Likes Likes:  0

User Info Menu

I recently purchased a quality used carved top guitar on this forum. Because I use a heavy plain G string, I needed a new bridge saddle cut for intonation purposes. The maker made one for free (thank-you). After fitting it back together, it is playable, but I had to raise the bridge quite high to eliminate buzzes. I love the axe, it's sound and responsiveness. The D string buzzes way before the other strings and I'd like to have a slightly less severe action. However, I lack the skill for a proper set up.

Don't know if it's the curve of the bridge saddle, a high fret somewhere, in need of a full levelling and crowning, or a simple adjustment. I need an expert. Does anyone recommend a skilled set-up luthier within 2 hours of Gloucestershire in the UK?

Thanks, in advance. Ben

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi Ben,

Jonny Kinkead in Bristol is a builder of flattop and archtop guitars. He also fine setup and repair work, as shown in a couple of videos with That Pedal Show on YouTube.

HANDMADE ACOUSTIC GUITARS BRISTOL UK KINKADE GUITARS 0117 924 3279

London Jazz Guitar Society:
    www.meetup.com/londonjazzguitarsociety
    LJGS on Twitter: www.twitter.com/LDNJazzGuitar

User Info Menu

Also,
    ATB Guitars is a high-end, appointment only vintage dealer in Cheltenham. Someone must be doing their set-ups. Might be worth asking who they use?
    Store - ATB Guitars

London Jazz Guitar Society:
    www.meetup.com/londonjazzguitarsociety
    LJGS on Twitter: www.twitter.com/LDNJazzGuitar

Much appreciated. I'll call him.

You know, I had thought of them. Never been in but they smack of very posh instruments. Appointment only. They're next to my fave sushi joint.

I have also been in World Guitars in Stonehouse, but they're quite a bit too snobbish for my taste, only overpriced boutique solid bodies for stupid money.

Thanks again for this rec.

...because they are so close to me. I'll keep you posted on the job they do.