The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 52 of 52

User Info Menu

When you level the frets the fingerboard needs to be completely flat, or as flat as possible. Stew Mac and Dan have a whole gizmo set up that charge a fortune for to do fret dressing. I suspect it works and fine and nothing wrong with it however all the 2 great builders that taught me how to dress frets never had one and never used one. So I don't use this very expensive tool to get the neck straight and then dress the frets. The neck can be actually be set straight with 2 blocks and a clamp on the neck if need be. I never that had to resort to doing it but given some necks are do not have truss rods then I have it ready.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    When you level the frets the fingerboard needs to be completely flat, or as flat as possible. Stew Mac and Dan have a whole gizmo set up that charge a fortune for to do fret dressing. I suspect it works and fine and nothing wrong with it however all the 2 great builders that taught me how to dress frets never had one and never used one. So I don't use this very expensive tool to get the neck straight and then dress the frets. The neck can be actually be set straight with 2 blocks and a clamp on the neck if need be. I never that had to resort to doing it but given some necks are do not have truss rods then I have it ready.
    I gather there are different schools of thought about this, and I don't doubt that you doing it the traditional way with the neck straight + your skills and your good tools would do a better job than I did with this cheap-o kit. But there are people who recommend leveling with string tension and there are tools oriented toward this (including some nicer looking ones from Stew-Mac), It makes a certain amount of sense to me, so I figured I'd try it. The worst that would happen is I'd have to bring the guitar to a pro who would re-do it if I messed things up . I was very careful not to take a lot of material off the frets and the results were satisfactory. I managed to clean up buzzes and not destroy my guitar for much less than the cost of a pro fret leveling job, so I'll call it a win. Not sure I'll do it again, but it was worth the experience, and not a bad way to spend the afternoon.

John