The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I am looking for a vise with adjustable jaws (If such a vise exists) which allows me to clamp a guitar / banjo neck, which as you know the width of the neck is tapered. I currently use a normal vise and fit small leather pieces to accommodate the neck taper. That's OK to a point but the leather will work loose after a short while allowing the neck to fall. How do you go about working on the neck?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

You want what is referred to as a "pattern makers vise"

Doc

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

If you have lots of spendable cash, StewMac has them for sale. Guitar Repair Vise | stewmac.com

User Info Menu

Where are you located? The StewMac vise is just a Pattern Makers Vise rebranded and inflated in price. Search for Pattern Makers (Carving) Vise as I suggested and you'll find it much cheaper than the StewMac one.
    A quick example:
    StewMac $194.05usd
    Grizzly $134.95usd
    Infinity Tools $129.90usd

Doc

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Thanks everybody for your useful info. I am located in the UK. If anybody in the UK has a pattern makers vice for sale send me a PM.

I am also looking for a woodworkers vice. If you have one for sale PM me. UK only.

Many thanks.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I wound up with, and use, the older-model Black & Decker Workmate benchtop model. The jaws can tilt 5-6". The metal strips can pull off the jaws for plastic contact. The holes in the top fit those swivel-cams. By and large it can grab anything up to a basketball.

I also wound up with a B&D Workmate 425 portable bench. It's a similar concept built as a light, transportable bench, good for hauling out to the back yard so the neighbors can hear your saw work:

Just one more example of how my dad had two of everything. Thanks again, Dad.