The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
Posts 376 to 400 of 475

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by QAman
    Bryant uses Mahogany for inner layers - and glues the laminates together with hide glue instead of white glue, which he feels is the key to his sound.
    Makes you wonder what wood you're actually hearing in the acoustic voice... the description above does correspond to what you can hear about all-hog guitars .

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Pasquale told Bryant he played at a venue where he opened up for Jeff Beck - with 5000 people...
    Clip below from the Umbria Jazz Festival on Sunday, opening for Jeff Beck. They opened the same stage for Tom Jones on Saturday and played other stages at the festival each night last week. A nine day residency. Nice gig!

Last edited by David B; 07-20-2022 at 01:27 PM.

Pasquale has become a global jazz phenomenon. A sensational player whose versatility enables him to perform in small clubs and on the big stage. He can also choose any guitar he wants.......but the Trenier is his choice, and its become a trademark of his sound.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by QAman; 07-20-2022 at 04:26 PM.

User Info Menu

My 2016 Trenier Motif (which I think was completed in 2018), and which is the very same guitar Pasquale plays on Bryant's site in a video, is still available for sale! I personally delivered it to archtop.com on a recent road trip. Guitar is in fantastic condition. I just don't have enough time for all my guitars. It was on hold but is available again. You probably wouldn't use it for a 5,000 person Jeff Beck opening gig, but it's a fantastic acoustic archtop and it sounds great with plectrum or with the fingers.

User Info Menu

I'll likely go with a spruce top. But when the time comes , Bryant and I will have more discussions....... and I will follow his lead. It will be based on seeing pictures of the laminate plies he has available.

I was just playing my Trenier special ( acoustically ) from the first batch of 4 made. Mine has the built in lollar imperial pickup. Its serial number 1117 , and it too, has a warm woody tone. A very pleasing effortless playing experience, I love it like the day I bought it. It's a laminate unlike others.

These laminates are lighweight builds, and not anything like a heavier Gibson ES series guitar. They have a different timbre, which I find to be very warm and soothing to the ear. Think Jim Hall.....and that's the tone. Pasquale makes it sound like a piano at times.

Ive only played the 4 maple tops from the first batch, but have heard a recent video of the spruce top with the Biltoft CC ( played acoustically ), and it sounded fantastic. If it wasn't already spoken for .......it would already be in my collection.

I have serial number 1118 from the same batch with a floating DeArmond FHC pickup. It was listed in the For Sale section of the Forum by forum member Omphalopsychos and I bought it a year ago. Yes, it's a world of difference from my early 1970's L5-C converted into a CES. Lighter by far, like a violin compared to my other archtops. The tone is very clear and even. I think all four of the first batch of Jazz Specials are owned by forum members now.

User Info Menu

Pasquale has become a global jazz phenomenon. A sensational player whose versatility enables him do perform in small clubs and on the big stage. He can also choose any guitar he wants.......but the Trenier is his choice, and its become a trademark of his sound.

What this proves about Pasquale is that he has the very best of taste in guitars. He has the chops to basically win the Tour De France of Jazz Guitar and sounds wonderful. He plays a Trenier and that speaks volumes. He probably could get a deal worth some serious change from about any guitar manufacturer and he plays the Trenier. My guess is Bryant's wait list will grow to decades and he probably will need to figure out another system. He will be the middle what I call the "Jimmy D'aquisto problem".......a current one is worth more than ordering one from Bryant. At that point he may be better off financially simply making guitars and putting them out for calling. I am not his business manager, but I know what happened to Jimmy D'aquisto. QAman has it completely correct.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by David B
    Clip below from the Umbria Jazz Festival on Sunday, opening for Jeff Beck. They opened the same stage for Tom Jones on Saturday and played other stages at the festival each night last week. A nine day residency. Nice gig!

jazz at a jazz festival? They said it couldn’t be done!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    At that point he may be better off financially simply making guitars and putting them out for calling.
    Bryant wrote on Facebook on 2 June 2021:

Catching Up...

I closed my order list a few years back, and am finally getting close to being able to restructure my building process to better suit my needs and those of my clients. I know I promised many of you I'd get back in touch when I could handle a few more orders - well, now's the time. Please drop me a line if you'd like to commission an instrument for 2022/2023, after that, I'll be making instruments in "collections" for immediate sale.

Thanks for having a look, and for your ongoing support,

Bryant TRENIER

User Info Menu

I dig the Dearmond Model 40/41.
    Real secret weapon pickup.
    Tailpiece controls have been around for a long time.
    Vega used them in North America.
    Fuma (and probably others as well) used them in Germany.
    Attached Images Attached Images Trenier guitars-vega-duotron-jpg Trenier guitars-roger-controls-jpg Trenier guitars-trenier-dearmond-jpg 
    Last edited by Hammertone; 07-23-2022 at 11:03 PM.

User Info Menu

The finish is on.

Trenier guitars-5532520e-289e-4f19-9559-b948e004fd30-jpg
    Last edited by David B; 08-19-2022 at 10:57 AM.

User Info Menu

From photos on Trenier's Instagram account, three of the current batch of four Jazz Specials in progress will have floating pickups of some kind. The fourth will have a traditional three screw mount Charlie Christian pickup.

Trenier guitars-screenshot-2022-08-19-15-47-39-png

Trenier guitars-screenshot-2022-08-19-15-47-57-png

Trenier guitars-screenshot-2022-08-19-15-48-13-png

User Info Menu

From photos on Trenier's Instagram account, three of the current batch of four Jazz Specials in progress will have floating pickups of some kind. The fourth will have a traditional three screw mount Charlie Christian pickup.
    I thought Trenier temporarily stopped making Jazz Specials to focus on other designs and ideas? I may have misunderstood one of his posts in the past.

User Info Menu

The finish is on.

Trenier guitars-5532520e-289e-4f19-9559-b948e004fd30-jpg
    Good god Dave that’s bloody gorgeous

I already have first dibs on one of these floaters should one of those owners back out. Im certainly not wishing anyone does - but I’m in line.

Bryant keeps getting Orders for these , so it’s been hard to get back to carving. Pasquale Grasso loves his floater laminate - and so do many other people.

Plug this into a Henriksen blu6 and it’s hard to beat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

He will get back to carving. My guitar is next.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    Good god Dave that’s bloody gorgeous
    That is stunning!

User Info Menu

I've said it many times, that guy sprays the nicest burst today bar none

User Info Menu

Trenier guitars-screenshot-2022-09-04-12-07-58-pngTrenier guitars-screenshot-2022-09-04-12-07-46-pngTrenier guitars-screenshot-2022-09-04-12-08-11-png

As usual, some exquiste guitars will be coming to life soon.

Bryant just posted this to Instagram. He’s stringing up the current batch of Jazz electrics.

Who else gets this acoustic tone from a laminate ……….no one.

Bryant Trenier on Instagram: "Who says laminated plates are dead? I'm continually impressed by the resonance of these little guitars.

#jazzguitar #jazzspecial #jazzguitarist #trenierguitars"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

So his carved plates are so alive they spawn offspring everywhere?

Wouldn't that be something ...

User Info Menu

Bryant just posted this to Instagram. He’s stringing up the current batch of Jazz electrics.

Who else gets this acoustic tone from a laminate ……….no one.

Bryant Trenier on Instagram: "Who says laminated plates are dead? I'm continually impressed by the resonance of these little guitars.

#jazzguitar #jazzspecial #jazzguitarist #trenierguitars"

A great little video clip to see! Yes, that one's mine (unbound fingerboard). The pickup and pickguard go on this weekend!

Trenier guitars-screenshot-2022-09-09-21-27-19-png
    Last edited by David B; 09-09-2022 at 05:04 PM.

User Info Menu

A great little video clip to see! Yes, that one's mine (unbound fingerboard). The pickup and pickguard go on this weekend!

Trenier guitars-screenshot-2022-09-09-21-27-19-png
    David, that is going to be a treasure! It’s beautiful and sounds great. It is really astounding the sound Bryant can get from a laminate. My carved Trenier sounds spectacular, as you’d expect. His laminates are very special.
    Last edited by Mark M.; 09-09-2022 at 08:48 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M.
    His laminates are very special.
    Has he ever said anything about what he does different?

AFAIK the laminates on my Seagull (who supposedly know this trade well too) are 3 layers of maple. I suppose that it must not be impossible to obtain something that acts a lot like a solid plate of wood of the same thickness, depending on how and what you assemble. I think of it as a bit more 3D control over grain.

Besides, laminate flat-tops are looked down upon, but use balsa for the middle layer and all of a sudden you get a desirable double-top (on paper at least)

User Info Menu

Looks and sounds wonderful!