The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Posts 76 to 100 of 228

User Info Menu

Looks great and I'm sure it will sound stunning with the sound port!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Quote Originally Posted by coolvinny
    Looks great and I'm sure it will sound stunning with the sound port!
    Thanks Coolvinny-it will sounds amazing I’m sure. Hope your enjoying your Jazz electric.

User Info Menu

Hey Steve - just noticed that you'd started this thread for your Trenier build - eager to see more pics - looks like this guitar should be something really special!!

Quote Originally Posted by MCampellone
    Hey Steve - just noticed that you'd started this thread for your Trenier build - eager to see more pics - looks like this guitar should be something really special!!
    Hi Mark - thanks for taking a look. Yes, this is a very special build and I will post more pics as it progresses. The neck was glued in yesterday - and next is the final back carving / sanding then finish prep.

So glad you joined the forum - your presence has brought great enthusiasm and interest from so many members. Myself and several others folks really enjoy owning your guitars and watching your magnificent builds.

More update pics from Bryant. The body just before mounting the neck , neck mounted and a side view of the top fit.

User Info Menu

That is such a beautiful work of art. Definitely going to follow this build.

User Info Menu

Fal Tarlow- Thanks so much for posting the link. This is exactly how Jim D’Aquisto finish carved the back of his guitars . It was always done after the neck was attached - and involved a very intuitive process of carving , scraping and tapping.

Pic of back almost finished - just some final recurve scraping and more tap tuning left to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogfaceboy
    That is such a beautiful work of art. Definitely going to follow this build.
    Dougfaceboy,
    Thanks for the nice comments. This is going to be a very special guitar and I’m glad your following the build. Bryant has some great ideas for the finish, tail pc and pick-guard.

Some update pics. The guitar was just sprayed with clear this past Thursday and the sunburst going on this weekend.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by QAman
    Some update pics. The guitar was just sprayed with clear this past Thursday and the sunburst going on this weekend.

That looks amazing, Steve! Beautiful work by Bryant!

Quote Originally Posted by D'Aquisto Fan
    That looks amazing, Steve! Beautiful work by Bryant!
    Thanks Michael -it gets very exciting at this point of the build.

The latest from Bryant. The finish is applied and hanging along side three of my good friends Jazz Electrics.

A few more pics

User Info Menu

It's great to watch perfection in the making. I really like the selections made for all of the details.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogfaceboy
    It's great to watch perfection in the making. I really like the selections made for all of the details.
    Thanks for the kind words. Bryant took a few ideas I had and ran with it. I just let him do his thing - then sat back and watched. It’s been a fun and exciting build. It will really come to life when he applies the clear coats and buffs it out. He also has some ideas for the tail pc and pickguard that will surely fit in with the theme.

User Info Menu

Me thinks that you're going to like this one...

User Info Menu

A few more pics

Real nice sunburst shade, Steve. Gorgeous.

Quote Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7
    Me thinks that you're going to like this one...
    Thank Bob - me too. I have a feeling it’s going to be extraordinary - and I’ve played enough sound port instruments at John Monteleone’s shop to realize the benefit to the player

Quote Originally Posted by sbeishline
    Real nice sunburst shade, Steve. Gorgeous.
    Sbieshline,
    Thank you. Bryant finish work is fantastic - and very reminiscent of Jim D’Aquisto’s shading.

User Info Menu

Just wow!!! It’s exciting to see that oval holed arch top receive a glorious sunburst finish! Double thumbs up!

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Just wow!!! It’s exciting to see that oval holed arch top receive a glorious sunburst finish! Double thumbs up!
    Thanks 2b. Nice to see some people on this forum still appreciate carved acoustic Archtop guitar builds. I’m thinking this particular build would have likely found more interest on the Acoustic Guitar Forum.

I’ve realized ( over time) that this forum consists of players gravitating more towards the electric plug in experience - with less interest in un-amplified straight acoustic instruments.

User Info Menu

Thanks 2b. Nice to see some people on this forum still appreciate carved acoustic Archtop guitar builds. I’m thinking this particular build would have likely found more interest on the Acoustic Guitar Forum.

I’ve realized ( over time) that this forum consists of players gravitating more towards the electric plug in experience - with less interest in un-amplified straight acoustic instruments.
    I think any gravitating towards plugged-in experience is simply because that's what's on most records. The albums we know and love are generally amplified. In fact I think since COVID there's been a shift back towards unplugged experience - I certainly launched more into solo guitar out of necessity.

This build is looking great!

Quote Originally Posted by coolvinny
    I think any gravitating towards plugged-in experience is simply because that's what's on most records. The albums we know and love are generally amplified. In fact I think since COVID there's been a shift back towards unplugged experience - I certainly launched more into solo guitar out of necessity.

This build is looking great!
    Coolvinny,
    You bring up some great points. For me, being raised in the NY area , and hanging around luthiers building mainly traditional acoustic archtops, Ive come to love the instrument for its true acoustic capabilities.

Back in the early ninties, I wouldnt even look at an archtop with a built in pick up. Today, I do appreciate some electric archtops, but not many. Once you electrify a guitar, you can alter the sound in many different ways. In fact, ive heard Fender teles , with modeling effects ,emulate a jazz archtop sound.

Right now, there is an acoustic guitar renaissance emerging throughout the world. Due to COVID , people are sheltered in place and buying guitars like crazy. Martin, Gibson Taylor, and even Fender have reported record sales this year, and cannot keep up with the demand

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

As a practical matter, 95+ % of my gigging life was plugged in with pickups, and much of the rest was acoustic guitars amplified via mics or some kind of pickup (The exception was my bell brass-bodied Dobro. When they went to mic for a show I was doing at a small theater, I told them 'You're not going to need that."). It is only in the intimacy of the practice room or the private salon that the true sound of the acoustic archtop can be deeply appreciated, in my experience. Commercial exigencies prevail. A guy's gotta eat, and new strings aren't free...

Nevertheless, playing my archtops (not high-end but nonetheless treasured) acoustically remains a profound pleasure.