The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 73

User Info Menu

Here is a shot of the Carpathian Spruce top now with both the rims and f-holes bound and purfled in Birdseye Sugar Maple.

The beautiful fiddleback Sycamore Maple back is showing its figure.

Looking at this side view of the body, you can see the 3” to 3-1/2” tapered rims.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Peghead Design....

User Info Menu

Looking great!! Thanks for sharing these. I have never commissioned a guitar before and I enjoy seeing how this is all coming together.

User Info Menu

Wowza that’s gonna be gorgeous.

User Info Menu

John has completed the MOP and Green Abalone inlays for both the Ebony headstock veneer as well as the fretboard split block inlays. The veneer is just placed into the headstock pocket so some of the miters will be cleaned up. The peghead binding is Birdseye Sugar Maple.

A hint at the flame can be seen in the roughed 3-piece Sugar Maple neck and you can see how the choice of shell used in the peghead and fretboard match beautifully.

User Info Menu

Choosing a Black Walnut veneer for the rear peghead veneer...

Last edited by iim7V7IM7; 05-14-2020 at 07:32 PM.

User Info Menu

John has attached the neck and nearly has the instrument done in white. The MOP/Green Abalone split blocks & peghead inlays and the Birdseye Sugar Maple bindings create a classic, yet elegant aesthetic.

Some details of the fleur de lis sound port and the Birdseye Sugar Maple bound peghead veneer.

User Info Menu

Drop. Dead. Gorgeous.

User Info Menu

Stunningly Beautiful Archtop!

User Info Menu

Great design... the Maple binding will be striking!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lukmanohnz
    Drop. Dead. Gorgeous.
    Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    Stunningly Beautiful Archtop!
    Quote Originally Posted by AlohaJoe
    Great design... the Maple binding will be striking!
    Thanks very much. I am happy to share John's work as it progresses.

The finish that we chose should bring out the bindings beautifully...stay tuned. I am uncertain why the moderators chose to move my post chronicling John's build to this sub forum but have decided to leave Mark Campellone build threads in the main gear forum.

User Info Menu

Bob, Looking great. What does that almond sunburst finish look like? As far as the location of your post, the moderators probably responded to some disgruntled member as there are a number of posts in the Guitar/Amp section that don't belong but stay, otherwise who knows.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rob taft
    Bob, Looking great. What does that almond sunburst finish look like? As far as the location of your post, the moderators probably responded to some disgruntled member as there are a number of posts in the Guitar/Amp section that don't belong but stay, otherwise who knows.
    Rob, thanks.... What John calls an “almond sunburst” is a pale golden hue in the center darkening towards a lighter ochre/brown hue towards the rims. It should go into finish soon and I will be able to show you.

Like others, I started this post in Guitars, Amps & Gizmos. This forum is relatively new and not as widely viewed. I was surprised when the moderators moved my post here without explanation. I wrote to ask and never received a response.

I can understand why they did if they create a new forum and are categorically curating posts. That said, it seems that their curation is inconsistent and heterogeneous. There are numerous build threads that continue to be posted in G,A & G from other custom luthiers. If they move them all, I could understand. But this is not the case. In the interim, this forum receives 50x less views. I am glad that YOU stopped by to look.

User Info Menu

Bob, Thanks. I look forward to the finish pictures. By the way, I check out your posts on this website and the Acoustic Guitar forum. You always provide great photos of builds or shows and you buy some interesting guitars.

User Info Menu

It is always difficult to catch the color of a sunburst. John was kind enough to shoot a couple shots outdoors after the guitar was sealed, the sunburst and a few coats of nitro were applied.

John told me it is actually a touch lighter and has gold/bronze hue to it.

It of course brings out a bit of the figure in the Sycamore Maple back and the Birdseye Sugar Maple.

User Info Menu

Bob - its gorgeous !

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

This illustrates how difficult it is to capture the tones of a sunburst. These are some earlier shots from John’s spray booth. The lighting is different from the prior shots and no nitro had been applied yet.

User Info Menu

While the nitrocellulose lacquer outgasses and hardens before it is ready to buff, John made a Chuck Wayne style finger rest for my archtop. The finger rest is made from Gaboon Ebony bound in Birdseye Sugar Maple to match the body, fingerboard and headstock. John will install volume and tone pots on the underside and mount a floating custom Buscarino humbucker made for him by Kent Armstrong when it’s completed.

User Info Menu

What a stunner. Thanks again for sharing. These build posts are so interesting, and really helpful in many ways. This post for EG: Commissioned a Custom Non-Traditional Gypsy Guitar gave me the confidence to jump on a used Lehmann archtop that I still very much enjoy every day.

If you guys like sound ports, check out the Hunter Rose on that baby.

And your post #16 has so much truth in it. At that point in the build what difference can it make if the router is guided by meat or by silicon? Save your hands for the stuff that really matters. Think of the beast that Gibson used for all those classics we love. Looks a lot more violent than the smooth moves of the CNC.

User Info Menu

Iim7,
    That is an absolutely beautiful guitar. The coloration is the nicest I’ve ever seen.
    You have great taste. Outstanding.
    Joe D

Quote Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7
    It is always difficult to catch the color of a sunburst. John was kind enough to shoot a couple shots outdoors after the guitar was sealed, the sunburst and a few coats of nitro were applied.

John told me it is actually a touch lighter and has gold/bronze hue to it.

It of course brings out a bit of the figure in the Sycamore Maple back and the Birdseye Sugar Maple.

User Info Menu

That's going to be spectacular ! Wish I had the $$$ to order a custom Buscarino.
    Congratulations !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ccroft
    What a stunner. Thanks again for sharing. These build posts are so interesting, and really helpful in many ways. This post for EG: Commissioned a Custom Non-Traditional Gypsy Guitar gave me the confidence to jump on a used Lehmann archtop that I still very much enjoy every day.

If you guys like sound ports, check out the Hunter Rose on that baby.

And your post #16 has so much truth in it. At that point in the build what difference can it make if the router is guided by meat or by silicon? Save your hands for the stuff that really matters. Think of the beast that Gibson used for all those classics we love. Looks a lot more violent than the smooth moves of the CNC.
    John is going to be 70 years old and has been at the bench since 1979 when he first apprenticed with Augie LoPrinzi (before apprenticing with Bob Benedetto). He has earned some relief from the brutal task of roughing out plates. Lutherie in general and in particular carving top and back plates is heavy physical work when done with hand tools. A CNC is the natural evolution from a duplicator which is the first step in automating roughing the plates. In fact, John helped design Bob’s first duplicator in the early 1980s. The real skill is in targeting the nominal profile and tuning them with scrapers before and after assembly to release the recurve.

i hope that you enjoy your Lehmann as much as I enjoy mine!
    Last edited by iim7V7IM7; 06-27-2020 at 07:23 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    Iim7,
    That is an absolutely beautiful guitar. The coloration is the nicest I’ve ever seen.
    You have great taste. Outstanding.
    Joe D
    Thanks Joe. I hope that you can audition it some day...

User Info Menu

Now you can see just how spectacular this set of Sycamore Maple is (the Hard Maple neck ain’t too shabby either ).

JOHN BUSCARINO: 16” Tapered Rim Monarch Archtop (Build Thread)-dcc21294-5cd1-4ca0-b501-b7edcc505f15-jpg
    Last edited by iim7V7IM7; 07-28-2020 at 09:12 PM.

User Info Menu

Wow. John keeps getting better. Very, very custom look. More wood, less plastic and metal. Timeless.