The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Vintage Kluson Tuners '46 Gibson 125-20200428_105255-jpgThe original Kluson Tuners on my 1946 Gibson 125 were in the case, with the buttons rotted off from outgasing of the pickguard, I suspect. New tuners were installed, but the buttons are WHITE, and look wrong because they don't match up at all with the yellowed binding. Also, the original tuners look more heavily made, and the posts and tuner shafts are brass instead of the Chrome looking steel on the replacements.

What I'd like to know, can I get replacement buttons for the originals?
    Can the new white ones be 'antiqued'? somehow.
    Suggestions please. Thanks, Steve

Vintage Kluson Tuners '46 Gibson 125-20200428_082942-jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images Vintage Kluson Tuners '46 Gibson 125-20200428_082451-jpg 

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

WD music has replacement buttons:

Kluson Replacement Buttons For Deluxe Or Supreme Series Tuning Machines

You can put those on the original tuners and sell the newly bought tuners ;-)

User Info Menu

you can antique the new pegs

here's a quick tutorial from the master-dan erlewine

Making new tuners look vintage | stewmac.com

good choice in clip on guitar tuner as well!!

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    WD music has replacement buttons:

Kluson Replacement Buttons For Deluxe Or Supreme Series Tuning Machines

You can put those on the original tuners and sell the newly bought tuners ;-)
    Perfect LittleJay! I ordered some of the vintage butterbeans. Thanks, Steve

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    you can antique the new pegs

here's a quick tutorial from the master-dan erlewine

Making new tuners look vintage | stewmac.com

good choice in clip on guitar tuner as well!!

cheers
    Cheers to you too, Neatomic!
    I checked out the StewMac video. Also on installing new buttons. It's very helpful, and something I can do myself. I'm sure. I ordered cream colored buttons. If they're not vintage enough, I can follow the StewMac approach to darken them. I like the idea of putting the original gears back on the old girl.

The Peterson Strobe tuner is definitely my favorite. I have a bowl full of tuners, and, it is the most expensive one, but it's really the best of the bunch for me.

Thanks, Steve

User Info Menu

Steve, that's a good looking, old ES-125! Here are two photos of my '56 ES-125 tuners. The buttons aren't as mangled as yours and they still work, so for now they remain.
    Richard
    Vintage Kluson Tuners '46 Gibson 125-headstock-jpgVintage Kluson Tuners '46 Gibson 125-kluson-tuners-jpg