The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
Posts 176 to 200 of 228

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by QAman
    AKA,
    Thank you ! So nice to hear from you and I hope all is well. Here is a pic of the guitar with a good look at the tail piece in relationship to the entire instrument. If you have any ideas about a personal theme build - now may be a good time to give a shout out to Bryant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If I could afford it, I'd love to order a 17" Broadway in walnut.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Quote Originally Posted by DaShigsta
    QAman, yours is such a beautiful instrument !

Looking forward to the sounds.

I want to have a new acoustic archtop or classical guitar
    built in the future, so I'll think about it !
    DaSigsta,
    Thanks for visiting the post - and for the kind words. I don’t recognize your forum name - and I’m always glad to know a Trenier admirer.
    Of course I recommend Bryant for Archtops, and if you want a nice Classical guitar go to the website of Michael Thames. He made me a replica of the famous Torres FE-17, which was played by Tarrega for most of his career.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk1701
    If I could afford it, I'd love to order a 17" Broadway in walnut.

Kirk1701,
    A 17” Broadway with a walnut back is a fabulous choice. I’ll keep my eyes open for you on the used market.

User Info Menu

Friday!??? Omg, stop the presses! Today is Friday!!!!

DaShigsta Guest
    Hi QAman,

I've only joined the forum at the beginning of November, so I'm a newbie here...
    I was fortunate to have met Pasquale and heard/seen his Trenier at the beginning of April 2019
    when he was over here (Cologne/Germany) to do a project with the WDR Big Band (Ld/Arr by Chris Byars),
    which is my regular 'day gig' since 1999. His guitar sounded great, with or without an amp, so this made a big impression on me !
    And btw, I've been reading your insightful comments re:Trenier, his development and the D'Aquisto angle with great interest !
    As for classical guitar - thank you for the Thames link - I'm looking for a shorter scale Torres/Hauser/Weissgerber type instrument.

Thank you & best wishes, Paul Shigihara

DaSigsta,
    Thanks for visiting the post - and for the kind words. I don’t recognize your forum name - and I’m always glad to know a Trenier admirer.
    Of course I recommend Bryant for Archtops, and if you want a nice Classical guitar go to the website of Michael Thames.
    He made me a replica of the famous Torres FE-17, which was played by Tarrega for most of his career.

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Friday!??? Omg, stop the presses! Today is Friday!!!!
    Hi 2b,
    Unfortunately, my shipment is held up in Cincinnati Ohio for the weekend. It’s a long story. Very disappointed , but not much I can do about it. Fortunately, it’s in a high end Calton case - but will now require more acclimation than originally expected.

Hi QAman,

I've only joined the forum at the beginning of November, so I'm a newbie here...
    I was fortunate to have met Pasquale and heard/seen his Trenier at the beginning of April 2019
    when he was over here (Cologne/Germany) to do a project with the WDR Big Band (Ld/Arr by Chris Byars),
    which is my regular 'day gig' since 1999. His guitar sounded great, with or without an amp, so this made a big impression on me !
    And btw, I've been reading your insightful comments re:Trenier, his development and the D'Aquisto angle with great interest !
    As for classical guitar - thank you for the Thames link - I'm looking for a shorter scale Torres/Hauser/Weissgerber type instrument.

Thank you & best wishes, Paul Shigihara
    Paul,
    Welcome to the forum ! This is a great place to share knowledge and enjoy the endless stories pertaining to the evolution of jazz - and all the great guitars.

I watched some of the WDR videos and I loved them. The musicianship was off the charts - and you must be honored to be part of that talent pool.

DaShigsta Guest
    Oh well... after 21 years playing with brass/reed sections I'm looking forward
    to 'retiring' from big band playing next year. Only small groups and solo guitar from then on.
    A Trenier guitar would be an added bonus...

Paul,
    ... and you must be honored to be part of that talent pool.

Oh well... after 21 years playing with brass/reed sections I'm looking forward
    to 'retiring' from big band playing next year. Only small groups and solo guitar from then on.
    A Trenier guitar would be an added bonus...
    Paul,
    A small group approach sounds like a great new direction for you. If you liked Pasquale’s guitar- it’s a good time to order one. Bryant is nearly caught up with his backlog.

Last edited by QAman; 12-04-2020 at 03:49 PM.

User Info Menu

Steve, do you happen to know what John Monteleone's concept was behind tapering his tailpiece the opposite direction as most other builders (e.g. closer to the bridge on the low E side where most are closer to the bridge on the high E side)? I see Bryant went with this design approach for your tailpiece on #150. I see that he did this on his wife's guitar as well. I have seen Cris Mirabella do it as well.

Curious?

Hi Bob,
    I don’t know the absolute reasoning behind the diagonal flip - but I will find out.

Jim D’Aquisto used to speak about the length of string from bridge to tail pc. The longer the string the looser, shorter tighter. His analogy was based on tightrope. The shorter the rope the less string deflection.

It might relate to controlling string tension and tonal balance - not sure , but I will find out.

Great observation!

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=QAman;1079965]Kirk1701,
    A 17” Broadway with a walnut back is a fabulous choice. I’ll keep my eyes open for you on the used market.

Here's one that Steve mentioned awhile ago at Larry Wexer's

2013 Trenier Broadway Sunburst > Guitars Archtop Electric & Acoustic | Laurence Wexer Ltd.

User Info Menu

Hi 2b,
    Unfortunately, my shipment is held up in Cincinnati Ohio for the weekend. It’s a long story. Very disappointed , but not much I can do about it. Fortunately, it’s in a high end Calton case - but will now require more acclimation than originally expected.
    THAT sucks..
    Sorry Steve.
    JD

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    THAT sucks..
    Sorry Steve.
    JD
    Hi Joe, the delay is unfortunate , but im hearing similar stories from other business colleagues.
    I'm just glad Bryant sent it over in his Calton Flight Case.

Here is a YT review of these Calton cases

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

It seems that every item being shipped during the nexus of the added pandemic commerce and holiday rush are all extensively delayed. You should get it soon (fingers crossed).

Regarding flight cases, if you travel with your guitar regularly in the car or by plane they are a must to protect a fine instrument. Tony P basically gave a 45 minute infomercial for Calton but depending on the type and size of your instrument, there are excellent options by not only Calton, but Hoffee, Karura and Visesnut as well.

Home | Calton Cases
    Hoffee Cases, inc | Acoustic Guitar Cases, Musical Instrument Cases, Custom Guitar Cases
    Karura Case | Home
    Classical guitar hard case: Best guitar flight case to protect your instrument when you travelling | Visesnut Cases: flightcases for professional guitarists

Unlike what Tony is suggesting, I do not believe in storing guitars my in them, because I find that guitars that is out of sight get played less and placing them in and out are opportunities for dings with the lid or latches given the snug fit. Myself, I prefer to keep my guitars out on a rack in a humidified room at home.
    Last edited by iim7V7IM7; 12-05-2020 at 12:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7
    It seems that every item being shipped during the nexus of the added pandemic commerce and holiday rush are all extensively delayed. You should get it soon (fingers crossed).

Regarding flight cases, if you travel with your guitar regularly in the car or by plane they are a must to protect a fine instrument. Tony P basically gave a 45 minute infomercial for Calton but depending on the type and size of your instrument, there are excellent options by not only Calton, but Hoffee, Karura and Visesnut as well.

Home | Calton Cases
    Hoffee Cases, inc | Acoustic Guitar Cases, Musical Instrument Cases, Custom Guitar Cases
    Karura Case | Home
    Classical guitar hard case: Best guitar flight case to protect your instrument when you travelling | Visesnut Cases: flightcases for professional guitarists

Unlike what Tony is suggesting, I do not believe in storing guitars my in them, because I find that guitars that is out of sight get played less and placing them in and out are opportunities for dings with the lid or latches given the snug fit. Myself, I prefer to keep my guitars out on a rack in a humidified room at home.
    Hi Bob,
    I agree with your opinion on the cases. Taking guitars in and out of a case has its risks for sure. I intend on keeping the new Trenier out of the Calton case - and I’ll use the Calton for transporting in the future.
    I use to keep my guitars out on stands in my climate controlled guitar room, but due to limited space I only now keep a few out - the others reside in their case.

Having guitars on stands next to each other can also be a risk with a domino affect , but not so much with a rack. With regard to hanging guitars on a wall - I’m dead set against this practice - but everyone does it.

You can always tell a wall hanger from the marks left on neck. Also, if you hang on an interior was adjacent to an exterior wall in the winter - it could reduce the moisture content of that instrument and dry it out , unless you have a good climate control process in place.

Furthermore, if you have hot air heat with a register at the base of your guitar wall ( which is where they reside) - guess what happens.......the dry heat rises right up the wall towards your guitar.

User Info Menu

I have this rack and it can hold up to 12 guitars and is quite compact (38” wide x 74” high x 18” deep). I keep it against an interior wall for the reasons you suggest.

Alpha/Bravo14 — DRS racks

I am fortunate not to have forced hot air heating. My house has hot water baseboard heating. My guitar room is not huge 10’ x 20” and is a dual use room (home office). I keep a large evaporative humidifier with two 2-3/4” gallon reservoirs (similar to the type Stan Jay use to use in rooms at Mandolin Brothers). Depending on the weather I can keep the room between 40-50% and not need to refill for as little as 5 days to as much as 30 days. I use the humidifier from mid-October to mid-May.

I was actually playing my Trenier Artifex this morning...

Hi Bob,
    I agree with your opinion on the cases. Taking guitars in and out of a case has its risks for sure. I intend on keeping the new Trenier out of the Calton case - and I’ll use the Calton for transporting in the future.
    I use to keep my guitars out on stands in my climate controlled guitar room, but due to limited space I only now keep a few out - the others reside in their case.

Having guitars on stands next to each other can also be a risk with a domino affect , but not so much with a rack. With regard to hanging guitars on a wall - I’m dead set against this practice - but everyone does it.

You can always tell a wall hanger from the marks left on neck. Also, if you hang on an interior was adjacent to an exterior wall in the winter - it could reduce the moisture content of that instrument and dry it out , unless you have a good climate control process in place.

Furthermore, if you have hot air heat with a register at the base of your guitar wall ( which is where they reside) - guess what happens.......the dry heat rises right up the wall towards your guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7
    I have this rack and it can hold up to 12 guitars and is quite compact (38” wide x 74” high x 18” deep). I keep it against an interior wall for the reasons you suggest.

Alpha/Bravo14 — DRS racks

I am fortunate not to have forced hot air heating. My house has hot water baseboard heating. My guitar room is not huge 10’ x 20” and is a dual use room (home office). I keep a large evaporative humidifier with two 2-3/4” gallon reservoirs (similar to the type Stan Jay use to use in rooms at Mandolin Brothers). Depending on the weather I can keep the room between 40-50% and not need to refill for as little as 5 days to as much as 30 days. I use the humidifier from mid-October to mid-May.

I was actually playing my Trenier Artifex this morning...
    Bob, sounds like you have things well under control -as I suspected you would.
    I like that modular rack - its a great idea. If I owned one I would secure it to the wall.

Glad to hear you were playing your Trenier Artifex, its a stunning instrument.

User Info Menu

You could do that Steve, but keep in mind that when I say “against” an interior wall, I really mean 4” to 5” off the wall. With this rack design you need this clearance for the headstocks angled back to not hit the wall. You could design wooden pieces that you screw to the wall. I place the archtops on the lower shelf because they are heavier and flattops and nylon string guitars on the upper shelf because they are lighter. It is remarkably rigid and stable for a 40 lb. free standing unit especially when loaded with 60 lbs of guitars on it.

Thanks for pointing that out Bob. I would have to rig up some space blocks so the guitars don't hit the wall. I would also put the lighter guitars up top as you do.

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=marcut;1080327]
    Kirk1701,

Here's one that Steve mentioned awhile ago at Larry Wexer's

2013 Trenier Broadway Sunburst > Guitars Archtop Electric & Acoustic | Laurence Wexer Ltd.
    That's beautiful. Forgot all about it. Not a bad price either. The Jimmy D style top is just a bit too much for my tastes. At these prices we can afford to be picky right?

I really must compliment your design choices on The Georgian. It's very much a New Yorker in the Georgian style, rather than Art Deco. Very bold, yet elegant. I'm anxious to hear if the tone matches. I'm certain it will.

[QUOTE=Kirk1701;1080696]
    Quote Originally Posted by marcut
    That's beautiful. Forgot all about it. Not a bad price either. The Jimmy D style top is just a bit too much for my tastes. At these prices we can afford to be picky right?

I really must compliment your design choices on The Georgian. It's very much a New Yorker in the Georgian style, rather than Art Deco. Very bold, yet elegant. I'm anxious to hear if the tone matches. I'm certain it will.
    Kirk1701,
    Thanks for the kind words - much appreciated. And I agree, at these prices we should be picky and not compromise on what we want.

The design was entirely Bryants , and based off of the period furniture and architectural detailed photos I provided.

The thin piece of green wood in the headstock is from the bench of John D’Angelico, and provided by John Monteleone. This is all set into a Cuban Mahogany veneer. Bryant worked on this headstock for several days.

I should have the guitar tomorrow - but will allow it to acclimate for most of the day before opening it up.

I will provide some audio after getting acquainted with the instrument.

User Info Menu

QAman and all,

I haven't been here in years and years, but thanks for the reminder of what's good and important. Beautiful build and experience.

Now, off to play mine. (#1069 and #1099)

kamlapati - YouTube

Best to all of you, stay good, and kind.

K

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=QAman;1080710]
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk1701
    Kirk1701,
    Thanks for the kind words - much appreciated. And I agree, at these prices we should be picky and not compromise on what we want.

The design was entirely Bryants , and based off of the period furniture and architectural detailed photos I provided.

The thin piece of green wood in the headstock is from the bench of John D’Angelico, and provided by John Monteleone. This is all set into a Cuban Mahogany veneer. Bryant worked on this headstock for several days.

I should have the guitar tomorrow - but will allow it to acclimate for most of the day before opening it up.

I will provide some audio after getting acquainted with the instrument.

I wasn’t aware the headstock had the John D connection. Lovely.

The headstock design is the one thing I'm not immediately loving. I can't imagine what I would've done differently, but it feels almost out-of-place with the rest of the guitar. It may just be the shock of the new. I trust the artist in this case.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kamlapati
    QAman and all,

I haven't been here in years and years, but thanks for the reminder of what's good and important. Beautiful build and experience.

Now, off to play mine. (#1069 and #1099)

kamlapati - YouTube

Best to all of you, stay good, and kind.

K
    Welcome back, Kalampati! Don't be a stranger! Be well!