The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Question regarding the gypsy guitar--Maccafferi--style. This guitar was made to take light 'silk & steel' strings--approx .011 to .047 gauge strings. Due to the style of the bracing under the top would the top take the strain of say of heaver strings--say 80/20 bronze .013 to .056 gauge strings? Or would it be a case of: 'Don't try this at home kids' ?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I knew a guy who tried it. Didn't see any long term effects on his guitar, because he only kept the strings on for an hour or so...sounded terrible.

Those guitars are made for the "right" strings. Argies (or that style) or a few cats use silk and steel (Stochelo, for example)

I tried that and didn't like 'em either. Only Argentines for me.

User Info Menu

The bracing is primarily for tone, not for strength. But I think it depends on the guitar as to whether the neck and everything else would take the extra tension. Instead of going directly from .010 to .013, why not try something in between?

User Info Menu

There's no bridge plate made of hardwood like on a regular steel string acoustic.

User Info Menu

There is no need for one with a tailpiece and floating bridge.

User Info Menu

Ok, string one up with 13's and wait a year to see what happens. The tailpieces are prone to breaking even with 10's or 11's

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    The bracing is primarily for tone, not for strength. But I think it depends on the guitar as to whether the neck and everything else would take the extra tension. Instead of going directly from .010 to .013, why not try something in between?
    Respectfully, top bracing is there for both structure and tone. The ladder bracing is there to resist the down pressure of the strings on the saddle/bridge. The image below shows traditional bracing patterns for a Petite Bouche.

User Info Menu

Why would you want to do that is maybe the more important question.