User Info Menu

Dear all,

thanks for providing the service for such a nice Jazz guitar forum. I hope you can give me some recommendations on this topic.

The pots of my L-5 have to be replaced, they do not run well anymore. The usual treatment with spray and oil did not help.

My guitar is from ~1971/73. Does some kind soul maybe have a wiring diagram and the specs of the required pots ?
    Ideal would be a concrete link to parts, that are recommended for this.

I am currently undecided whether to go to a very good luthier that I know
    or whether to ask for service at an official Gibson repair center, e.g. Music Store in Köln.

Other question: would you re-use the original cabling or also replace internal cables ?

Many thanks
    Andreas

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Just buy a new wiring harness for and L5 set up like this and do it yourself. Pretty easy just work slow and methodical.
    L5 Gibson (R) or Epiphone (R) Type Wiring Harness by JEL 525k | Reverb

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    Just buy a new wiring harness for and L5 set up like this and do it yourself. Pretty easy just work slow and methodical.
    L5 Gibson (R) or Epiphone (R) Type Wiring Harness by JEL 525k | Reverb
    I installed one of these in my L5ces that had developed a problem with one of the pots. I didn't want to "patch" into the harness, so i bought this one and installed it. It has been wonderful. Love it.

User Info Menu

Dear Mark,

many thanks for your suggestion and Lawson to confirm proper operation and nice tone.

I suppose I have to connect the old parts with cords (3-way switch, potis, connection for guitar cable) so that I can get the new wiring harness pulled through the holes again via these cords ?! The only thing which which need to be soldered is the connection to the pickups ...

Is there maybe a YouTube video, which I could use as a little guide, so you I don't miss anything important the first time ? Otherwise I fear everything becomes more tricky ...

BTW .. then I assume this one here would be fine for an ES-335, where a replacement is also due...

I found two different postings, but they seem to be the same, or ?!
    ES-335 Wiring Harness by JEL - CTS 525k - Rare .022 uF | Reverb
    ES-335 Wiring Harness - CTS 525k - Rare .022 uF Vitamin Q | Reverb

Many thanks
    Last edited by andrewk; 08-04-2020 at 10:58 AM.