The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have two guitars with archtop adjustable bridges.

Guitar a) The nut is 1 3/4" wide--scale length 25 1/2". What spacing to notch at the bridge between the two E strings?
    Guitar b) The nut is 1 3/4" wide--scale length 24 3/4". What spacing to notch at the bridge between the two E strings?

The guitar is with a plectrum--not finger style.

Your knowledge welcome.
    Many thanks.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Might want to take a peek at this video, I found it helpful. d
    Setting the string spacing at the bridge | stewmac.com

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by swingtoneman
    I have two guitars with archtop adjustable bridges.

Guitar a) The nut is 1 3/4" wide--scale length 25 1/2". What spacing to notch at the bridge between the two E strings?
    Guitar b) The nut is 1 3/4" wide--scale length 24 3/4". What spacing to notch at the bridge between the two E strings?

The guitar is with a plectrum--not finger style.

Your knowledge welcome.
    Many thanks.
    More factors are involved in the equation than the scale length, which is not much of a factor at all. The width of the nut or course and the width of the neck where it meets the body. In essence the neck taper from the last fret to the nut has a huge bearing on this and is different when the measurements are different. So in theory an L5 is normally 1 11/16 and all of the necks taper the same in width ( or should). Then within the parameters is the pickup and the polepiece spacing.

Remember setting up a guitar correctly is a science and an art.............!

Thanks guys for your great info--answered my questions--many thanks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzkritter
    Might want to take a peek at this video, I found it helpful. d
    Setting the string spacing at the bridge | stewmac.com
    It's interesting that the spacing is not equal centres (centers) but equal gaps between the strings.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by garybaldy
    It's interesting that the spacing is not equal centres (centers) but equal gaps between the strings.
    I think this is usually done because it looks better, not because it plays better. Although once you get used to playing on strings that are spaced this way, then I guess equal centers would seem off for playing as well.

User Info Menu

There are three methods for cutting the grooves in the nut (or the stringspacer on a zero fret neck). They originate from the bowed string instrument making and have nothing to do with appearance, the more with the ease of putting your fingers on the strings. It really matters on the small necks of violins or mandolins, but is still perceptible on guitar necks.
    Admittedly, human perception is an individual thing ...

1. Equal_string_center_spacing

2. Equal_string_spacing

3. Hybrid_spacing (wider than center_to_center_spacing but narrower than string_edge_to_string_edge_spacing)

Of course it's all about the player's individual liking, but I'd be taken aback to learn if the first two methods were still in strict regular demand by the more sensitive portion of players.