The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 30 of 30
    Bingo!

The neck pickup starts out at 2.1, peaks at 107 and full on is 26.
    During travel there are spikes of over 500.

Im guessing its the pot by these results. Everything is stock on the guitar and its about 6 years old.
    Does it pay to replace just the one pot or have everything replaced.
    Brands of pots to get either sole or a full set? Im not that great with a soldering iron. I know they sell prewired full sets and if it makes life easier, ill go that route.

Thank you for this non invasive troubleshooting process.
    Also thank you Everyone for your inputs with this problem.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by d115
    Bingo!

The neck pickup starts out at 2.1, peaks at 107 and full on is 26.
    During travel there are spikes of over 500.

Im guessing its the pot by these results. Everything is stock on the guitar and its about 6 years old.
    Does it pay to replace just the one pot or have everything replaced.
    Brands of pots to get either sole or a full set? Im not that great with a soldering iron. I know they sell prewired full sets and if it makes life easier, ill go that route.

Thank you for this non invasive troubleshooting process.
    Also thank you Everyone for your inputs with this problem.
    Presumably those are kilohms. Fully clockwise, the pot slider should be connected directly to the pickup with the pot track in parallel to ground. The track is obviously about 400k so that would leave the pickup at 28k or so, which is much too high. The anti clockwise measurement is also too high. It should be just a few ohms

What are the corresponding readings for the bridge pickup?

yes, KilOhms.

Bridge:

Fully off is 1.6, peak 126.3 and fully On is 10.5

User Info Menu

The 1.6k and 2k in the off positions are much too high. They should be nearly zero. What do you measure between the plug sleeve and the metalwork - say the fixing nut of one of the pots or the cover of a pickup?

What is the measurement with the meter leads shorted together?

I should add I'm testing the sleeve/tip using a 6ft cord inserted in the guitar.
    The cord has a resistance of .3 ohms, not kilOhms. The leads shorter together are .1 Ohms.
    The switch was made in Korea, and I assume the pots are not of great quality either.

From sleeve to fixing nuts, .3 Ohms.
    Sleeve to pickup cover, .5 Ohms.
    Last edited by d115; 03-06-2021 at 05:50 PM.