Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

Hi, was wondering what people recommend to stabilize the pickgaurd. Mine needs something under between the pickgaurd and the top it to keep it from flexing. I want to use something safe for finishes. Thanks for the help!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I use some hard, firm foam cut from packaging inserts holding earbuds or something similar. I have some black and some white, and I don't notice any other difference, other than the obvious fact that black is harder to see.

User Info Menu

Felt blocks work

User Info Menu

They do. They're just harder to work with and acquire, at least for me. I tend to take the easiest route for this sort of thing, and use what I have at hand or can easily find. Some might call it laziness, I prefer to think of it as innovation.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Felt blocks work
    You might try an assortment of corks to find a snug fit.

User Info Menu

Folded paper towel. Good playing . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

op doesn't mention specific guitar he's talking about...solid spruce or lam top...but i always dislike putting damping materials on arch tops...i usually remove the pickguard altogether..(lets the bottom f hole serve its purpose better as well! hah)

but could try adding washers to current pickguard screws...or sometimes just repositioning/adjusting bracket helps

if not..stuff an old kiss t shirt under there!!! haha

cheers

User Info Menu

I don't find that a small (1/2" or less) square of foam or whatever dampens the sound at all. But my usual fix is to just remove the pickguard. They don't serve much of a purpose for me, because the strings are pretty far above the top and it takes a rather severe stroke to touch it. Some people use the pickguard for an anchor point for their right hands, but I don't, so I'm fine without it.

User Info Menu

I've used these and they work.......they can be stacked and trimmed.......no surface marks at all....yes check the attachment brackets too..(no affiliation w/seller etc )....

https://www.acehardware.com/departme...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

......Hope this helps !

User Info Menu

I use adhesive backed felt pads used for the bottom of chair or table legs to mitigate against scratching floors. They come in sheets or round pads of various diameters and are easily thinned down /cut into shapes or stacked. Stick them to the underside of your pickguard and off you go!!! OOps ) see above post and link))

Will

User Info Menu

"I don't find that a small (1/2" or less) square of foam or whatever dampens the sound at all. " sgosnell

Yes.

User Info Menu

A problem i had with that is it transfers noise from the pickguard to the top of the guitar. I hit the pickguard with fingers etc when playing, and it was a bad idea to install that semi hard foam on an acoustically rich archtop, although it doesn't translate through the amp. Think i 'll take it out.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    if not..stuff an old kiss t shirt under there!!!
    Is the kiss me shirt retired because it worked or because you gave up?!

User Info Menu

Flexing?. If the pickguard is too flexible, it might be too thin or even broken. You can glue something to the backside to add stiffness, like a piece of aluminium plate or replace it with a more stiff pickguard. Towels, T-shirts or foam might not remove spongyness.

I don’t know if you are all familiar with Doug’s plugs but my solution that I just came up with is to take the small quarter of a Doug’s plug that stays in the f-hole under the pickgaurd. I used bluetak, which is what teachers use to hang up posters and stuck to the bottom of the pickgaurd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    I don't find that a small (1/2" or less) square of foam or whatever dampens the sound at all. But my usual fix is to just remove the pickguard. They don't serve much of a purpose for me, because the strings are pretty far above the top and it takes a rather severe stroke to touch it. Some people use the pickguard for an anchor point for their right hands, but I don't, so I'm fine without it.
    My Gibson Legrand had a small felt pad supporting the bottom end of the finger rest. I removed it as I felt it dampened the movement of the top enough to affect the sound.