Likes Likes:  0

User Info Menu

This guitar is on the way to me. There is what looks like slight binding separation. It is on the bass side of the lower bout where the right arm would rest, which may be a clue to the problem.

Does this look like a difficult repair? Thanks.

binding repair help please-2019-10-21-15_13_15-thornton-legend-2013-tobacco-burst-_-vintage-gear-_-reverb-jpgbinding repair help please-2019-10-21-15_12_55-thornton-legend-2013-tobacco-burst-_-vintage-gear-_-reverb-jpgbinding repair help please-2019-10-21-15_12_35-thornton-legend-2013-tobacco-burst-_-vintage-gear-_-reverb-jpg
    MG

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I cannot tell anything from the photo but getting binding back in place is about the worst repair because normally you almost have to replace it all. The problem is that gluing it back it will react with the finish and you have to really be careful. Then of course the glue actually softens the binding and it will not look uniform to the rest when it dries. My Elferink has a bit of this in a small spot on the back. I don't see cosmetically as a big deal at all but unless you replace all the binding at once it just will not ever look original. If someone knows how to do it well I would be first in line to learn.

When rebinding old D'angelicos and even other guitars it is basically delicate surgery and takes huge amounts of time. To do it correct you have to mask everything off and go slow, slow, slow. Most repairmen will not attempt it just do to the time constraints. I know when Hollenbeck had to rebind the body of a guitar he want to also do a refinish as then it is easy. Frankly they option is cheaper due to actually taking less time. Wood binding would be different because then you can use titebond glue and simply wipe off the excess it does not eat the finish you just wipe off the squeeze out.

More than you wanted to know right?
    specializing in repair and setup, does your guitar play like it should?

User Info Menu

that looks like corrosion from the blending of the chemicals in the binding with the finish with sweat....based on the pics it doesnt look too serious...probably could be buffed out and polished

luck

cheers

User Info Menu

I blew it up as much as I could, and still can't tell if it's just a finish issue or what. I suggest not panicking until you actually have the guitar in hand and can see it up close. Photographs can have all sorts of artifacts and reflections, and sometimes seem to show things that don't actually exist, or to mask things that do exist.

User Info Menu

I think that might be a finish adhesion problem: the finish has lifted from the binding, showing white-ish spots. Is that a Gibson? Last week, a customer brought me his '98 Tal Farlow, with that particular issue(it looks the same).