The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I'm thinking about having a replica pickguard made for my Heritage Johnny Smith to mount a Kent Armstrong single coil floating pickup to it (photo attached). This is the cast resin body pickup with the six pole pieces. It has a wedge shaped tab mount on the side. I'd like to keep the original one (photo attached) intact with the Bartolini pickup already mounted to it. The cable going to the output jack has a plug that allows the entire pickguard with pickup to be removed from the guitar, so swapping out pickguards/pickups would be easy. To me, it looks like it would be difficult to come close to the grain and tint of the original, but maybe it's doable. Any ideas, thoughts, or recommendations for a luthier who does this kind of work are appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill

Attachment 77149Attachment 77148

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Maybe try something different like a bound tortoise for a different look with the different pick guard?

User Info Menu

Tony Dudzik, Pickguardian, Columbus OH
    Pickguardian | Quality Handmade Custom Pickguards

Pete Moreno, Morenos Guitar Clinic, Kalamazoo MI
    Morenos Guitar Clinic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MaxTwang
    Maybe try something different like a bound tortoise for a different look with the different pick guard?
    That is probably the best approach. Trying to get an exact match to the original probably isn't feasible. Thanks!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    Tony Dudzik, Pickguardian, Columbus OH
    Pickguardian | Quality Handmade Custom Pickguards

Pete Moreno, Morenos Guitar Clinic, Kalamazoo MI
    Morenos Guitar Clinic
    Thanks, Hammertone! I will have a look at Tony's website. And, Pete has done work for me before. He is a true master of his craft.