User Info Menu

Hi folks,
    what is the correct wire to use to earth to
    the metal Tailpiece on a 175 type guitar

is normal old school braided cable ok ?
    Goldo E9HB1 Vintage Pickup Cable – Thomann UK

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

By 'correct', do you mean historically correct or electrically correct. Electrically, any copper wire should do, solid, strand or braided. It should not be ridiculously thin. Historically, I have no idea.
    I could not really figure out what was so special about the cable you have a link to. It is called a pickup cable and, thus, would expect multi conductors, which you don't need for a ground wire.

i was wondering what is used in , say
    a gibson 175

i have an ibanez archtop with an intermittent earth fault , and I’m gonna have to replace the earth wire I think

I get a loud electrical buzz every now and again with i can clear by thumping the guitar
    It could be a dodgy pot too i’m guessing , I’m gonna have to fish the whole harness out which is a big drag ....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    I get a loud electrical buzz every now and again with i can clear by thumping the guitar
    It could be a dodgy pot too i’m guessing , I’m gonna have to fish the whole harness out which is a big drag ....
    If the buzz is going away after thumping the guitar and it's not there even when you are not touching the strings, then it's not the wire to the tail piece. In that case buzz probably caused by something loose, maybe broken soldering or something.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    If the buzz is going away after thumping the guitar and it's not there even when you are not touching the strings, then it's not the wire to the tail piece. In that case buzz probably caused by something loose, maybe broken soldering or something.
    I agree. If touching the tail piece does not change the hum, then the ground wire is not the problem.

User Info Menu

BTW, sometimes you can look around inside an archtop with something like a dental mirror. Also, there are these new micro cameras on the end on a 'snake' that can get into really small spaces. I have used them to explore inside of a wall (inside my house, I was looking for a water drip).
    I haven't used it on a guitar but would be perfect for looking around by snaking into the 'F' hole. You could direct some 'pot' cleaner into to tone/volumes pots without taking them out.
    Good luck.

User Info Menu

Look for endoscope on ebay or Amazon. They're readily available, and cheap. Mine came with a 90 degree angle mirror and a magnet for fishing out loose parts, and with a wifi adapter so it can be used without a physical attachment to the computer or phone. You can get high quality pictures of the inside of your guitar, or the dustballs under the bed, or whatever you need to look at. For ~$20 they're well worth it.

I don't have an actual Gibson ES175 to look at, but the wire is going to be hidden, so I don't think it makes much difference what you use. For applications like this, wire is wire.

User Info Menu

Hi, P,
    I recently disassembled an '66 Gibson ES125TDC. The ground wire that goes to the tailpiece is wrapped around the positive lead of the bridge pickup and soldered to the chrome/nickel tailpiece at the end pin. I took a couple of pix that might help. Let me know if you'd like to see them and I'll try to post them.
    Play live . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

I don't see the need for using a braided cable as ground wire. I don't think there is any benefit in shielding the ground wire. It's going to the ground anyway.