User Info Menu

I bought a bare-bones basic Tele from a builder. After several years, I’ve decided the finish - a blond/white- is maybe a little too basic.

It’s likely possible to refinish but would it be cost effective? I’m not looking for anything fancy. Butterscotch? Mary-Kaye trans white?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bach5G
    I bought a bare-bones basic Tele from a builder. After several years, I’ve decided the finish - a blond/white- is maybe a little too basic.

It’s likely possible to refinish but would it be cost effective? I’m not looking for anything fancy. Butterscotch? Mary-Kaye trans white?
    Trying to refinish a factory finish is tough unless you just want to paint over it. Having it professionally done could get really pricey. I would suggest checking out the finished bodies for sale at Warmoth or Ebay. I usually build my own bodies and finish with shellac but I'm not looking for perfection. I recently bought a butterscotch All Parts body from StratOsphere for $225 and its pretty nice. When you buy a finished body, you're probably paying more for the finish than for the wood and shaping.

Thanks. I figured as much.

User Info Menu

Sorry for making a contribution here that's a few weeks late, but I'd say if you are familiar with woodworking/refinishing then repainting a tele is one of the easiest such projects guitar-wise. There are many resources for info, Guitar Reranch is IMO the best source for nitro lacquer in convenient spray cans, in a wide variety of Fender colors. I think they have a link to a forum for "how to". I believe you could do that for well under $100 for all necessary materials, and probably have some supplies left over for the inevitable next tele or strat.

Fender Custom Colors

User Info Menu

Additionally to Bach5G; good chance your blond/white tele is a polyurethane finish, thick and glossy. The hardest messiest part of refinishing a poly body would be getting off the old finish down to bare wood, and you might find in any solid color tele or strat type guitar that removing the finish reveals a less than desirable or not particularly attractive wood grain if you are wanting to end up with a translucent blonde or Mary Kay finish.