User Info Menu

Jim Soloway recently gave his blessing for me to build a reasonable duplicate of his great Loon model. I'll be doing it with a bolt on 24.75" scale and the 1-7/8" fingerstyle nut width. Plans call for a mahogany body with Western Red Cedar top which Jim used on his later models. Pickup will be the standard DiMarzio 36th Anniversary HB that Jim used or a Vintage Vibe Charlie Christian with HB footprint from Pete Biltoft. So far, I'm having a problem finding any cedar that will yield a 1/4" thick top - lotsa acoustic tops out there but no luck with a 'drop' top in cedar, so I'm looking for suggestions for sources. LMI and Stew Mac doesn't have it and I'm waiting for a call back from Gilmer. I'd rather just order a top and not have to resaw from an archtop billet which would be a waste and they're pretty pricey.

Suggestions?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Find some old bleacher seats and see if you can get one to work. I remember Bill Barker found a perfectly straight grain cedar top that he got from an old school that was getting rid of the bleachers. He made it into a really nice guitar and he joking called it the bleacher seat guitar. Close cousin to spruce and the guitar sounded very nice a bit less of the highs and rounder in tone. Barker joking said the wood had been seasoned from all those "farts" from those sitting on the bleachers.
    specializing in repair and setup, does your guitar play like it should?

User Info Menu

I don't know where you're located, but I've seen some lovely pieces of straight & vertical grain WRC surfaced on all 4 sides that come out around 11/16" thick at a couple of lumber yards in Minneapolis. One was Youngblood Lumber, but unfortunately they closed. Siweck Lumber also had some. I'm pretty sure they buy this stuff from a wholesale distributor, but I don't know where. It's not thick enough for the archtops I normally make, but I wanted to use it so bad I made a little parlor-size archtop that didn't need a very high arch. Anyway, the product is out there on the market, so check around. If you're good at resawing, you ought to able to get two 1/4" book-matched pieces out of it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by coldfingers View Post
    I don't know where you're located, but I've seen some lovely pieces of straight & vertical grain WRC surfaced on all 4 sides that come out around 11/16" thick at a couple of lumber yards in Minneapolis. One was Youngblood Lumber, but unfortunately they closed. Siweck Lumber also had some. I'm pretty sure they buy this stuff from a wholesale distributor, but I don't know where. It's not thick enough for the archtops I normally make, but I wanted to use it so bad I made a little parlor-size archtop that didn't need a very high arch. Anyway, the product is out there on the market, so check around. If you're good at resawing, you ought to able to get two 1/4" book-matched pieces out of it.
    I'm on the west coast of Florida. There is a decent lumberyard in Tampa that stocks cedar but finding quarter sawn might be a challenge. I'll go check it out after the hurricane is over.

User Info Menu

What length and width needed, this aside from 1/4 thickness ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bohemian46 View Post
    What length and width needed, this aside from 1/4 thickness ?
    Probably about 16" wide and 20" long. The top is 15" wide.

User Info Menu

Instrument Part List A&M Specialty Wood

This is reasonably close to me and has always been my go to for instrument wood. Your dollar will go a bit further here.