The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 82

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by archtopeddy
    Kinda pulling up this older thread ... but some of you suggested getting KA-12 pole floater. What is the difference/advantages of 12 adjustable poles to 6 poles? Thanks!
    With a standard humbucker pickup, which has a bobbin with six adjustable polepieces and another with six slug polepieces, both halves of the pickup send signal to the amp (people sometimes mistakenly think that only the screw side sends signal). With a standard 'bucker, you can adjust the balance of the strings with the adjustable polepieces, but not on the slug pole pieces so you can't really fully balance the strings in some cases. With KA's uses of adjustable pole pieces on both bobbins, you have better control over the balance- to the extent that you can even balance it for bronze strings!

Also, you can slightly de-emphasize one bobbin versus the other by screwing down all the polepieces in that one or raising all the pole pieces in the other. I didn't find that very useful when I tried it.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Like Cuna’ says, more control in every way.

Note that on a floater, having the ability to adjust bobbin vs. bobbin balance can be a very very usefull thing in setting an overall fullness to the sound, especially if the PU mount on the PG is not quite aligned to the strings as you might want.

Also, for a bit more rasp in rhythm, take the bobbin that is already farthest from the strings and drop the screws back a bit farther. It works.

Just be careful - if the PU is close to the top (as it is on mine), you could conceivably send a pole screw into the spruce top if you adjust it very deeply.

For laughs I once removed the scews on one coil - and while the result is not a true dummy-coil effect (like the old Alembic system) I can definitely see it being just the ticket for some player who wants a very quiet PU and great definition.

User Info Menu

A few months ago I purchased a 74 GJS. The previous owner had a professionally installed BJB pickup, along with a new pickguard. He replaced and rewired the input jack with a quarter inch jack into the end piece. The volume knob is original, but assume the pots, etc were switched out. I was happy he did all of the above, but wasn't sure I'd like the pick up. The BJB seems a bit on the bright side for me, though I have used it for a few gigs and its okay.

I've thinking about a replacement - something that is more consistent with the original pickup. I like the idea of adjustable poles. I really prefer a darker, warmer, fuller sound than the BJB offers. Most of the time I play through a Roland PA system because I prefer the cleaner sound. Occasionally, I will also use a Roland 80 watt, on the acoustic setting. With both amps, I tweak the settings as needed to dial in the sound I am looking for.

I've contacted Kent Armstrong and he assured me he could provide what I am looking for, either with a custom build or something off the shelf. I have heard good things - many good things - about Lollar. What I need from you all is advice based on your experiences. What other options exist and I know there are plenty! I've even seen vintage GJS pickups on Reverb, always with a very hefty asking price!

One of the things I thought about is if any of these replacements are the same size as the current BJB, e.g., would I have to get another pick guard to accommodate it? Would I have to make any other changes?

This idea of swapping out pick ups is a new area for me, so what I know probably fills up about half of a thimble. But I have a good luthier whom I trust. Having said that, if I replace the BJB, I want to do it right. My honeymoon with the GJS has not ended - it is a truly wonderful guitar that I really enjoy playing. Any insights or opinions are welcomed and really appreciated.

User Info Menu

I have not dealt with Lollar but of course his reputation is a well-known already; I have dealt with Kent Armstrong and he is a straight up easy guy to do business with. My old guitar teacher sent his GJS pickup to him to be rewound and was very happy with the outcome. I suspect Kent knows those pick ups quite thoroughly.

As for having to make changes to the guitar, if the pickup is about the same size then you shouldn't need to swap the pickguard out. The primary issue I can think of is whether or not the holes in the "ears" for the pickup bracket would line up with the holes in the neck.

User Info Menu

I have a KA made by himself the twin poles with adjustable PP. It needs to be fitted to the guard but I will sell it for $120 and shipping to us. I think it will sound darker although I had an L5 years ago with a BJB and it was great I would not want anything different.

User Info Menu

I believe I still have one or two original GJS pickups, both neck and bridge around if you’re interested in bringing it back to original. They are usually overpriced, but fair market still isn’t cheap.

User Info Menu

One thing I would keep in mind, is that the original JS pickup was mounted to the neck with a bracket and four screws. Your BJB pickup probably mounts to the pick guard. I would try to find a replacement that uses the same type of bracket as the original. That is a very solid and reliable way to mount the pickup. Lollar offers that style (I don’t think Kent Armstrong does). An original Gibson JS would be good if you can find one. Unfortunately, I find they are all a little bright for my tastes unless you add a tone control.
    Keith

User Info Menu

I do like the original PU on my 76 Johnny Smith. It's on the bright side, but the highs are not harsh, so it's still pleasing.

I recently aquired a replacement Lee Ritenour L5 PU from Gibson. This is slightly darker than a BJB and has adjustable polepieces. I have it installed on a LeGrand where it sounds great.

Kent Armstrong has wound me a couple of Johnny Smith style pickups, they are great sounding pickups too. I explained him what sound i was looking for and he did it accordingly. I believe he would provide you with a bracket to mount it on the neck if you ask for it. I'd recommend that you ask for "no holes" in the bracket so you can customize it to fit the existing holes rather than drilling new ones into the neck extension of the guitar.

User Info Menu

There was a poll about this a while ago. It has some useful information that might help you decide. Best Johnny Smith style pickup?
    Keith

User Info Menu

I don’t know guys but I think one of the best pickups period is the Gibson Johnny Smith pickup.
    To me, it’s the perfect pickup. It’s Very powerful. It sounds perfect. And you should already have the holes for it.
    Id find one and roll with it.

User Info Menu

To me, the best floating pickup I've ever heard is the DeArmond Rhythm Chief. The holes might or might not match, I have no idea. But the pickguard would need to be modified, which would be a deal breaker for some. I have no problem with modifying or replacing one, but it's not mine. No doubt there are pickups that are easier to use. You have to set your own priorities.

User Info Menu

I have an ES-165 that is the floating pickup variety. The top edge of the pickup butts right up against (and is in contact with) the bottom heal edge of the neck. Shouldn't floating pickups literally float? The guitar sounds and plays great as is but it seems like there should be a tiny gap between the butt edge of the neck and the pickup to get the full floating pickup sound/effect. Any thoughts?

User Info Menu

I think the idea behind a floater is that it doesn't dampen or deaden the top plate. OTOH the pickup on mine is not in contact with the fingerboard. But if it was, that's floating over the top anyway.

And then there's the question of the neck mounted floater to consider. Doesn't seem to be a problem with Peter B's Zeidler.

User Info Menu

That's a good point. Neck mounted floaters are kinda integral with the neck anyway. I think that I will leave good enough alone.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lammie200
    That's a good point. Neck mounted floaters are kinda integral with the neck anyway. I think that I will leave good enough alone.
    Hey Lammie,
    I just took a look at my 165. It does not come in contact with the neck. There is a tiny sliver of space. The same sliver of space exists on my Solid Formed.
    The BJB on your 165 is a GREAT pickup. The 165 is a GREAT guitar too.
    Some times I just play it acoustically, because I LOVE the smooth sound it has. Its volume is capped, but it has a DEEPER bottom end than my other guitars. I love my 165!
    JD

User Info Menu

Thanks Joe. I love the BNB. I also like the 490R that is in my other ES-165HE. Not sure why they get grief. I am very happy to have both guitars. Very solid professional instruments and even though I am not a professional player I have been playing consistently for over 4 decades now. I don’t know if professional instruments like these make me a better player, but they don’t hurt. Sure makes playing enjoyable.

User Info Menu

The pickup picks up electromagnetic fluctuations from the strings. I wouldn't think that acoustic vibrations absorbed from the neck heel would have any effect on the sound of the pickup. Then again, I have been wrong before (once or twice)

User Info Menu

“Floating” simply means that there’s not a hole cut in the top and it’s not screwed to the top. If attaching the pickup to the end of the neck has any effect I think it would be in transmitting some vibration to a microphonic pickup, but if your pickup has been properly potted I doubt you’d hear it. This is just conjecture based on messing around on my own guitars.

User Info Menu

I don't think that I can hear anything that is affected by the top edge of the pickup right up against the heel of the fretboard. I was just curious to see if there was a preference from a build perspective.

User Info Menu

Unless you’re into Eddie van Halen tapping techniques in the very high register AND the pickup is VERY microphonic, I don’t think there are grounds to worry ;-)

User Info Menu

I find that the Floating Pickups allow me to have more versatility on the instrument as an Acoustic-Electric Guitar. I found Railhammer Pickups which have Pole Pieces for the Treble Strings to compensate for the reduced volume of Lighter gauge strings so I thought "how about floating railhammers"?

Dear "s11141827",

Are you aware that you've responded to multiple threads that haven't been discussed in years? I have the feeling that you are assuming these conversations are ongoing. Going forward, could you please take a minute to check the date of the original and latest post before posting a comment? I feel like it creates unnecessary confusion for the group here.

Thanks.

User Info Menu

He's new to the forum, and apparently new to forums in general. He seems to be just reading threads that might interest him, and posting responses without looking at any dates on it, some more than 10 years since the last post. And he really, really loves those Railhammer pickups.
    Last edited by sgosnell; 01-24-2023 at 05:08 PM.

User Info Menu

And to add to the thread, it seems that there are no thin (<3") hollow bodied 16" archtops with floating pickups. Is there a reason for that?

User Info Menu

The primary reason for having a floating pickup is to amplify a guitar built to be played acoustically. Those guitars tend to be 3" or so deep, for the acoustic sound. If you're going to use a thin guitar, you may as well set the pickup because you're likely to play it only amplified. That said, I have a 2.5" deep archtop with a floating pickup. I ordered it without any routes or electronics, and installed my own pickup, because I like the sound of the DeArmond Rhythm Chief pickup. I also play the guitar acoustically sometimes, because it's still a decent acoustic archtop. Most thinner guitars tend to be laminates, though, and it makes no sense to me to use a floating pickup on a laminate top.