User Info Menu

Hello. The plastic pickup ring around the humbucker on my 165 Herb Ellis buzzes like crazy. It is snugged down by all four corner screws, but the sides still buzz against the top. Any ideas?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

It's probably not the ring that's buzzing, it's the pickup itself. It's common. You can try raising the pickup, which compresses the springs and sometimes stops the vibration. But it's far from a sure bet. The usual fix is to wedge something between the pickup and the ring. People use picks, woodwind reeds, foam, and whatever else may be at hand. Sometimes it takes multiple wedges. Another fix is to use latex or silicone tubing in place of or in combination with the springs. If the inner diameter is big enough, you can force the spring into the tubing and use both. Sometimes it takes some experimentation to find out what works best for you and your guitar.

User Info Menu

You might need to fit the ring to the top better. contour using sand paper laid on top of the area the ring sits and sand the ring down to fit the top. like if you where fitting a floating bridge.

User Info Menu

I have put a piece of shrink tube between one side of the pickup and inside edge of one side on the pickup ring. I don’t heat it, I just stuff it in there. It is more pliable than silicone tubes. It keeps the pickup sturdy inside the ring and also parallel with the strings.