The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Is it possible to wire a Humbucker and a regular Tele Bridge pickup using a 4 way switch ? Im trying to get both series and parallel wiring on the neck pickup, both pickups together and lead single coil Tele.

Thanks in advance !

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Yep. I did that with Dimarzio Area Ts and with Wilde L280TN, both stacked humbuckers. No reason PAF style won't work. If there is a pick up cover it needs to be grounded separately. The diagrams ought to make things pretty clear.

Do you have a diagram or could you post a link to it? Thanks Much!

User Info Menu

Hope this helps
    Attached Images Attached Images Tele 4 way switch with Neck Humbucker?-4-way-wiring-jpg 

User Info Menu

I used this one:

Tele w/ 4-Way Mod Switch

although with a Dimarzio Area T (with cover) and then a Wilde L280TN (no cover). Haven't done it with a PAF style bucker, but I don't see why it wouldn't work with a 4 wire conductor. You might need to ground the cover.

Also:

4 Way Switching For Telecaster - An Easy Guide | Fralin Pickups

https://www.premierguitar.com/articl...-series-wiring

Rothstein Guitars • Serious Tone for the Serious Player

Thanks fellas!

One other ? Since I'm using both a Humbucker and a Single Coil what ohm pots should be used? I've seen diagrams with both 500k a d 250K as well as a mix.
    Not sure which to go with?

Thanks John D

User Info Menu

Perhaps you could use 500k/250k dual ganged pots. I have a Strat with PAF buckers in the middle and bridge, SC in the neck and wired it so that there is a 250/500k volume pot, 250k tone pot for the neck and 500k tone for the buckers. I used one side of the switch as the 250k side and the other side for the 500k side- no jumper between the common terminals on the switch.

Wow I've never heard of a dual 250K/500k pot before. I've heard of people using 300k pots. I guess I'll just try different ones to find what works.

Thanks Again!