The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

The 2021 Ibanez line is out. The AF200 has been replaced by the AF2000 which aside from nicer tuners, tailpiece and a gold truss rod cover (ooooo))) I see the back and sides are no longer maple but now Anigre.
    Looked it up, seems to be big in furniture but does not get much if any musical instrument references.
    Anyone know anything about it?

(I’ll keep my maple AF200 thank you!)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Höfner has used Anigre in some of their archtops for much of this century.

User Info Menu

I've run into Anigre in the cabinet shop a few times. Readily available as veneer. Highly prized for it's sometimes wild figure. As far as a cabinetmaker is concerned it's very similar to African mahogany.

It's been seen in guitars for a while now : anigre in guitar making

I suspect the Ibanez would be a laminate, in which case it'd have very little effect on sound. Could have a major effect on appearance, in a very good way. Depending on the tree and the cut. And personal preference.

User Info Menu

Hi and thanks for the link! That’s an MIJ model so it’s doubtful it’s laminate; I know the 200 isn’t.

User Info Menu

Looks interesting enough ... They've kept the price at AF200 level .. Currently advertised at £2000 as a pre-order at Andertons.co.uk and who know if it won't drop a little bit once it been in stock for a while

Tho if I was too guess, apart from the different woods it's probably quite similar to the AF200

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzkritter
    Hi and thanks for the link! That’s an MIJ model so it’s doubtful it’s laminate; I know the 200 isn’t.
    The back plate of the AF200 is laminated. Rims are probably laminated as well. AF2000 is probably the same.

Quote Originally Posted by cmajor9
    Höfner has used Anigre in some of their archtops for much of this century.
    Hofner started using anigre veneers in the mid-1960s on various models.

Quote Originally Posted by ccroft
    I've run into Anigre in the cabinet shop a few times. Readily available as veneer. Highly prized for it's sometimes wild figure. As far as a cabinetmaker is concerned it's very similar to African mahogany.
    It's been seen in guitars for a while now : anigre in guitar making
    I suspect the Ibanez would be a laminate, in which case it'd have very little effect on sound. Could have a major effect on appearance, in a very good way. Depending on the tree and the cut. And personal preference.
    I've seen some solid anigre boards and backplates, and talked to a few builders about it. Acoustically, it's not far from mahogany, and has a cedar-like smell.

It's an interesting wood - a bit chameleon-like. In the world of Hofner, there are examples that effectively mimic flamed maple, as well as (later) examples with their own unique wild figuring. Past the figuring, it can also visually mimic mahogany as well. Of course, the Teutonic mentality insists on using quarter-sawn wood for guitar plates, even for laminated veneers. Here are a few pix:

1970's Hofner Model 470:

2001 Hofner Verythin Classic:

2004 Hofner New President:

@2006 Hofner Verythin Classic CS:

2010 Verythin Classic:

2018 Jazzica CS
    Last edited by Hammertone; 01-01-2021 at 03:27 AM.

User Info Menu

Don't like the aesthetic of the af2000 tailpiece with string ball ends showing. A metal L5 style tailpiece would’ve been better.

Also a shame they’re isn’t a 175/ florentine style in the range.

User Info Menu

Hanmertone: The back plate of the AF200 is laminated. Rims are probably laminated as well.”

Not all. Mine’s serial 00001 first build for 2014 NAMM. I just assumed all were solid like mine: solid flamed maple back and sides. I have my claws dug into this baby its quite a guitar.

User Info Menu

Those are some very nice pictures Hammer. The 4th one is starting to get to the territory I was describing as wild. When that kind of figure gets tighter and smaller some call it 'bees wing'. Like the old Green Hornet intro. Can actually be kinda hard to look at, but quite unusual and impressive.

User Info Menu

I can't ask for a guitar made of this wood because my mouth won't allow me to form the sound. I can't even read the title without blushing and feeling that I must have offended someone.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzkritter
    Hanmertone: The back plate of the AF200 is laminated. Rims are probably laminated as well.”
    Not all. Mine’s serial 00001 first build for 2014 NAMM. I just assumed all were solid like mine: solid flamed maple back and sides. I have my claws dug into this baby its quite a guitar.
    Very cool - the first one! That is a very special guitar. Probably got a LOT of attention when being built.

User Info Menu

Jabs: not sure where your bridge is located, but I've heard and said 'a-ni-grey' in Oregon, NY and BC without trouble.

User Info Menu

Thanks Hammer .... it does play special, and count myself really lucky to have it. Not too big, and not too small.
    I replaced the neck Super 58 with a Fralin Modern PAF and it really came alive.
    But all the binding strips on the pickguard fell off one by one
    Glue worked... someone on the J Crew didn’t lol

User Info Menu

Seems that they have been using anigre for some years in another models.

I've a 2018 AS200 with anigre. The JSM100 use it too for years and the AS200 in 2018, 2020 and 2021 (2019 is maple).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ccroft
    Jabs: not sure where your bridge is located, but I've heard and said 'a-ni-grey' in Oregon, NY and BC without trouble.
    It is lustre, filtre, tyre, figure, chanchre, meagre where I grew up. You see my problem now. I can't say "niggling" nor "niggardly" without getting into trouble.

User Info Menu

I saw that and thought i'd help you out :-) That is the 'proper' pronunciation.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    It is lustre, filtre, tyre, figure, chanchre, meagre where I grew up. You see my problem now. I can't say "niggling" nor "niggardly" without getting into trouble.
    I am sure you could find a "comfortable pronunciation" - after all we native english speakers have been bastardizing foreign languages for centuries now!

if in doubt just try "Annie Grey"