The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Posts 101 to 125 of 228
    Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    As a practical matter, 95+ % of my gigging life was plugged in with pickups, and much of the rest was acoustic guitars amplified via mics or some kind of pickup (The exception was my bell brass-bodied Dobro. When they went to mic for a show I was doing at a small theater, I told them 'You're not going to need that."). It is only in the intimacy of the practice room or the private salon that the true sound of the acoustic archtop can be deeply appreciated, in my experience. Commercial exigencies prevail. A guy's gotta eat, and new strings aren't free...

Nevertheless, playing my archtops (not high-end but nonetheless treasured) acoustically remains a profound pleasure.
    Great prespective, you certainly need amplification for most gigging situations for sure. I'm a hobby player / collector, and when I did play in bands 40 years ago, I was playing Duane Allman solos on two Les Pauls, one standard tuning, and the other tuned to open E. I could play the Fillmore album " note for note", wore out 2 vinyls learning the solos.

Those gigs were fun, but caused hearing loss in my left ear , and my appreciation for acoustic archtop guitars was born.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I'm a retired Carpenter of 50 some years and I can't get enough. It has me plotting and scheming on where to start, although I have the basic parts for a Dreadnought. If I wrap up a deal next week as planned, I'll have my hands on an old, homemade, rough around the edges, archtop. At this point everything's up in the air so we'll see how it goes.

As far as the acoustic sound, I'm with you on that 100%. I rarely turn on my amp when practicing. I enjoy the electric sound too but acoustic has something more natural about it. I'm happy to have come across such great workmanship here and I'm amazed with such precise artistry.

Quote Originally Posted by QAman
    Thanks 2b. Nice to see some people on this forum still appreciate carved acoustic Archtop guitar builds. I’m thinking this particular build would have likely found more interest on the Acoustic Guitar Forum.

I’ve realized ( over time) that this forum consists of players gravitating more towards the electric plug in experience - with less interest in un-amplified straight acoustic instruments.

User Info Menu

Steve, unfortunately they are not interested over there as well.... I have posted builds of Comins, Trenier and most recently a Buscarino over there. You are absolutely correct where the center of gravity of this forum resides. The appreciation of a superlative carved acoustic archtop guitar has unfortunately become a true “niche” group. For what it is worth, I have been watching and enjoying this thread.

Thanks 2b. Nice to see some people on this forum still appreciate carved acoustic Archtop guitar builds. I’m thinking this particular build would have likely found more interest on the Acoustic Guitar Forum.

I’ve realized ( over time) that this forum consists of players gravitating more towards the electric plug in experience - with less interest in un-amplified straight acoustic instruments.

Quote Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7
    Steve, unfortunately they are not interested over there as well.... I have posted builds of Comins, Trenier and most recently a Buscarino over there. You are absolutely correct where the center of gravity of this forum resides. The appreciation of a superlative carved acoustic archtop guitar has unfortunately become a true “niche” group. For what it is worth, I have been watching and enjoying this thread.
    Bob,
    It’s too bad we don’t see the interest or appreciation for these straight acoustic custom builds. It might be a result of limited exposure to these great instruments. I feel blessed to have enjoyed owning and playing these guitars.
    I’m glad you continue to patronize our talented builders and share the experience with our membership. Your recent Buscarino build is breathtaking - just perfect execution of wood , design and finish application. The toasted almond finish is remarkable.
    Glad your enjoying my build. Perhaps when COVID clears we can get together- I’d love to play some of your guitars.

For those interested - just received these updated pics
    s from Bryant.

User Info Menu

The color and binding look spectacular!

User Info Menu

Wow!

Beautiful! I look forward to end of your expectations .. so Bryant can start working on my project.

Stay tuned and healthy!
    Last edited by Fal Tarlow; 10-28-2020 at 10:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fal Tarlow
    Wow!

Beautiful! I look forward to end of your expectations .. so Bryant can start working on my project.

Stay tuned and healthy!
    I’m in the home stretch now. I know Bryant is currently spraying 6 guitars , and not sure if your in this batch. I know the owners of the 3 Jazz electrics, but know nothing about the other 2.

User Info Menu

I’m in the home stretch now. I know Bryant is currently spraying 6 guitars , and not sure if your in this batch. I know the owners of the 3 Jazz electrics, but know nothing about the other 2.
    Unfortunately my guitar is not in this batch, next is mine.. and I am looking forward of each that is finished.

Stretch your fingers for new video clip with this beauty please.

User Info Menu

For those interested - just received these updated pics
    s from Bryant.

That looks warm and delicious, Steve!! Thanks for sharing the pictures with everyone!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie2
    The color and binding look spectacular!
    Indeed! Not to steal the OP's thunder, but I think I have the exact same side/back color and binding* on my 2020 laminate Jazz Special and everyone who's seen it in person has just had their jaw drop. OP will be extremely happy with the in-person result.

(*though I think my neck binding is slightly darker)

Quote Originally Posted by coolvinny
    Indeed! Not to steal the OP's thunder, but I think I have the exact same side/back color and binding* on my 2020 laminate Jazz Special and everyone who's seen it in person has just had their jaw drop. OP will be extremely happy with the in-person result.

(*though I think my neck binding is slightly darker)
    Coolvinny,
    Yes- I think your right - our colors appear to be the same - which is fantastic.

Bryants finish work and shading is so impressive - especially “in hand” ( as you noted).

The excitement is starting to build - knowing I’ll have this guitar before the end of this year.

User Info Menu

I appreciate an acoustic even more than an electric. They’re built differently. Anyone can slap on electronics to a thick heavy guitar and make it sound okay. But can you create a delicate instrument in the true sense of the word, and make it to have a voice that matches its aesthetic value? No, it truly takes a custom builder to fill that requirement. I can’t wait until your guitar is complete so you can enjoy it. Did I say I’m happy it’s in Sunburst?

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    I appreciate an acoustic even more than an electric. They’re built differently. Anyone can slap on electronics to a thick heavy guitar and make it sound okay. But can you create a delicate instrument in the true sense of the word, and make it to have a voice that matches its aesthetic value? No, it truly takes a custom builder to fill that requirement. I can’t wait until your guitar is complete so you can enjoy it. Did I say I’m happy it’s in Sunburst?
    2b,
    I appreciate your comments - I too admire what it takes to make a great acoustic Archtop. Bryant has found a way to bring the best attributes of a pre war acoustic Archtop into a modern interpretation- inspired by Jim D’Aquisto.

In the nearly 8 years of my friendship with Bryant I have seen his interpretation and development of the Archtop turn into something real special.

As with all the great builders - Bryant has developed his own unique voice - which in my opinion incorporates the best attributes of a flat top ( rich bass and sustain) and an Archtop( fat trebles and a sweet woody mid range).

Since I predominately play chord melody un amplified - a Trenier guitar is a perfect match for my style of playing.
    Last edited by QAman; 11-01-2020 at 09:07 PM.

User Info Menu

Thought some of you might like this...(Pasquale G)

Quote Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7
    Thought some of you might like this...(Pasquale G)

Bob,
    Thanks for sharing. Great singing and playing. Pasquale Grasso has become a World renowned master guitarist. This man can choose to play any guitar, and his choice is the Trenier - for its rich , creamy , warm balanced tone.

Ive heard Pasquale sound like a piano at times on Bryants guitar.

My Georgian will have strings on in about two weeks. I'm getting
    real excited, because I know it will be a spectacular instrument.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk

Bryant just posted some information on his Facebook page about Pasquale’s guitar and his appreciation for the music.

Trenier Guitars - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twXfT3NT_... | Facebook

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just got an update today from the bench of
    Bryant Trenier. The Georgian is in final set up and beginning to make some sounds.

Here are A few pics.

Bryant still has to buff out bridge/ saddle and mount finger rest. He’s currently tweaking in saddle and nut slotting - which has a profound affect on the overall tone of the instrument.

A guitar can only reach its full potential with a proper set up.

User Info Menu

Looks great! I was just wondering where this was in the process today. Looking forward to seeing the final and would love to hear it as well

User Info Menu

Bryant just posted some information on his Facebook page about Pasquale’s guitar and his appreciation for the music.

Those Jazz Specials are just amazingly beautiful...

User Info Menu

Wow - just beautiful, Steve - bet your anticipation is really peaking now : )

Quote Originally Posted by MCampellone
    Wow - just beautiful, Steve - bet your anticipation is really peaking now : )
    Mark - it gets real exciting at this point. Bryants initial reaction after stringing it up was “ it’s going to be a whopper”. That was a Jim D’Aquisto reference to a real good one.

Thanks for taking a look - and keep up the great work Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by guido5

Those Jazz Specials are just amazingly beautiful...
    Yes- Bryants Jazz electrics are awesome . I will never part with mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie2
    Looks great! I was just wondering where this was in the process today. Looking forward to seeing the final and would love to hear it as well
    Paulie2,
    Thanks for following the build - its nearly completed . I’ll make some audio clips when it’s in my hands.

User Info Menu

Lovely sunburst!