The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

Hi,
    I'm hoping for some ideas. I have a 1967 Ibanez Johnny Smith with floating pickups and controls on the pickguard. It also has a 1/8 input jack on the pickguard.
    I would like to rewire the pickups to a 1/4 standard jack and also cut a smaller wood pickguard and get the jack off of the pickguard if possible.

I have had it a long time and really like the feel and sound of the guitar and I don't want to drill into the body.

Does anyone know of any input jack kits sold that would work for this new setup and any ideas how I could integrate the jack?

Thanks in advance for your help.

All the best,

Chaim

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Could you mount a 1/4" jack through the strap button in the tail piece? I realize some drilling will be involved. However, it would seem like a somewhat easily reversed modification and possibly a reasonable solution. I am not aware of any "kits", but the parts are easily obtained.

Please keep us updated with the progress.
    Attached Images Attached Images Question About Rewiring an Input Jack and controls-screen-shot-2019-11-23-9-10-44-am-png 

User Info Menu

If it were mine, I would consider using an endpin jack. That involves making a hole where the end strap pin is now. It's a rather common way to add a jack that isn't obvious, and it's strong because it goes through the end block. It's also possible to buy an inline jack, which goes on the end of a cable from the pickup, and which can be attached to the tailpiece with zip ties or similar. It's not as secure nor as aesthetically pleasing, but it requires no modifications to the guitar. It can also be attached to the underside of a pickguard with epoxy if you prefer that. I don't like it, but that's immaterial.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    If it were mine, I would consider using an endpin jack.
    That is what I meant...I just couldn't remember the proper term (i.e., endpin jack)...DOH

Thanks for the idea. That was the direction I was thinking. It might be the best option. I was hoping there might be some kit to attach a sealed jack with a 90 degree bend to the top of the tailpiece.

I've attached a pic so that you can see what it currently looks like.

Thanks again for taking the time to help me out with this.

Chaim

Quote Originally Posted by CTG
    Hi,
    I'm hoping for some ideas. I have a 1967 Ibanez Johnny Smith with floating pickups and controls on the pickguard. It also has a 1/8 input jack on the pickguard.
    I would like to rewire the pickups to a 1/4 standard jack and also cut a smaller wood pickguard and get the jack off of the pickguard if possible.

I have had it a long time and really like the feel and sound of the guitar and I don't want to drill into the body.

Does anyone know of any input jack kits sold that would work for this new setup and any ideas how I could integrate the jack?

Thanks in advance for your help.

All the best,

Chaim
    Attached Images Attached Images Question About Rewiring an Input Jack and controls-20190510_140616-jpg 

User Info Menu

You might be able to mount something like this enclosed jack on a small piece of PCB.
    It could then be encased in a nice enclosure (possibly wooden or brass) to look cosmetically more acceptable. Just a thought....and not a great one at that. Sorry In addition, unfortunately, the wiring will show.

I'm not sure I understand you correctly. Is this suggestion even remotely what you are hoping to accomplish?
    Question About Rewiring an Input Jack and controls-61ewwxdob5l-_sx425_-jpg

User Info Menu

Why not just use a cord with 1/8 on one end and 1/4 on the other?

You should be able to get one made up. Any average tech should be able to handle it.

User Info Menu

That's what he has, 1/8" jack on the pickguard, but he wants to use a standard cable. At least that's my understanding. Having two pickups makes things a little more difficult, but nothing that can't be overcome. Four knobs and a switch take up real estate wherever they are, and it looks like this setup has 5 pots, so even a little bigger. They could be replaced with Schatten thumbwheel pots under the pickguard, if one is willing to spend the money. I don't know of any off-the-shelf jacks with a 90 degree bend, but one could be made up. Attaching it to the tailpiece could be problematic, but not impossible. Personally, I would install an endpin jack, but it's not my guitar. There are endpin jacks that take 1/8" plugs, and use what looks like a standard strap pin. I can't recall the brand or source offhand, but I expect Google knows about them.

Quote Originally Posted by BBGuitar
    Why not just use a cord with 1/8 on one end and 1/4 on the other?

You should be able to get one made up. Any average tech should be able to handle it.
    Thanks for the good suggestion. It would normally work but ideally I would also like to minimize the controls attached to the pickguard. Maybe replace the knobs with thumbwheel controls and by taking the jack off I could replace the pickguard with a much narrower one that would open up the F hole and acoustics a bit more.

Nice! Sounds like it might work. I'm going to look into the Schatten thumbwheels. The jack is a bit trickier. I saw that Schatten has a jack that attaches to the tailpiece but it is big and I'm afraid it would effect the vibration of the top of the guitar.

User Info Menu

Question About Rewiring an Input Jack and controls-bouzoukimtd_77c40c7f-c6d6-490d-90d3-51b298a464c0_448x320-jpg

Ironic! Les Schatten's business is very close to where I live.

This is a nice design ...if he would consider selling a unit wired but without without the pickup.

It is like what I had in mind and was trying to explain, only much, much better.
    Les has been doing this type of thing forever...so I would expect this from him.

You have a beautiful looking guitar there! I can only imagine how wonderful it must be to play.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greco
    Question About Rewiring an Input Jack and controls-bouzoukimtd_77c40c7f-c6d6-490d-90d3-51b298a464c0_448x320-jpg

Ironic! Les Schatten's business is very close to where I live.

This is a nice design ...if he would consider selling a unit wired but without without the pickup.

It is like what I had in mind and was trying to explain, only much, much better.
    Les has been doing this type of thing forever...so I would expect this from him.

You have a beautiful looking guitar there! I can only imagine how wonderful it must be to play.
    Thanks so much. That looks like it might do the trick. I appreciate your taking the time to help me out.
    That was the the type of addon I was looking for.

I am very lucky . It is a sweet sounding guitar and has a really nice feel to it.

Thanks again.

Thanks. This would be the best option. I have to check and see if the endpin separates from the bridge. If it does then this is a great option.
    If it doesn't then I would try the Schatten jack that connects to the tailpiece.

Thanks so much!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greco
    Could you mount a 1/4" jack through the strap button in the tail piece? I realize some drilling will be involved. However, it would seem like a somewhat easily reversed modification and possibly a reasonable solution. I am not aware of any "kits", but the parts are easily obtained.

Please keep us updated with the progress.
    In my opinion, based on my experience with a guitar with an endpin jack, an endpin jack is a bad idea. I have a Heritage Sweet 16 with an endpin jack.

An endpin jack will make it very difficult to attach a strap to the guitar in anything like a secure manner. The diameter of the shaft of the endpin jack is quite a bit larger than the shaft of a typical strap button. When you attach a strap to such a jack, it won't be secure and will pop off easily. How would you like to see your Johnny Smith bouncing along the floor after it's fallen off your strap?

If you want a jack somewhere around the end of the guitar, a better idea than an endpin jack is to install a thick-panel jack somewhere else in the end block. This leaves a functional strap button in place. But the OP stated that they don't want to drill a visible hole in the guitar.

A couple alternatives:
    • You could make a clamp that would attach to the end of the F-hole to hold the output jack. Pat Metheny did something like this for something, not apparently an output jack, on one of his guitars.
    • You could use an in-line jack, attached to the tailpiece (already mentioned by someone). Upright bassists do something similar sometimes for the outputs of their pickups.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThatRhythmMan
    Very impressive. A lot of thinking went into the design and manufacture of that product.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThatRhythmMan
    LOXX provide a similar solution. I have LOXX straplocks on all my string instruments (Martins, Gibsons, Bass, Mandolin....) and have never had any problems

Loxx Acoustic Strap Lock End Pin Adapter (for Fishman end pin jacks), Nickel, 45120.05000

I just wanted to thank you all for your input and ideas. After going over the options and thinking about it a bit more I decided to stay true to the design of the guitar and leave it the way it is.

Again Thanks,

Chaim