The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 25 of 25

User Info Menu

Hello everyone!

First of all, I don't know if I'm writing this post in the right place, I think so.

I'll introduce myself, my name is Iker and I live in a town near Bilbao (Spain); A few years ago I began to train as a luthier in BELE (Basque school of Violin making), there he built for four years classical instruments of rubbed string (violin, viola and cello) in addition to learning many knowledge of acoustics, restoration ... most of knowledge that he learned from the branch of stringed string instruments that he transported to the construction of guitars, my true passion.

During my studies in BELE we got a six-month scholarship as an apprentice in a European lutheria workshop, specifically the Mirko Borghino workshop (Borghino guitars) in Italy. Mirko is a luthier who builds mostly archtop guitars, but also acoustic guitars and even has an archtop model with nylon strings. I learned a lot from him and during that time, a part of helping in the construction of his guitars, building an archtop guitar myself based on a Benedetto 17 "model.

Here are the specifications of the guitar and some photo of the construction process and the finished guitar:

-Tapa: Italian fir
    -Back, hoops and neck: Flamed maple
    -Diapasón: Ebony-Bridge: Ebony
    -Inlays: Thuja root and brass
    -Barniz: To the oil

The construction of the complete guitar has been entirely at hand following the indications and advice of Mirko. The varnishing I did once I returned from Italy, for this I chose a method of varnishing that I learned from the violin luthier Mikele Dobner consisting of oil varnish mixed with natural pigments and ground minerals.

I hope you find it interesting!

If you want to continue my work we can do it through social networks:

Facebook: Facebook
    Instagram: Iker Rodriguez (@iker.r_luthier)Instagram
    Attached Images Attached Images 17" Acoustic Archtop Benedetto-ada_4285-jpg 17" Acoustic Archtop Benedetto-ada_4311a-jpg 17" Acoustic Archtop Benedetto-ada_4305a-jpg 17" Acoustic Archtop Benedetto-img_20190302_090030-jpg 17" Acoustic Archtop Benedetto-img_20190301_113822-jpg 17" Acoustic Archtop Benedetto-img_20190309_100432-jpg 17" Acoustic Archtop Benedetto-65549089_395036081139235_1143654176362856448_n-jpg 

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

That's a very nice-looking guitar. You should be proud of it.

User Info Menu

Would love to hear you play it!

User Info Menu

Very nice looking, but f-holes are pretty small. How does she sound?

User Info Menu

That is a really beautiful archtop guitar, Iker. If it is your first archtop, all I can say is Wow!! Very impressive; it looks as if you had already made 100.Good luck with your career in luthiery.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    That's a very nice-looking guitar. You should be proud of it.
    many thanks! I'm glad you like my job!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    Would love to hear you play it!
    I plan to record a video and that you can appreciate its acoustic sound and the sound of the pickup (kent amstrong)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzstdnt
    Very nice looking, but f-holes are pretty small. How does she sound?
    Thank you very much! I made the holes of the F based on which I built my last Montagnana model cello; partly because I don't like the "typical" holes of archtop guitars, and also because I think acoustically these could work better!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    That is a really beautiful archtop guitar, Iker. If it is your first archtop, all I can say is Wow!! Very impressive; it looks as if you had already made 100.Good luck with your career in luthiery.
    Thank you very much really! It is very gratifying to see that people like my work after so much effort!

User Info Menu

Well done, that's a great start. I like the f-holes, and they should sound fine.

User Info Menu

Absolutely lovely. The F-holes are great, remind me a bit of some things that Dan Koentopp has done.

User Info Menu

Iker,
    A fine looking guitar with tasteful appointments. It’s obvious that some passion and thought went into this build.
    There are many Archtop enthusiasts on this forum and should you pursue a career in building Archtops please keep us informed.
    I collect Archtops and always look to explore new offerings from builders who continue in the tradition of hand carving and voicing these guitars.
    Good luck with your ventures and thanks for sharing your work.

User Info Menu

Beautiful work, Iker! Is the bass edge binding recessed at the 12th fret, or is it just a quirk in the photo that I'm seeing?

I'd love to hear more about your oil varnishing process, if you're willing.

User Info Menu

Wow, Iker. Great looking guitar! Success! Excited to hear it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Well done, that's a great start. I like the f-holes, and they should sound fine.
    thank you very much!!!!!!!

User Info Menu

Thank you! Dan Koentoop is a person I admire and I love his work!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by QAman
    Iker, A fine looking guitar with tasteful appointments. It’s obvious that some passion and thought went into this build. There are many Archtop enthusiasts on this forum and should you pursue a career in building Archtops please keep us informed. I collect Archtops and always look to explore new offerings from builders who continue in the tradition of hand carving and voicing these guitars. Good luck with your ventures and thanks for sharing your work.
    First of all I would like to thank you for your words! I am passionate about building archtop guitars and my intention is to design my own models following my construction style and my acoustic ideas. The time I have spent with Mirko Borghino has earned me to find my way in the construction of guitars, recently I have also completed a masterclass with the master Kent Parker who has also opened my eyes in many aspects in the construction of archtop.I have this guitar for sale, so if someone were interested they could contact me! Here I leave my email:iker.rlutheria@gmail.com

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu
    Beautiful work, Iker! Is the bass edge binding recessed at the 12th fret, or is it just a quirk in the photo that I'm seeing? I'd love to hear more about your oil varnishing process, if you're willing.
    I'm glad you like my work!Here I leave a photo of the detail that has the incrustation on the 12th fret, I have not been able to understand very well what you mean about the binding ... I hope that in this photo you can appreciate it well!On the oil varnish: This is the type of centenary varnish used in varnishing violins, violas, cellos ... like the one used by Stradivarius in the past. To give a beautiful color in the background I have used a mixture of this type of varnish together with a mixture of natural pigments until I have found a tone of my liking; To this mixture I have also added ground crystals to help transparency and light reflection on the varnish. I have applied the varnish without the help of any type of brush, only using my hands. I hope you have served my explanation!
    Attached Images Attached Images 17" Acoustic Archtop Benedetto-ada_4330a-jpg 

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sbeishline
    Wow, Iker. Great looking guitar! Success! Excited to hear it.
    thank you! I hope to upload a video with the audio as soon as possible!

User Info Menu

Hi all! The archtop guitar I recently built is for sale on the ALNICO FIVE website. Here you have the link. If there is anyone interested, I will kindly answer any question.
    Thanks!

IKER

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

It looks very nice keep at it and I too am interested in the finishing process. Wonder how it compares to nirto.

User Info Menu

Hi! It is difficult to specifically define the differences that would be in the guitar if the finish were nitro ... I have applied this type of mineral finish to the oil because I had previously applied it to various violins and cellos with very satisfactory results. It is a natural varnish that has a very warm tone and which acoustically I think can be very beneficial compared to other types of varnishes ... unfortunately, it is also more delicate obviously. Thank you very much for your interest!

User Info Menu

iker- love that violin finish..did you pad it with oil like a classic french polish?

went to Mikele Dobner oldwood site...lots of beautiful products...thanks for heads up

cheers

ps- when you say powdered crystal..did you mean quartz crystal? fantastic!

User Info Menu

[CITA = neatomic; 1051068] iker- me encanta ese acabado de violín ... ¿lo rellenaste con aceite como un clásico polaco francés?

fue a Mikele Dobner Bosque Viejo sitio ... un montón de bellos productos ... gracias por las cabezas para arriba

aplausos

PS- cuando se dice que crystal..did polvo de cristal de cuarzo media? ¡fantástico! [/ CITA]

Yes, first I used natural pigments with oil varnish and quartz crystal powder. Then I applied the varnish to the oil and to finish a layer of shellac. I'm glad you like it!