Posts 1 to 13 of 13
    Hi!

I made guitar picks out of old flamed birch. Check outhowthey turnee out

Cheers, Mikko

Lähetetty minun SM-A405FN laitteesta Tapatalkilla

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Mikko,

It is a nice warm sound on the birch pick, definitely good during the cold winter days this time of year!

Thanks for the tutorial and demonstration! Your playing is awesome. You should play us some more full tunes!

Thanks,

Cheers,

S

User Info Menu

I have made, and used, picks made from various species of wood. Ebony, maple, and others. I'm not a huge fan of wood as a pick, unless it's for just chunking rhythm, and they do fine for that. But it's all a matter of personal taste. I keep a few ebony picks of various thicknesses on hand, just because I have them. I do find that the shape and thickness make a definite difference.

I liked your video a lot! A cool project and great idea. I think these wooden picks would be extremely good for players like me who prefer guitars with light strings, or who don’t want to change strings for different sounds.

It seemed like you were getting a thicker, warmer tone that would be really nice for jazz. I have some metallic sounding acoustics, and electric guitars without tone knobs that could really use something like this. I love it!

User Info Menu

cool vid mikko...50 year stored birch! nice

great craftsmanship..and of course great playing per usual

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by skykomishone
    Mikko,

It is a nice warm sound on the birch pick, definitely good during the cold winter days this time of year!

Thanks for the tutorial and demonstration! Your playing is awesome. You should play us some more full tunes!

Thanks,

Cheers,

S
    Thank you! There is some full songs in my channel but I definetly should make more.Wooden guitar picksWooden guitar picks

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Ashtray
    I liked your video a lot! A cool project and great idea. I think these wooden picks would be extremely good for players like me who prefer guitars with light strings, or who don’t want to change strings for different sounds.

It seemed like you were getting a thicker, warmer tone that would be really nice for jazz. I have some metallic sounding acoustics, and electric guitars without tone knobs that could really use something like this. I love it!
    That's nice to hear!
    I have made picks from different Finnish woods and elk horn for couple of years now. You can check out some pictures from https://www.finnpick.com if you want. There is more in my Instagram too.

If you are interested I can design and make pick or two for you too. info@finnpick.com

Cheers, Mikko

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikkoKarhula
    Hi!

I made guitar picks out of old flamed birch. Check outhowthey turnee out

Cheers, Mikko

Great work.I've tried to do ebony picks few years ago but no so beautiful like yours.
    Best
    Kris

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    I have made, and used, picks made from various species of wood. Ebony, maple, and others. I'm not a huge fan of wood as a pick, unless it's for just chunking rhythm, and they do fine for that. But it's all a matter of personal taste. I keep a few ebony picks of various thicknesses on hand, just because I have them. I do find that the shape and thickness make a definite difference.
    Ok. I use pick with nylon strings and feel that wooden pick has most warm and natural sound with it. Plastic is more definite and clear but thinner and more cold. But as you said it's matter of taste.

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    cool vid mikko...50 year stored birch! nice

great craftsmanship..and of course great playing per usual

cheers
    Thank you very much!

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Great work.I've tried to do ebony picks few years ago but no so beautiful like yours.
    Best
    Kris
    Thank you! This is a little bit like making jewelry for me. I try to find different woods with different figures and things. You should try too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikkoKarhula
    Thank you! This is a little bit like making jewelry for me. I try to find different woods with different figures and things. You should try too.

Hi Mikko,
    I've did yesterday some wooden picks.Oak wood it quite nice.I took the wood from oak parquet mosaic.
    I made one pick from ebony also.I prefer ebony but oak is not bad.Need some more polishing work.
    Best
    Kris

User Info Menu

I experimented with wooden picks several years ago, and found that I got the most warmth from them when I burned them.