The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 26

User Info Menu

Hi to all!

I would share with you my little experience on archtop building. I started my passion some years ago when I bought Bob Benedetto book and DVDs. Then I searched information here and there about general woodworking, jigs, tool sharpening, helped by tricks of professional luthier aorund the world.

After my first build, a 17" non cutaway archtop, I started collaboration with my friend Antonio Tosques. He's Italian (Foggia city) professional player so I was extremely excited to start that challenge with him.

The guitar was my second archtop, built under some Antonio's specs.

Made of Val di Fiemme spruce top with some bearclaws, 16" body at lower bout and 2" depth. Figured poplar back and sides, one piece back. Flame maple neck, 3 pieces with padouk central insert; ebony fingerboard with 22 jumbo frets, 25" scale.

I used few power tools when needed (bandsaw, drill press, router) but a lot of work with hand tools for top and back carvig and neck shaping.

This guitar was completed on September 2018 and sadly I lost some building process pictures.

Hope you enjoy!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The project started with carving and roughing the back

Solid wood Archtop build-img_2752-jpgSolid wood Archtop build-img_2985-jpg

User Info Menu

Side bent. Mahogany kerfing, spruce neck and tailblock. Reinforcement on side jack port.
    Solid wood Archtop build-img_4118-jpgSolid wood Archtop build-img_4128-jpg

User Info Menu

Spruce top. Cedar parallel bracing and some additional braces on pickup opening. Transversal brace directly under the bridge to add some strenght and more sustain. Small patches under pots.Solid wood Archtop build-img_7132-jpgSolid wood Archtop build-img_8671-jpgSolid wood Archtop build-img_9360-jpgSolid wood Archtop build-img_9362-jpg

User Info Menu

Closing the box and adding some binding.
    Solid wood Archtop build-img_9428-jpgSolid wood Archtop build-img_9803-jpgSolid wood Archtop build-img_9804-jpg

User Info Menu

Three pieces flame maple neck, with padouk insert. Double action truss rod. Ebony headplate.
    Solid wood Archtop build-img_3605-jpgSolid wood Archtop build-img_3606-jpgSolid wood Archtop build-img_9690-jpgSolid wood Archtop build-img_9691-jpgSolid wood Archtop build-img_9968-jpg

User Info Menu

First time together!
    Solid wood Archtop build-img_9877-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tiopepe
    Hi to all!

I would share with you my little experience on archtop building. I started my passion some years ago when I bought Bob Benedetto book and DVDs. Then I searched information here and there about general woodworking, jigs, tool sharpening, helped by tricks of professional luthier aorund the world.

After my first build, a 17" non cutaway archtop, I started collaboration with my friend Antonio Tosques. He's Italian (Foggia city) professional player so I was extremely excited to start that challenge with him.

The guitar was my second archtop, built under some Antonio's specs.

Made of Val di Fiemme spruce top with some bearclaws, 16" body at lower bout and 2" depth. Figured poplar back and sides, one piece back. Flame maple neck, 3 pieces with padouk central insert; ebony fingerboard with 22 jumbo frets, 25" scale.

I used few power tools when needed (bandsaw, drill press, router) but a lot of work with hand tools for top and back carvig and neck shaping.

This guitar was completed on September 2018 and sadly I lost some building process pictures.

Hope you enjoy!
    Nice work! Well done!

User Info Menu

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!

User Info Menu

Beauty!

User Info Menu

Thanks to all!
    Some pics has been recovered, so let's go on!
    Adding some details and start to sanding smooth
    Solid wood Archtop build-img_0301-jpgSolid wood Archtop build-img_0314-jpgSolid wood Archtop build-img_0473-jpg

User Info Menu

And final, first finish ground with Tung Oil. It shows that beautiful woods!
    Solid wood Archtop build-img_0843-jpgSolid wood Archtop build-img_0848-jpgSolid wood Archtop build-img_0043-jpg

User Info Menu

The finish is done, after 6 layers of amber oil varnish applied by hand.
    Attached Images Attached Images Solid wood Archtop build-img_1072-jpg 

User Info Menu

Solid wood Archtop build-img_1073-jpg

User Info Menu

Completed with handowound humbucker with AlNiCo 4 rough bar magnet. The scatterwound and the magnet give to guitar a nice, clear and balanced sound.
    Solid wood Archtop build-3-jpgSolid wood Archtop build-5-jpgSolid wood Archtop build-6-jpgSolid wood Archtop build-9-jpgSolid wood Archtop build-dscn0192-jpg

User Info Menu

Ready for delivery
    Solid wood Archtop build-img_1307-jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images Solid wood Archtop build-img_1308-jpg 

User Info Menu

An happy player, the great Antonio Tosques!
    Solid wood Archtop build-img_1573-jpg

On Stage
    Solid wood Archtop build-img_20190505_121953-jpg

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

A truly beautiful instrument, Thanks for sharing with us!

User Info Menu

Congrats- lovely instrument!

User Info Menu

It’s got a sweet tone. How great to create a guitar and then have it go to the capable hands of someone who features the skills of AT. That’s a win-win!

User Info Menu

Thank you so much for your kind words!
    I learned a lot from this experience and I currently work to make new great instruments.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tiopepe
    Closing the box and adding some binding.
    Solid wood Archtop build-img_9804-jpg

Hiya Pepe,

Can you tell me about what pieces you used for this binding here and your application process?

Gonna give it a whirl on my next build!

User Info Menu

Sounds sweet & looks beautiful. Impresssive, especially for your first guitar!

User Info Menu

gorgeous! Bravo on the great craftsmanship!