smaller wedge from the same tree could be suitable for a guitar. He can trust his supplier, he chooses by ear, eye and sheer instinct, experiences learned over some 40 years in the trade. His hands, his ear and all these years are the ingredients that make a fine-sounding instrument, just as in Victor's (and any other capable luthier's) case. The rest is eye candy, bling, collector's gold, whatever you want to call it.
    It's not easy but I have to remind myself regularly that when guitar-shopping I should listen with my ears and hands, with eyes closed ...
    Attached Images Attached Images Victor Baker Guitars-victor-baker-1a-jpg 

User Info Menu

FWIW, I spoke with Victor several years ago about purchasing one of his higher-end guitars that were available on the used market. The deal never happened, but he was a very friendly, sincere, honest man and was generous with advice, taking time to speak with me in depth about the instrument.

User Info Menu

Here’s me from Sunday, playing a birthday party on the 8 string “Brahms style” archtop with a cello end pin VB made for me. It’s a great instrument, VB is top shelf as a builder, classy person as well. I couldn’t be happier. This was an experimental build, and he had to a lot of CAD designs and renderings. Everything worked out very nicely.
    Attached Images Attached Images Victor Baker Guitars-bbbe2bf9-ba20-45fc-a015-bdd225165911-jpg 

User Info Menu

I am considering one too. Did you get yours?

Thoughts?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by eh6794-2.0
    I am considering one too. Did you get yours?

Thoughts?
    I put my project on hold for a bit due to some unforeseen personal issues. That being said, Victor is usually booking a year out at this point. I'm not sure he's taking orders any more this year, but he's easy to talk to and responsive to emails.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JSanta
    I put my project on hold for a bit due to some unforeseen personal issues. That being said, Victor is usually booking a year out at this point. I'm not sure he's taking orders any more this year, but he's easy to talk to and responsive to emails.
    What timing! I literally just gave him my deposit 55 minutes ago. I wish there was a way to take your spot. I am getting a similar model 15. He said he should have it within 9 months.

User Info Menu

I am reviving this thread to show, proud as a father, my Victor Baker 18 7 strings. Yes, these guitars really are something.

Victor Baker Guitars-victor-baker-4-jpgVictor Baker Guitars-victor-baker-5-jpg

Just wish I could give it all the attention and playing it deserves...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cascanicoff
    I am reviving this thread to show, proud as a father, my Victor Baker 18 7 strings. Yes, these guitars really are something.

Victor Baker Guitars-victor-baker-4-jpgVictor Baker Guitars-victor-baker-5-jpg

Just wish I could give it all the attention and playing it deserves...
    Very cool@

My other VB: an 8 string fanned fretless “Tele” style.

Nothing but positive things to say about VB: professional, friendly, makes great guitars.

Here’s a sound sample. “Summertime” @ Berkley Rose Garden.

Login • Instagram