The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hey all, new to channel. So I have a 60's ES-175 that has degraded electronics. Should I install new electronics with existing pickups? Or install all new electronics and pickups and retain original hardware as an original hardware assembly? Point is, In the event that I ever want to sell it, I have the original hardware.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

If there isn't anything wrong with the pickups why do you want to replace them? In other words I wouldn't try to fix something that isn't broken.

Welcome aboard, btw.
    Last edited by lammie200; 01-30-2021 at 03:09 PM.

User Info Menu

I'm not sure what 'degraded electronics' means. That could cover a lot of territory. It's not that hard to replace what needs replacing, and keep the removed items. I don't know that having the original harness in its entirety will enhance the resale value, but I suppose it could for some collectors. If you have the money to spend, buying a complete harness and changing the whole thing at one time is probably easier than doing just the pots or whatever, since it all has to come out to do the job properly. Personally I wouldn't pay more for an old corroded harness, but I'm not the entire market.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    I'm not sure what 'degraded electronics' means. That could cover a lot of territory. It's not that hard to replace what needs replacing, and keep the removed items. I don't know that having the original harness in its entirety will enhance the resale value, but I suppose it could for some collectors. If you have the money to spend, buying a complete harness and changing the whole thing at one time is probably easier than doing just the pots or whatever, since it all has to come out to do the job properly. Personally I wouldn't pay more for an old corroded harness, but I'm not the entire market.
    My thoughts exactly. In my working years I was a electronics tech. I see no value in bad components original or not. But the old harness would not take up much room. Put it in a plastic bag and stick it in the case.

I have a 68 ES-175 and would not hesitate replacing the pots.

User Info Menu

Welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    Thanks for replying. Granted I do have a new harness (pots, switch and plug). Shouldn't have said electronics. Seems the general consensus is replace and move on using existing P/ups.

User Info Menu

It depends on the pickups and your preferences. I'm cheap, like many others, and don't tend to replace items that don't need replacement. But lots of us replace pickups just because the tone isn't perfect. Nothing wrong with replacing everything at one time if that's what you want, and have the available funds.

User Info Menu

What are the problems the guitar is giving you? Pots can be cleaned. I would replace as little as possible..

Quote Originally Posted by Alter
    What are the problems the guitar is giving you? Pots can be cleaned. I would replace as little as possible..
    I tried replying but somehow it doesn't work too well for me. Lets see if it shows up.