The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
Posts 301 to 325 of 475
    Quote Originally Posted by AKA
    Steve,

I had assumed the Jazz Special featured a laminated top with a set-in pickup but it seems that’s not the case. Do you know what defines the Jazz Special?

Albert
    Albert,
    The jazz special was conceived by taking a client's "real D'Aquisto" jazz electric and copying it. Bryant has been servicing this clients real D’Aquisto for a while, so he knows whats under the hood. The Trenier build has a few unique differences, one in particular is the 7 ply lamination, as opposed to 3 or 5 used by most builders. All of Bryants jazz electrics thus far have been laminated tops and backs. This does not include Pasquales guitar , which is different.
    This recent build is what Bryant refers to as a mini Excel, in the sense that it's dimensionally the same as the jazz electric , but built out of solid woods and of course dimensionally smaller than a full 17 inch guitar.
    This new build was created based on a discussion with the client, and Bryant is excited about the outcome. The client is traveling to France this summer and will be picking up the guitar during his visit.
    I currently own a Trenier laminate jazz electric and have another one on order to be built with a cc pickup, but might wind up going with this solid wood version.
    What people don't realize is the difficulty and challenge of making laminates from highly figured woods, then dealing with micro separations, and splintering, especially when dealing with a top veneer that's 1mm thick. So, this solid wood version of the laminate jazz electric may become an option, or even replace the Trenier laminate Jazz electric as we know it ....not quite sure at this time.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by QAman; 07-03-2021 at 04:40 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

It appears that it is different from the carved Model E as well. Here’s Bryant’s response to my question about the Model E comparison: “Mark, it’s different in that it's dimensions come directly from Jimmy D'Aquisto's Jazz Specials of the late 1980's. 16" body, short scale.”

The Model E is also 16” but has a 25” scale.
    Last edited by Mark M.; 07-02-2021 at 01:46 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by OldDogNewLicks
    You have a blonde Broadway too?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by QAman
    Albert,
    The jazz special was conceived by taking a client's "real D'Aquisto" jazz electric and copying it. Bryant has been servicing this clients real D’Aquisto for a while, so he knows whats under the hood. The Trenier build has a few unique differences, one in particular is the 7 ply lamination, as opposed to 3 or 5 used by most builders. All of Bryants jazz electrics thus far have been laminated tops and backs. This does not not include Pasquales guitar , which is different.
    This recent build is what Bryant refers to as mini Excel, in the sense that it's dimensionally the same as the jazz electric , but built out of solid woods and of course dimensionally smaller than a full 17 inch guitar.
    This new build was created based on a discussion with the client, and Bryant is excited about the outcome. The client is traveling to France this summer and will be picking up the guitar during his visit.
    I currently own a Trenier laminate jazz electric and have another one on order to be built with a cc pickup, but might wind up going with this solid wood version.
    What people don't realize is the difficulty and challenge of making laminates from highly figured woods, then dealing with micro separations, and splintering, especially when dealing with a top veneer that's 1mm thick. So, this solid wood version of the laminate jazz electric may become an option, or even replace the Trenier laminate Jazz electric as we know it ....not quite sure at this time.

Thanks Steve.

User Info Menu

A family with secrets then! Let me introduce another member of the blonde Broadway family. How many of us are there out there?
    I don’t know. But anyone with a piano in the house is alright with me!

User Info Menu

......I just noticed the ' zero fret ' on one of the blondes.....sorry if that'd been discussed, and I missed it.............

......he doesn't do this all the time, so it begs the question why and how does he decide when he needs that feature ?

...curious and thanks.....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis D
    ......I just noticed the ' zero fret ' on one of the blondes.....sorry if that'd been discussed, and I missed it.............

......he doesn't do this all the time, so it begs the question why and how does he decide when he needs that feature ?

...curious and thanks.....
    My 2016 Trenier Motif has the zero fret too (it's the one on his website). My understanding is that the zero fret is supposed to provide a more even tone between open strings and fretted strings...useful for finger style or other styles where open strings are being used (as opposed to say bebop).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by David B

Beautiful playing. He really lets the notes ring out - which showcases the creamy woody tone of the Trenier electric. These guitars have a very warm/ soft timbre to the note, and different than many laminates on the market. Very D'Aquisto like - with some of Bryants added touch.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by QAman
    Beautiful playing. He really lets the notes ring out - which showcases the creamy woody tone of the Trenier electric. These guitars have a very warm/ soft timbre to the note, and different than many laminates on the market. Very D'Aquisto like - with some of Bryants added touch.

Indeed, sounds lovely! IIRC, this Jazz Special was slightly larger than most...closer to 17" or something like that?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by David B

Finally a young player I can support. I know there are more of them but it’s too much work spending days on YouTube attempting to find them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by coolvinny
    Indeed, sounds lovely! IIRC, this Jazz Special was slightly larger than most...closer to 17" or something like that?
    16.5”

User Info Menu

Nick is playing a lunchtime trio show today at 1pm, streaming live on Facebook and YouTube. Hopefully the footage will stay up for those in other time zones.

YouTube link:

Facebook link: Log into Facebook | Facebook

User Info Menu

For those of you who own a Trenier Broadway, would you please let me know what kind of case came with it and the model number. I would like to replace the worn case that came with my early 16” lower bout non-cutaway Trenier Broadway, but am not sure what to order to ensure a good fit. I should mention that I have a recent Trenier Jazz Special (I will post separately about this guitar soon) and it came with a very nice BAM case. But as much as I like the BAM case I am looking for something less expensive, say along the lines of a TKL or Hiscox case. Thanks!

User Info Menu

When you already own a BAM case (my Jazz Special also came with one) then why would you need another case for the Broadway or do you plan to travel with both guitars ?
    For mere storage a simple Hiscox/TKL 16" case (like for an ES175) would certainly be more than adequate, no ? I own a "budget" Hiscox for my classical guitar and it's a superb value. Just sayin' .....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gitman
    When you already own a BAM case (my Jazz Special also came with one) then why would you need another case for the Broadway or do you plan to travel with both guitars ?
    For mere storage a simple Hiscox/TKL 16" case (like for an ES175) would certainly be more than adequate, no ? I own a "budget" Hiscox for my classical guitar and it's a superb value. Just sayin' .....
    The color dye of the velour interior of the old case looks like it will transfer. I was wiping down the guitar in the case with a damp cloth when I noticed that the color had transferred to the cloth. So the interior is not colorfast. I don’t want it transferring to the guitar. The handle is about to fall off and the exterior is pretty battered. I have to keep all my guitars in cases with humidifiers because our humidity levels get down to 10% in the winter.

I actually am interested in a TKL or Hiscox case, and not a BAM case. Just asking which models will fit the guitar. I could order a case that appears to fit from a seller with a generous return policy and work it that way too.

User Info Menu

You'll find all measurements on the Hiscox site and TKL is just a phone call away, easy fix ! Are you sure your damp cloth did not simply pick up colored LINT ? Sounds very unusual to me that a case lining would actually rub off pigment onto/into a properly lacquered surface but I'm eager to learn !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gitman
    You'll find all measurements on the Hiscox site and TKL is just a phone call away, easy fix ! Are you sure your damp cloth did not simply pick up colored LINT ? Sounds very unusual to me that a case lining would actually rub off pigment onto/into a properly lacquered surface but I'm eager to learn !
    Thanks! I will check their websites. I already have the measurements.

I would have thought the same thing about lint transferring to the cloth but when I washed the cloth there were stains the same color as the interior. I’m not actually seeing any color transferring to the guitar itself but have read online (I think on this forum) where white colored binding has absorbed the dye color from the lining of the case. Not sure how common it is but don’t want to chance it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Eisele
    For those of you who own a Trenier Broadway, would you please let me know what kind of case came with it and the model number. I would like to replace the worn case that came with my early 16” lower bout non-cutaway Trenier Broadway, but am not sure what to order to ensure a good fit. I should mention that I have a recent Trenier Jazz Special (I will post separately about this guitar soon) and it came with a very nice BAM case. But as much as I like the BAM case I am looking for something less expensive, say along the lines of a TKL or Hiscox case. Thanks!
    Hi Bill, mine was delivered from Bryant in a Fame acoustic hard-case. Nothing special to look at but its a sturdy case and a good fit. I'm pretty sure its the same as the one in this link. I've checked and the dimensions match. Hope that's of help.
    Fame Hard-Case Professional (Acoustic Archtop Guitar) | MUSIC STORE professional | en-OT

User Info Menu

I've seen it happen w modern hard cases. I had to dump one that bled, Cedar Creek I believe.

User Info Menu

Hi Bill, mine was delivered from Bryant in a Fame acoustic hard-case. Nothing special to look at but its a sturdy case and a good fit. I'm pretty sure its the same as the one in this link. I've checked and the dimensions match. Hope that's of help.
    Fame Hard-Case Professional (Acoustic Archtop Guitar) | MUSIC STORE professional | en-OT
    Hi, Thanks for the information and link, OldDogNewLicks! I really appreciate you checking it for fit.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    I've seen it happen w modern hard cases. I had to dump one that bled, Cedar Creek I believe.
    George, thanks for corroborating the experience I had with my case interior transferring color, albeit not to the guitar itself. That’s really ashamed that you had to dump a Cedar Creek case. I think they are custom, higher quality versions of TKL cases and I have to assume they are much more expensive.

I appreciate everyone’s input but I guess I should turn the thread back over to the discussion of Trenier guitars, rather than which cases fit a specific Trenier model. Thanks everyone!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Eisele
    George, thanks for corroborating the experience I had with my case interior transferring color, albeit not to the guitar itself. That’s really ashamed that you had to dump a Cedar Creek case. I think they are custom, higher quality versions of TKL cases and I have to assume they are much more expensive.

I appreciate everyone’s input but I guess I should turn the thread back over to the discussion of Trenier guitars, rather than which cases fit a specific Trenier model. Thanks everyone!
    yeah Bill, well I didn't exactly dump it, came w/a custom made guitar and once I started to notice the bleed I put the guitar in an old Gibson Super 400 case.
    the Cedar Creek, though built like a tank now resides in my attic and if ever sell the guitar, it will be sold w/the guitar.

User Info Menu

Bryant Trenier has posted some photos of the completed carved Jazz Special on Facebook within the last hour. Volume and tone controls mounted on the tailpiece, with a floating full humbucker.

Trenier guitars-206647635_4500661963331991_7449722490715724126_n-jpg

Trenier guitars-219216390_4500661953331992_2617276798026729698_n-jpg

Trenier guitars-193386241_4500661966665324_6616559290095870756_n-jpg

User Info Menu

Tried to delete previous post, having grokked the meaning of "volume and tone controls." it's been an intense week.

Looks like the embarrassing post has been deleted. To quote Emily Littella: "Never mind...."