The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Help identifying timber please-20200606_190801-jpg
    Please can anyone identify these two timbers. I've tried to calculate their densities. The wider piece which is from a t & g plank is about 670kg/cubic metre and the 2x2 is 930kg/cubic metre. They look similar (to me) in grain but have quite different densities.
    TIA

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

It's often not possible to identify wood from a picture, but this reminds me a lot of Ipe. The density numbers don't mean much to me. I can say that some Ipe we've had in the shop doesn't float though. It's not uncommon in the Americas and is quite often used for high end decking.

One problem with wood is that it varies so much in a given species from tree to tree, so a picture of something can fall within the color and characteristics range of more than one.

This also reminds me of a Central American hardwood we saw a lot of 10 to 15 years ago. But I just can't remember the name. I believe it was plantation grown.

User Info Menu

Kwila maybe?

Where are you located?

User Info Menu

Really good question Jehu. Location location location. Do you know Brushbox?

User Info Menu

I'm aware of it, Australian hardwood, but I've never worked with it. I don't think this is that, though.

Based on the pic and density range, Kwila would be my best guess without knowing anything else. And commonly used for decking/flooring, so the T&G fits.

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu
    Kwila maybe?

Where are you located?
    Hi Jehu
    I'm in UK.
    I acquired all sorts of timber from an old carpenter. He had started building a small sailing dinghy which he asked me to store for him (about 20 years ago). There was also some bits and pieces that he'd gathered over time. So a few pieces of reddish hardwood with it all.
    I don't know if they were specifically for the boat. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu
    I'm aware of it, Australian hardwood, but I've never worked with it. I don't think this is that, though.

Based on the pic and density range, Kwila would be my best guess without knowing anything else. And commonly used for decking/flooring, so the T&G fits.
    I don't think the two samples are the same. I have about five 8' - 10' lengths of the t&g which probably were surplus to a job he was on. The 2x2 (3' long) is probably just something he picked up on the way. Cheers