User Info Menu

I decided to post 2 photos of my refretting a guitar in progress. I guess just to show the frets are before the final dressing and cleaning up the ends. This particular guitar I was lucky frets came of the rosewood board with no chips at all. They were seated great and I thought it might chip a bit but nothing. Then I used Jescar medium highest I like these they leave plenty of fret to work with down the road. I prefer to pound frets in generally as I feel like I have better control how the fret seats in the slot. Tricky at times to get them to avoid popping up on the ends. They best way to avoid the problem is over radius the fret wire and start on the edge hammering down. Then as you progress to the middle it helps sets the barbs as the fret pushes out. I set my guitar on this jig and can put support underneath the neck all the way up with a 4 X 4 post. It allows for a nice solid hammer of the fret to seat.

Finally my favorite fretting tool is the Jescar fret tang nipper this is far superior to the stew-mac version and this one is 10 times easier. It is more expensive but worth every penny I spend on the tool. I can knock out the tang in seconds with no cleanup needed with a file.

So now this fret job I still need to bevel the ends to a smooth profile and then hopefully very little dressing will be needed.
    Attached Images Attached Images photos of refret in progress-img_13363993-jpg photos of refret in progress-img_13353992-jpg 
    specializing in repair and setup, does your guitar play like it should?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Nice lookin work Deacon! Those look like king size frets. Will you have to make a new nut to get her playing again?

I am going to upload the remaining photos I took. Interesting point is the frets really are not any wider than what was on there at least by feel. They certainly are taller and yes I did have to make a new nut that is usually the case but not always. I ended recycling an older nut from some other project that worked well. I might add for those interested about the truss rod.

I removed the frets and took a reading of the neck straightness and it was almost dead straight when I pull the frets out. So I put the new frets in with no adjusting the truss rod. Then I thought that possible this could enter a bit of backbow in the neck but of course unsure. So after getting the frets in the neck and frets we dead flat even. So of course no adjusting the truss rod have to see what happens when I string it up.

These next set of photos I did was to use some 120 grit sandpaper on a 12 raduis block and marked the top of the frets with black marker. I then sanded this all off so the frets were level and took very little metal at all.....just as smidge. Then using my fret crowning files I only make a light pass over the top but go down the edge harder to take any edge off the ends of the fret. Then next thing is to use my fret dressing file that allows to take the edge of fret off at the end it is smooth on 2 sides so does not dig into the fingerboard. This is to make the edge smooth as the hands move up and down the neck on the edges of frets.

My next procedure which may be different than many, I was taught by Bill Barker and Hollenbeck did the same thing. I take 150 emery cloth and run in up and down the frets at 90 degree angle, taking special attention to getting the base of the palm of hand to dig in and take out any burrs along the edge of frets especially at the ends. This also rounds the frets nicely at the top. I go in both directions with one smooth stroke not stopping until end of board.

The next involve scotch pads starting with rough and then going to fine and finally the finest grade. Again I move the palm of my hand at 90 degree angle. This keeps the frets smooth and if there are any rough edges the pad will catch and pull the material up. This allows me to pinpoint any tiny bit of gaps and roughness, while at the same time smoothing the tops of the frets. The final step is to simply sand with 2000 sandpaper and a bit of naphtha to clean the board.

So I set the guitar up and the new nut strung it up and guess what. The next shows a very slight bit of relief and spot on and I have not touched the truss rod at all though the whole process. The guitar is done and the action on the bass side at the moment 12th fret is just a bit less than 5/64 and on the treble just a bit less than 4/64. Right where I want to be it plays nice and using a new nut with the new frets allowed for slight increasing the string spread which is a good. This neck it maybe a little narrow a hair under 1 11/16. So far I like how it came out and at this point will let the guitar sit for 24 hours and see if any movement. I seriously doubt that is will mover at all but it could. I know is probably boring to many but to me it shows how different things can be given the guitar. In this case the truss rod was never touched and that is unusual but not unheard of at least by me.

This is taxing my computer skills imagine if it was the guitar.
    photos of refret in progress-img_1337-jpgphotos of refret in progress-img_1339-jpgphotos of refret in progress-img_1341-jpgphotos of refret in progress-img_1342-jpgphotos of refret in progress-img_1344-jpgphotos of refret in progress-img_1345-jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images photos of refret in progress-img_1338-jpg photos of refret in progress-img_1343-jpg 

complicated they probably will ban me from this place.
    photos of refret in progress-img_1346-jpg