User Info Menu

Hey there all! Back with some more questions and stuff. This forum and everyone here is a wealth of knowledge.

I've really been thinking lately. I started getting into doing my own guitar work. Why? Well, it's not that I don't WANT to pay someone who's highly qualified. I guess I just grew up as the black sheep in the family. Instead of outsourcing things all the time, I just see if I can get it done. What happens when my action is too high on my acoustic? First thing I thought about was looking up to see how to do it. Volume pot had a short in it (crappy pot anyway). First thing I did was look up how to change the pots. Got a soldering kit. Got some pots. I actually got a few extras so that I could do practice work first. Man, it kinda makes me wonder why most of the people I know (all of them more than competent enough) don't just do their own guitar work. Big issues that I'm not ready for like fret work, I get it. I'm not gonna be able to do that. Well, not YET. But I'll get there.

Anyways, I got a new guitar and I figured I'd just use my old one as kinda my dummy guitar. I got it super cheap, and I don't play it anyway. Never really liked the sound, but it's what I've done all my work on so far. Besides doing things like changing my pickups and stuff on my new guitar.

Okay, sorry I'm really bad at making short posts. My question is, how did you guys get into doing tech stuff (for those in this section who do that). I mean, I don't wanna just advertise it because I'm not this proficient guitar tech. I'm just a newb. But what I found is I LOVE doing the electronic maintenance on my guitar. It's legit just as fun as playing guitar, and slightly more addictive. In fact, I've been itching. First thing I did when I got my eastman was change the pickup. Had it for about a day. Of course, it was needed. I didn't like the old one. But it's like I felt a NEED to do the work. I wanted to that bad. I used to do drugs (i don't anymore. I'm clean ) and I get that same kind of itch. Not that I'll die without it, but that the urge to do it will, at times, greatly outweigh my want to eat or do anything else. I'll sit around watching guitar tech videos for hours, BURNING.

What's a good way to get others to let me do basic maintenance on their guitars? Simple things. Changing pickups. Diagnosing electronics problems. Is there a way I can practice? What about doing something like making loaded pickguards for people who want an awesome new pickguard but also want something like thumbwheels underneath or knobs and pots in the pickguard, maybe a floater mounted to it. I know, silly idea. But I'm just trying to brainstorm here.

And yes, I know I'm the same guy who asked the question about learning how to make guitars. I'm still on that journey, don't worry, and still researching. I'm sorry for all of the questions and stuff. I just love guitars, and I love doing this kind of detail oriented work with my hands that allows me to create and solve problems. But I also want to do something that helps others in a way. I need to do something like this. Until I'm in a position where I can finally start doing woodworking stuff, this is something I'm also really interested in doing and it's something that I think I could start doing now, unless that's reaching. I don't want to undermine this type of work and act like I can do things that someone with 40 years of this kind of experience could do. You guys are on here literally showing guitars you've built. I get it. I don't have much experience. But I feel this calling to do this kind of work.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The StewMac site has a great number of great “how to” videos, and Dan Erlewine’s books are well worth buying for a beginner.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray175
    The StewMac site has a great number of great “how to” videos, and Dan Erlewine’s books are well worth buying for a beginner.
    Gosh why didn’t I think of that. Thank you!

User Info Menu

1) DItto the Erlewine books. This will tell you what you need to know about fixing guitars from head to foot. He has lots of great videos on youtube also

2) On the electronics side of things, you should have a basic knowledge of soldering and how to read various wiring diagrams. Here's an awesome resource from Seymour Duncan: https://www.seymourduncan.com/resour...iring-diagrams

3) Youtube youtube youtube. Watch videos on fret levelling & fret crowning, nut replacement & slotting, truss rod adjustment, setup, and all the other stuff Dan talks about in his books. You will need to spring for a decent file or two and some other tools, but don't go overboard. There are lots of inexpensive and DIY guitar / luthier tools. Spend some time googling.

4) You should have at least one sacrificial guitar. Sounds like you have it.