The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Like the title says!

I want to try building my very first guitar, I have no experience. What would be the best way to go about doing this? Is it even possible?? What do you guys recommend?

Oz

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

You can check my build thread in the forum.

I used the Benedetto 2nd Ed book along with lots of online stuff. It's doable with minimal / no experience - key is having (or having access to) a variety of tools. There are multiple ways to do the same task, so it's going to be a matter of what tickles your fancy. It's best to do practice pieces for each step if possible before you do it on the real one as to minimize risk of messing up. I'd say expect some errors, but shoot not to have any. Lots of experienced/smart builders (not me) on this site.

Took me 1 year and 9 days to have a playable, but unfinished guitar. *Be very patient. *Have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by sbeishline
    You can check my build thread in the forum.

I used the Benedetto 2nd Ed book along with lots of online stuff. It's doable with minimal / no experience - key is having (or having access to) a variety of tools. There are multiple ways to do the same task, so it's going to be a matter of what tickles your fancy. It's best to do practice pieces for each step if possible before you do it on the real one as to minimize risk of messing up. I'd say expect some errors, but shoot not to have any. Lots of experienced/smart builders (not me) on this site.

Took me 1 year and 9 days to have a playable, but unfinished guitar. *Be very patient. *Have fun.
    I'd love to see the result! Would you mind posting a pic or two?

User Info Menu

There is an entire thread with all the pictures and documentation of each step that could be hoped for.

First-timer Archtop Build

Built a Benedetto guitar from planks of wood

There are also some build threads by professionals with years rather than talented and enthusiastic first timers, too, which can certainly help reduce the risk of significant errors just by see how it's correctly done.

User Info Menu

Sure- I’ve had some significant setbacks from this picture and the virus has my shop time/help limited, so I haven’t completed it yet:
    I want to try building an archtop.-c4290dee-4520-4786-a396-d96d03ddeed6-jpgI want to try building an archtop.-820d5591-50f7-4874-9484-417ca75f122d-jpg

Quote Originally Posted by sbeishline
    Sure- I’ve had some significant setbacks from this picture and the virus has my shop time/help limited, so I haven’t completed it yet:
    I want to try building an archtop.-c4290dee-4520-4786-a396-d96d03ddeed6-jpgI want to try building an archtop.-820d5591-50f7-4874-9484-417ca75f122d-jpg
    Incredible!

I think I found your thread with the process you went through. Big gulp. That's a lot of work for sure. Your results are great.

User Info Menu

we had a forum member, a few years back- mike conner- who posted his archtop build journal...a very nice piece of work..still available here as free pdf

https://www.mimf.com/Builds/Archtop%...0-Lo%20Res.pdf

cheers