The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Posts 226 to 250 of 475
    Quote Originally Posted by AKA
    Bryant advised my instrument will be shipping in a few days.

AKA
    Albert,
    It looks gorgeous and will be worth the wait for sure. It will ring like a harpsichord and sustain like an organ.
    I like the perimeter trim Bryant incorporated into the tail pc and finger rest - very tasteful !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Bryant just strung up the two Broadway’s and they sound amazing.

User Info Menu

Bryant advised my instrument will be shipping in a few days.

AKA
    AKA, You have on heck of a beautiful guitar coming. It really doesn’t get any nicer than that.
    Enjoy!
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    AKA, You have on heck of a beautiful guitar coming. It really doesn’t get any nicer than that.
    Enjoy!
    Joe D
    Thanks Joe. A retirement gift to myself.

As a long term single note player from the Grant Green school, I look forward to spending time with this instrument developing my chord-melody skills.

AKA

User Info Menu

Steve,

Another “unseen” touch he incorporated was to hide the pickup volume and tone controls. They are accessible beneath the pickguard.

AKA

Quote Originally Posted by QAman
    Albert,
    It looks gorgeous and will be worth the wait for sure. It will ring like a harpsichord and sustain like an organ.
    I like the perimeter trim Bryant incorporated into the tail pc and finger rest - very tasteful !

Steve,

Another “unseen” touch he incorporated was to hide the pickup volume and tone controls. They are accessible beneath the pickguard.

AKA
    Very clever concealment - and an overall gorgeous retirement gift. I didn’t realize you were retiring. I’m presently semi retired for the next two years - then completely retired summer of 2023 - or possibly sooner.

Good luck with your retirement plans Albert.

User Info Menu

Thanks Joe. A retirement gift to myself.

As a long term single note player from the Grant Green school, I look forward to spending time with this instrument developing my chord-melody skills.

AKA
    Beautiful Retirement gift to yourself! I wish you a very happy and loooong retirement.
    Chord Melody = Patience and Repetition.
    You can do it.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos
    Here’s Will’s Special in action. That’s amazing.

Proves the point that no guitar will sound the same with 2 different players - in this case the difference could hardly be greater : listen again to Mr. Trenier's demo of same guitar and then played by it's new owner....
    I'd NEVER guess that it's the same instrument. I liked the first demo better, the second one sounds so bright and stringy ....

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=414358459073750

User Info Menu

Very true but I think both sound great. I really love Will's technique. There's a power behind his attack that gives him a totally unique sound.
    Will is a great player with his own unique sound! Oh, and he's also a great guy!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D'Aquisto Fan
    Will is a great player with his own unique sound! Oh, and he's also a great guy!
    I absolutely loved his sound in the clip!

User Info Menu

Pickguard goes on tomorrow but here's a preview I received today. Looks amazing.

Attachment 81159
    How do you even contain your excitement? I wouldn’t be able to sleep!

User Info Menu

Very true but I think both sound great. I really love Will's technique. There's a power behind his attack that gives him a totally unique sound.
    Dito - Very True ! I just prefer a different tone ....
    But it also proves this : the PLAYER makes the sound, not the instrument. When I decided to order my Jazz Special from Mr. Trenier I had a very good idea which tone I want and would be able to coax out of it. After so many years of playing and a large number of guitars passing through I know pretty well what I want + what to expect from this type of guitar (16", lam top etc.) and what it will be able to put out. I went with him because of his reputation as a very talented luthier - I could have gone with Holst, Borys and a few others in that league but at the time he had an open slot for a Jazz Special build and after a few exchanges with other Trenier owners I pounced. After I got the guitar it took me a few months of tweaking, changing strings, picks, a few trips to my luthier before it had finally settled in and I found my way "into" this instrument, learning it's secrets so to say, where it will go with me and where I'd better choose a different "vehicle". So trying not to sound too full of my self I can now honestly say that I do sound like my unique self with this guitar. The size, weight + neck shape make it an extremely comfortable guitar FOR ME and Mr. Trenier's unique abilities with wood allow me to make it sound like me, without any undue effort - it just took some patience but that was to be expected.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gitman
    Dito - Very True ! I just prefer a different tone ....
    But it also proves this : the PLAYER makes the sound, not the instrument. When I decided to order my Jazz Special from Mr. Trenier I had a very good idea which tone I want and would be able to coax out of it. After so many years of playing and a large number of guitars passing through I know pretty well what I want + what to expect from this type of guitar (16", lam top etc.) and what it will be able to put out. I went with him because of his reputation as a very talented luthier - I could have gone with Holst, Borys and a few others in that league but at the time he had an open slot for a Jazz Special build and after a few exchanges with other Trenier owners I pounced. After I got the guitar it took me a few months of tweaking, changing strings, picks, a few trips to my luthier before it had finally settled in and I found my way "into" this instrument, learning it's secrets so to say, where it will go with me and where I'd better choose a different "vehicle". So trying not to sound too full of my self I can now honestly say that I do sound like my unique self with this guitar. The size, weight + neck shape make it an extremely comfortable guitar FOR ME and Mr. Trenier's unique abilities with wood allow me to make it sound like me, without any undue effort - it just took some patience but that was to be expected.
    This is a very astute summation of the Guitarist/Guitar dynamic. Thank you for this very helpful and wise observation.

User Info Menu

Bryant has now posted photos on Facebook of the completed 2020 and 2021 Broadways.

The 2020 16" L5 style is going to our own Omphalospsychos. The 2021 D'Angelico style is 16.5".

Trenier guitars-179778984_4227251500673040_1083548871845445071_n-jpg

Trenier guitars-179647080_4227251484006375_5884021423417434972_n-jpg

User Info Menu

Trenier guitars-179601492_4227251497339707_5001607314143711003_n-jpg

Trenier guitars-178971216_4227251490673041_6621895978363234286_n-jpg

User Info Menu

Trenier guitars-179095256_4227251487339708_5430542200883687002_n-jpg

Trenier guitars-179642121_4227251494006374_8506742413189669912_n-jpg

User Info Menu

very low profile bridges, interesting

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    very low profile bridges, interesting
    Yes- and that is what enables the top to sing- due to less severe break angle, but yet it will still have that projection and prewar bark.

It’s Old World styling with all the refinements for the modern day player.

My Trenier Broadway is equal in every-way to my 35’ D’Angelico snakehead.

User Info Menu

Two breathtaking guitars. Whew! Bryant is truly an artist. The burst finishes are incredibly beautiful.

Bryant sent me some personal sound clips of these two guitars the other day and they sound like my Trenier Broadway and a Gibson Snakehead L5. Its amazing how he consistently replicates the tone for each build style. They each have a fantastic voice,..... reminiscent of what you'd expect to find during a visit to Gibson , or John D'Angelico shop in the mid 30's. I can only imagine what these will sound like in 1 year when the lacquer hardens ......wow.

This is the experience Bryant Trenier provides ......and its quite hard to beat. No one does this hand rubbed finish better- which dates back to Loar period.

As a builder, you have to immerse yourself in the history to pull off this level of excellence.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Bryant sent me some personal sound clips of these two guitars the other day and they sound like my Trenier Broadway and a Gibson Snakehead L5. Its amazing how he consistently replicates the tone for each build style. They each have a fantastic voice,..... reminiscent of what you'd expect to find during a visit to Gibson , or John D'Angelico shop in the mid 30's. I can only imagine what these will sound like in 1 year when the lacquer hardens ......wow.

This is the experience Bryant Trenier provides ......and its quite hard to beat. No one does this hand rubbed finish better- which dates back to Loar period.

As a builder, you have to immerse yourself in the history to pull off this level of excellence.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    It’s just a pleasure to be able to witness this kind of artistry happening in real time. The fact that we can be witness to these someday historic guitars as Bryant completes them is really special. I feel so fortunate to have one. It’s the only jazz guitar I’ll ever need.

User Info Menu

Yes- and that is what enables the top to sing- due to less severe break angle, but yet it will still have that projection and prewar bark.

John Zeidler was using low profile bridges over 30 yrs ago for that very reason. I just don't see many modern builders using them.

User Info Menu

It’s all the attention to detail and, to build on Steve’s thought, to have such a vivid conception of the best elements of the finest guitars that came before.

Look at the detail on this guitar that Bryant built for his wife. He perfectly matched the grain of the top with the grain of the binding. Who else does that!!??

Trenier guitars-d45554eb-57e9-4a40-935a-da35f2adeb3e-jpeg

User Info Menu

Interestingly enough, it looks like the tailpiece on the L5 type facilitates different break angle for even/odd strings - never seen that before (or maybe never paid much attention)

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=Mark M.;1117894]It’s all the attention to detail and, to build on Steve’s thought, to have such a vivid conception of the best elements of the finest guitars that came before.

Look at the detail on this guitar that Bryant built for his wife. He perfectly matched the grain of the top with the grain of the binding. Who else does that!!??

Hi Mark, that top has no binding - instead, he inlaid a purfling line like it's usually done on violins and cellos, mandolins etc. That way you see the natural edge of the top plate. Not many builders do this - Koentop comes to mind,
    Benedetto on his La Venezia model, David Morse, Scharpach and maybe a few others. An edge-binding serves primarily as a protection against bumps and in second stance as a "bling" feature.