Likes Likes:  0

User Info Menu

Toying with the idea of picking up a second hand LH-300 (or 309?) and converting it to a CC ES-150 clone. I'm learning about working on guitars - I have a couple solid body builds and fret jobs under my belt so far. Ultimately I would like to get into building arch tops, so this seems like a good project to get some experience with working on arch tops without going through the full build process... Anyone know what kind of glue the back would be attached with? Possible to open it up without completely wrecking it?

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

My plan would be:
    - take the back off
    - check brace spacing to make sure that a true CC pickup will fit without compromising the braces
    - move braces if necessary
    - cut a hole in the top for CC pickup
    - strip the poly finish
    - check neck angle
    - if necessary re-set neck with proper angle
    - replace back
    - refinish with nitro
    - install ES-150 pickguard
    - Level/polish frets

I do understand that it would be a fair bit of work, but like I said - I'm interested in doing it as much as a learning experience as getting a guitar out of it... and when it comes down to it - an LH-300 is not a high value guitar - not that I am interested in throwing money away - just lower risk.

Would love some insight and advice from experienced tech's/luthiers.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

It would be a ton of work but it’s not impossible. Some things to think about that may not have occurred to you are the overstand height (the distance from the fingerboard to the top at the neck joint) on the two guitars is quite different. The ES-150 has the fingerboard laying directly on the top whereas the LH-300 has an overstand of 5/16”-ish. That means that the CC pickup will have to be sticking up out of the top quite a bit more than on a 150. That can be worked around by choosing the right version of the CC. I can tell you that the flatwork of the traditional mount Vintage Vibe version will not allow it to be raised up high enough. The Lollar would probably work but I’d have to look at it again. Also, the bracing would most certainly have to be redone. The 150 is actually x-braced and the Loar is parallel. Refitting the braces with sides and neck on would be annoying but doable. Not trying to discourage you but just giving some information that might prove useful to you. I would assume the glue Loar uses is just a PVA or AR type woodworking glue.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonc View Post
    It would be a ton of work but it’s not impossible. Some things to think about that may not have occurred to you are the overstand height (the distance from the fingerboard to the top at the neck joint) on the two guitars is quite different. The ES-150 has the fingerboard laying directly on the top whereas the LH-300 has an overstand of 5/16”-ish. That means that the CC pickup will have to be sticking up out of the top quite a bit more than on a 150. That can be worked around by choosing the right version of the CC. I can tell you that the flatwork of the traditional mount Vintage Vibe version will not allow it to be raised up high enough. The Lollar would probably work but I’d have to look at it again. Also, the bracing would most certainly have to be redone. The 150 is actually x-braced and the Loar is parallel. Refitting the braces with sides and neck on would be annoying but doable. Not trying to discourage you but just giving some information that might prove useful to you. I would assume the glue Loar uses is just a PVA or AR type woodworking glue.
    Thank you - these are exactly the kinds of pieces of insight I'm after. Arm yourself with knowledge, then proceed accordingly.

Right now, this is all preliminary... but still a project I would love to undertake... yes, I realize a lot of work... but I'm a guy who loves coming up with solutions and creating...

I guess I knew that the Loars are Parallel Braced (I own an LH-700 and love it) but forgot about that... So, re-bracing would be a for sure.