Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 49 of 49
  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    Bryant Trenier of Uzes France, has become a highly regarded builder of fine Archtops in the tradition of James D’Aquisto and John D’Angelico. His build methods, choice of woods , plate voicing , bridge design and finishing techniques embody the legacy of these legendary masters.

    As Bryant was approaching his 150th guitar he wanted to celebrate with something very special - and I was honored to be his first choice for the build.

    For many years I have wanted a guitar built to celebrate my collection of Georgian and Regency period furnishings . So I sent Bryant some pics of furnishings and Architectural details from the period.

    I’ve been through enough custom builds over 40 years to know when it comes to an artistic endeavor - it’s best to let the luthier explore his aspirations. Jim D’Aquisto built his world renowned modernistic impression of the Archtop guitar when he was finally liberated from the Excel and New Yorker.

    The “ Georgian” headstock concept incorporates Cuban mahogany , bellflower inlays and Bryants interpretation of period glass pane detail, which actually has a bit of cathedral feel - paying homage to my appreciation for conservatory architecture from the Francesco Tárrega period. The fine green vertical inlay is from the bench of John D’Angelico and acquired through John Monteleone.

    I know this is quite a departure from traditional appointments - but its the journey of “change and possibilities” which make life interesting.

    Here are pics of headstock details , side port and back / side plates- I will post updates as they develop.

  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #2

    User Info Menu

    That is amazing! I'm looking forward to the progress and updates! The wood is so beautiful it reminds me of when Steve Andersen took me through his collection of seasoned and rare instrument wood stored in the cellar of his shop like expensive rare wines! Wonderful!

  4. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by skykomishone
    That is amazing! I'm looking forward to the progress and updates! The wood is so beautiful it reminds me of when Steve Andersen took me through his collection of seasoned and rare instrument wood stored in the cellar of his shop like expensive rare wines! Wonderful!
    Sky, thanks for the enthusiasm. Its going to be a fun and exciting build. I believe the maple is from a 40 year old billet Bryant acquired many years ago. Steve Andersen is a fine builder - ive seen some of his one pc flamed backs which are uniquely rare and extraordinary.

    Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

  5. #4

    User Info Menu

    Exciting! This is going to be a good one! I thought he was based in the US, but it's good to know he is much closer to home.

    Best wishes for it!

  6. #5

    User Info Menu

    This will be an exciting project QA man, in similar vein to Rob here
    i assumed that Bryant was a builder in the US. We look forward to
    the nexr stages of progress. May we wish you good luck with it.

  7. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Exciting! This is going to be a good one! I thought he was based in the US, but it's good to know he is much closer to home.

    Best wishes for it!
    Hi Rob,
    Thanks for the wishes. Bryant moved to France a few years ago. If you like the sonic properties of D’Aquisto and D’Angelico guitars - then a visit might be worth your time.

  8. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by silverfoxx
    This will be an exciting project QA man, in similar vein to Rob here
    i assumed that Bryant was a builder in the US. We look forward to
    the nexr stages of progress. May we wish you good luck with it.
    Silverfox- thanks for the wishes . As I mentioned to Rob- Bryant move to France a few years ago. I hope you get a chance to play a Trenier.

  9. #8

    User Info Menu

    QA,
    I've never had much of a desire to commission a build. Mainly because of my lack of patience and funds. But seeing the builds that You, Vinny and Mikey are in the middle of, gets me excited for my own.
    The sentimental green touch in the headstock, from D'Angelico strikes a chord with me. It would be cool if you can find a small piece in Red or White from D'Aquisto (maybe a paint chip from the old barn in L.I.) and the remaining color get from your friend Monteleone. Put them together as a tribute to the greatest of the greats who just so happen to share our same heritage.
    I am truely happy for you Steve. I hope this one clicks into place for you. I hope its all you ever dreamed it would be.
    Joe D.

  10. #9

    User Info Menu

    Hey, Steve. I'm so happy to see that 150 is in progress. I can already tell that this is going to be a very
    special project for Bryant. A true labor of love. I look forward to as many updates as you're willing to share. Congratulations, my friend!

  11. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    QA,
    I've never had much of a desire to commission a build. Mainly because of my lack of patience and funds. But seeing the builds that You, Vinny and Mikey are in the middle of, gets me excited for my own.
    The sentimental green touch in the headstock, from D'Angelico strikes a chord with me. It would be cool if you can find a small piece in Red or White from D'Aquisto (maybe a paint chip from the old barn in L.I.) and the remaining color get from your friend Monteleone. Put them together as a tribute to the greatest of the greats who just so happen to share our same heritage.
    I am truely happy for you Steve. I hope this one clicks into place for you. I hope its all you ever dreamed it would be.
    Joe D.
    Joe,
    A custom build is certainly very exciting - especially when you have an excellent working relationship with the builder. I’ll see if there are any other colored veneers available.

    This build is different than just ordering off a menu of model choices from a luthier. Its special to me because it incorporates my admiration of 18th century period details into a guitar - and its truly a “one off build”. John Monteleone makes his living building these type of guitars - and it offers the client more of a personal connection to the instrument.

    Bryant wrote to me earlier this evening saying he has some surprises in store for me on this build - what a good friend.

    The journey will be a blast and I’ll share the story for those interested.

  12. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by D'Aquisto Fan
    Hey, Steve. I'm so happy to see that 150 is in progress. I can already tell that this is going to be a very
    special project for Bryant. A true labor of love. I look forward to as many updates as you're willing to share. Congratulations, my friend!
    Michael,
    Nice to hear from you and hope all is well. Can you believe it.....Trenier 150 is in the works. This is a true labor of love and I’m honored Bryant is doing this build for ME.
    I believe this build will open up ideas for other clients who want something different which they can call their own.

    Every time I pick up this guitar it will remind me of two great things in my life ...- period furniture..... and Archtop guitars.

    I’ll keep posting pics as they arrive from Uzes.

  13. #12

    User Info Menu

    QAman,

    This will be Your third Trenier guitar?
    Thanks again for help me with the guitar decision. I must wait till the end of this year, but with your pictures of working progress it will be easier.

    You deserve 150th masterwork!! ..I will be pleased with simple 151st or 152nd.

  14. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Fal Tarlow
    QAman,

    This will be Your third Trenier guitar?
    Thanks again for help me with the guitar decision. I must wait till the end of this year, but with your pictures of working progress it will be easier.

    You deserve 150th masterwork!! ..I will be pleased with simple 151st or 152nd.
    Fal,
    The " Georgian " is going to be a great build. Your decision to buy a Trenier will enable you to experience the Jimmy D or John D vibe depending upon what model you ordered. Bryants guitars have this fantastic sustain ....its organ like....no other way to explain it. As for qty that I own - ill send you a pm.

    Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

  15. #14

    User Info Menu

    The tone Pasquale gets is proof in the pudding. I only wish I was 5 years younger. I would get on the wait list. I was blessed with a DAQNY for 31 years so I can't whine but a sincere Congrats Steve. Bryant took the DAQ torch and ran with it. Jimmy lives on through Bryant's hands. Gorgeous wood. It will be a magical lap cannon I am sure. That sound port is going to mess up your nice head of hair I am afraid. Use a little of your wife's hairspray before you play it or a baseball cap with a chin strap ...LOL

  16. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    The tone Pasquale gets is proof in the pudding. I only wish I was 5 years younger. I would get on the wait list. I was blessed with a DAQNY for 31 years so I can't whine but a sincere Congrats Steve. Bryant took the DAQ torch and ran with it. Jimmy lives on through Bryant's hands. Gorgeous wood. It will be a magical lap cannon I am sure. That sound port is going to mess up your nice head of hair I am afraid. Use a little of your wife's hairspray before you play it or a baseball cap with a chin strap ...LOL
    Its so true about Bryant taking the torch and running with it. He is so passionate about keeping the Jimmy and John tradition alive. He told me the other day his hands have developed a techinque to improve the recure and squeeze even more sound out of the box. Hes at that point where each guitar has a predictable outcome......a real whopper as Jimmy would say.

    You might be right about the hairspray or hat, when I play John M's side port guitars you can feel the breeze.....the sound experience for the player is profound. I ordered this feature because I lost partial hearing in my left ear last year, and I now wear an Oticon hearing device. Thank god im blessed with a lot of hair to cover the little receiver.

    All is good Vinny, we are both blessed by the man above and I never take it for granted. Thanks for always being a supportive friend.





    Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by QAman; 01-31-2020 at 11:01 PM.

  17. #16

    User Info Menu

    Steve,

    Congrats on your build. I’m excited for you and looking forward to seeing it come to life!

    Cheers!
    Sam

  18. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by sbeishline
    Steve,

    Congrats on your build. I’m excited for you and looking forward to seeing it come to life!

    Cheers!
    Sam
    Thanks Sam - it’s going to be an interesting build with some unique features.....and I’m also excited to see the progress.

    I’ll share the progress as pics arrive.

  19. #18

    User Info Menu

    A lot of current archtop builders including Gibson don't have a prominent recurve like Bryant's archtops. That prominent recurve plays a huge factor on sound decay. Bryant learned this from Jimmy who learned it from John. Way more carving work but necessary if you want a lap piano. A must for a great acoustic archtop. For a electric archtop no as it will feedback big time. Great acoustic archtops will always have a great recurve. They go hand in hand. Steve we are very excited. Hope the good Lord gives you many years to enjoy it.

  20. #19

    User Info Menu

    Steve, I hope your commission results in an instrument that truly inspires you . I am very much enjoying my Trenier Artifex particularly as it opens up over its first year of play.

    I actually just dropped my Trenier off with Bill Comins on Friday to have him modify the pickguard mounting. Bryant mounted the pickguard very close in height to the high E string (only about 1/8” below the string) and I prefer more clearance (1/4”-3/8”) to both rest my fingers and plectrum stroke.

    I look forward to watching this one come to life on Bryant’s bench...

  21. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    A lot of current archtop builders including Gibson don't have a prominent recurve like Bryant's archtops. That prominent recurve plays a huge factor on sound decay. Bryant learned this from Jimmy who learned it from John. Way more carving work but necessary if you want a lap piano. A must for a great acoustic archtop. For a electric archtop no as it will feedback big time. Great acoustic archtops will always have a great recurve. They go hand in hand. Steve we are very excited. Hope the good Lord gives you many years to enjoy it.
    Vinny,
    Thanks for the kind worlds . The recurve is critical in determining the reactive forces applied by the strings , sort of like a trampoline.

    Getting it just right is the magic.

  22. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7
    Steve, I hope your commission results in an instrument that truly inspires you . I am very much enjoying my Trenier Artifex particularly as it opens up over its first year of play.

    I actually just dropped my Trenier off with Bill Comins on Friday to have him modify the pickguard mounting. Bryant mounted the pickguard very close in height to the high E string (only about 1/8” below the string) and I prefer more clearance (1/4”-3/8”) to both rest my fingers and plectrum stroke.

    I look forward to watching this one come to life on Bryant’s bench...
    Bob,
    Glad your enjoying the Trenier. I also need a height adjustment on my Comins Classic pickup height - it’s very close to the strings and Im constantly touching the pickup with my pick - resulting in a clicking noise during recording. Fortunately it’s an easy fix. Bill is a fine luthier and a great guy.

    Bryant informed me about some surprises, so I’m excited to see how it develops. I own a few of his guitars - so he knows all my preferences with scale , neck shape , set up - etc.

    I’ll keep you all informed as build info is provided.

  23. #22
    Just received update from Bryant Trenier. He’s carving the plates this week. Here is a pic of roughed maple back and neck blank.

    His family is healthy - and no one has contracted the virus.

    The Trenier “ Georgian “ serial number 150-img_0120-jpg
    The Trenier “ Georgian “ serial number 150-img_5465-jpg

  24. #23

    User Info Menu

    Getting excited yet? I would need to meditate on a regular basis!

  25. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by skykomishone
    Getting excited yet? I would need to meditate on a regular basis!
    Yes- getting excited for sure. It has some very special Euro tone wood that’s going to produce great sonic qualities.

  26. #25

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by QAman
    Just received update from Bryant Trenier. He’s carving the plates this week. Here is a pic of roughed maple back and neck blank.

    His family is healthy - and no one has contracted the virus.

    The Trenier “ Georgian “ serial number 150-img_0120-jpg
    The Trenier “ Georgian “ serial number 150-img_5465-jpg
    Fantastic, Steve! Happy to see the wheels are back in motion. Especially glad to hear Bryant and his family are well. I hope the same is true for
    you and yours!

  27. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by D'Aquisto Fan
    Fantastic, Steve! Happy to see the wheels are back in motion. Especially glad to hear Bryant and his family are well. I hope the same is true for
    you and yours!
    Thanks Michael - all well here. Although, gradual closures in progress. Wishing the best to you and the family.

  28. #27

    User Info Menu

    As a woodworker and guitarist I get a woody just looking at that! Exciting!

    I wonder if he uses a template and drills depth holes, or uses a CNC machine, or just carves it by instinct? Curious.

  29. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    As a woodworker and guitarist I get a woody just looking at that! Exciting!

    I wonder if he uses a template and drills depth holes, or uses a CNC machine, or just carves it by instinct? Curious.
    Dr J,
    Bryant roughs his plates out using a mold and pantograph. This is how Jimmy D ,John M and most builders rough their plates.


  30. #29
    The Trenier Georgian is moving along -the back was just glued to the sides and Bryant is carving the spruce top. It’s the cutaway.

    The Trenier “ Georgian “ serial number 150-img_5498-jpg

  31. #30

    User Info Menu

    Stevie, another work of art coming together nicely.
    I saw Bryant playing some Johnny Smith stuff. My kinda guy!
    Stay well buddy
    JD

  32. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    Stevie, another work of art coming together nicely.
    I saw Bryant playing some Johnny Smith stuff. My kinda guy!
    Stay well buddy
    JD
    Thanke Joe.....its coming along nicely. Top being carved and braced in the next few days. This one is going to be very special.
    Hope all is well .....

    Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

  33. #32
    The Trenier Georgian - serial number 1150 is moving along. Here are a few updates today from Uzes France. Since Bellflower inlays are the main theme, Bryant added one on interior neck block - viewed through the side port. I have a feeling he might continue this down the neck - but that’s entirely up to him.





  34. #33

    User Info Menu

    Coming along nicely! I would be climbing the walls in anticipation. Stay strong!

  35. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    Coming along nicely! I would be climbing the walls in anticipation. Stay strong!
    Thanks ! I’ve been through many builds - the key is to be patient and just let the luthier do his thing. It gets very exciting at this point - because once the neck is finished and mounted to the body ....the guitar is born.

    What’s really nice is that Bryant knows just what I like - so no anxiety with trying to communicate needs.

  36. #35

    User Info Menu

    [QUOTE=QAman;1020146]The Trenier Georgian - serial number 1150 is moving along. Here are a few updates today from Uzes France. Since Bellflower inlays are the main theme, Bryant added one on interior neck block - viewed through the side port. I have a feeling he might continue this down the neck - but that’s entirely up to him.

    That looks fabulous, Steve! Love the sound port. Thanks for sharing the pictures. I'm living vicariously through you! Stay well, my friend!




    [/Q

  37. #36
    Thanks Michael....its getting exciting.

    Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

  38. #37

    User Info Menu

    QA, coming along nicely. I must say, that Is one heck of a port. That guitar will not have any problem letting sound out that is for sure.
    I love how the sound hole is not only a sound hole, but a window that showcases the magnificent workmanship inside the guitar as well.
    Getting pretty exciting!
    Joe D

  39. #38

    User Info Menu

    Steve,
    I think everyone is champing at the bit waiting for the next episode
    in this build, I've never seen a Trenier in the flesh but its already
    looking good in the rough.It must be nail biting waiting ,like anticipation
    of an Oscar nomination. I agree with Joe about the sound port.

    Silverfoxx

  40. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by silverfoxx
    Steve,
    I think everyone is champing at the bit waiting for the next episode
    in this build, I've never seen a Trenier in the flesh but its already
    looking good in the rough.It must be nail biting waiting ,like anticipation
    of an Oscar nomination. I agree with Joe about the sound port.

    Silverfoxx
    Thanks Alan. The side port is consistent with that used on John Monteleone guitars and delivers a “ headphone” like experience.

    Usually at this point of the build - I’m about 8 - 10 weeks away from completion.

    I’ll keep you guys posted with updates as they arrive.

  41. #40

    User Info Menu

    Looking through that port I imagined I was looking at someones really nice music room. Just needs furniture.

  42. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by Archtop Guy
    Looking through that port I imagined I was looking at someones really nice music room. Just needs furniture.
    Wow- that’s quite an imagination...... I like it.
    Bryants workmanship is very tidy. The sound port makes such a huge difference. I play guitars at John Monteleone’s all the time - and nearly all of his builds have a sound port.

    I think if more people had experience with playing sound port guitars - they would truly hear the difference.

  43. #42
    Here is a recent listing of a Monteleone Radio flyer with similar sound port - mine has one upper port instead of two.

    Don’t gasp at price - but this is what a used high end Monteleone will cost you.

    Monteleone Radio Flyer 2004 natural Monteleone Radio Flyer 2004 natural | Van Hoose Vintage | Reverb

  44. #43

    User Info Menu

    Oh the agony, knowing full well what's happening in France of all places! I hope Bryant is happy living in that quaint town. He's but a stones throw from Marseille, Nice, and Cannes! We're talking 4 hours to Monte Carlo! I applaud your tastes Steve! That's one gorgeous and unique Trenier! Congratulations!

  45. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Oh the agony, knowing full well what's happening in France of all places! I hope Bryant is happy living in that quaint town. He's but a stones throw from Marseille, Nice, and Cannes! We're talking 4 hours to Monte Carlo! I applaud your tastes Steve! That's one gorgeous and unique Trenier! Congratulations!
    2b,
    Thank you ! Bryants family is happy in Uzes - and they are all currently doing well. He wrote yesterday saying he’s working on the neck for this build - and its taking on a personality of its own - and that pics will be coming shortly. This will be a very beautiful guitar when its finished - and I know it will be an acoustic cannon.

  46. #45
    Here are some pics just sent to me from Bryant. He has quite a few builds happening. The Georgian faceplate is mounted and looking real nice. It’s a very unique build made just for me.....a totally “ one off” guitar




    The Cuban mahogany.....inlay lines, ebony background and shaded MOP will really come to life when it’s sprayed.

  47. #46

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by QAman
    Here are some pics just sent to me from Bryant. He has quite a few builds happening. The Georgian faceplate is mounted and looking real nice. It’s a very unique build made just for me.....a totally “ one off” guitar




    The Cuban mahogany.....inlay lines, ebony background and shaded MOP will really come to life when it’s sprayed.
    That looks fantastic, Steve! Thanks for sending the pictures. Living vicariously through you!

  48. #47

    User Info Menu

    QAman that is going to be a treat cannot wait to here you impressions when you get it.

  49. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by D'Aquisto Fan
    That looks fantastic, Steve! Thanks for sending the pictures. Living vicariously through you!
    Michael - thanks .....it’s coming along. Bryant just finished dovetailing 6 guitars.
    I’m sure one of those 6 is your electric.

  50. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    QAman that is going to be a treat cannot wait to here you impressions when you get it.
    Hi Mark - it’s going to be a treat for sure. Bryant told me the top and back plates were some of his best boards sonically. He knows I playing acoustically- so the goal is a huge voice.