The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi,

Long time listener, first time caller-

I recently picked up an old Japanese Epiphone that's a thin body. It came with the frequensator tailpiece which I don't dig. I bought a used zig zag tailpiece from a 175 but upon receiving it the mounting bracket is thicker than the guitar. Any ideas on how I could still install this? Pic below:

That picture is huge so if there's a way to scale it down let me know.

I've considered using a dremel and cutting off the bottom third completely- using the two screws at the top and the strap button as the 3 points of stress to hold it on. I'm sure that cut would not turn out super pretty, but it's an option.

I've also considered just screwing it on as is and letting it hang off the back a touch. Again not pretty.

I've considered also just contacting the seller and trying to return it. I can't find a replacement mounting bracket/plate anywhere that I could use instead for thinner bodies. This idea bums me because I love the zig zag tailpiece and was stoked to finally have one.

I've also considered that I'm a moron for trying this in the first place.

Ideas welcome!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cebr242
    Hi,

Long time listener, first time caller-

I recently picked up an old Japanese Epiphone that's a thin body. It came with the frequensator tailpiece which I don't dig. I bought a used zig zag tailpiece from a 175 but upon receiving it the mounting bracket is thicker than the guitar. Any ideas on how I could still install this? Pic below:

That picture is huge so if there's a way to scale it down let me know.

I've considered using a dremel and cutting off the bottom third completely- using the two screws at the top and the strap button as the 3 points of stress to hold it on. I'm sure that cut would not turn out super pretty, but it's an option.

I've also considered just screwing it on as is and letting it hang off the back a touch. Again not pretty.

I've considered also just contacting the seller and trying to return it. I can't find a replacement mounting bracket/plate anywhere that I could use instead for thinner bodies. This idea bums me because I love the zig zag tailpiece and was stoked to finally have one.

I've also considered that I'm a moron for trying this in the first place.

Ideas welcome!
    You could take the ZZ to a local machine shop and have them remove and re-shape the extra and buff it up a bit. More cost, your choice if it's worth it. I find it best to get the best result within budget. Good luck!

User Info Menu

A machinist at your local shop should be able to cut down the zig-zag end piece to give you what you need without too much expense.

Hey thanks for the responses! I've ended up talking to my brother in law who I've recently learned has to machine many parts at his job for a pharma factory. He's offered to do exactly what you all suggested. Thanks for the replies!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cebr242
    Hey thanks for the responses! I've ended up talking to my brother in law who I've recently learned has to machine many parts at his job for a pharma factory. He's offered to do exactly what you all suggested. Thanks for the replies!
    Photos of the final result are welcome :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gabor
    Photos of the final result are welcome :-)
    Just shy of obligatory....