User Info Menu

I bought a bare-bones basic Tele from a builder. After several years, I’ve decided the finish - a blond/white- is maybe a little too basic.

It’s likely possible to refinish but would it be cost effective? I’m not looking for anything fancy. Butterscotch? Mary-Kaye trans white?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bach5G
    I bought a bare-bones basic Tele from a builder. After several years, I’ve decided the finish - a blond/white- is maybe a little too basic.

It’s likely possible to refinish but would it be cost effective? I’m not looking for anything fancy. Butterscotch? Mary-Kaye trans white?
    Trying to refinish a factory finish is tough unless you just want to paint over it. Having it professionally done could get really pricey. I would suggest checking out the finished bodies for sale at Warmoth or Ebay. I usually build my own bodies and finish with shellac but I'm not looking for perfection. I recently bought a butterscotch All Parts body from StratOsphere for $225 and its pretty nice. When you buy a finished body, you're probably paying more for the finish than for the wood and shaping.

Thanks. I figured as much.