The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Posts 201 to 225 of 475
    I agree with Mark - Joe Vinikow/ Archtop.com ( in particular) is not a name I would want inside my guitar. For me as a buyer, seeing a JV label inside a guitar would lead to some skepticism. If is were a Larry Wexer Label - no problem- that would mean credibility/ transparency.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gitman
    I've seen many , MANY vintage guitars with labels (inside the body, on the back of the headstock, sometimes fastened with screws...) of the store that originally sold them and I always thought that it's part of the instrument's history. Whether it's Joe Vinikow (a very busy and successful seller, having survived in the buisiness for a long time) or your mom+pop store in Boise/Idaho makes no difference really, don't you think ? In most better violins etc. you'll find stickers of the repairmen + sometimes the owners who have handled the instrument over the (sometimes) centuries and nobody would think of removing them...

I see your point and even agree to some extent. But, in this case I feel like it was detracting from the simple elegance of having Bryant’s signature inside. Joe’s label came out easily.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by QAman
    I agree with Mark - Joe Vinikow/ Archtop.com ( in particular) is not a name I would want inside my guitar. For me as a buyer, seeing a JV label inside a guitar would lead to some skepticism. If is were a Larry Wexer Label - no problem- that would mean credibility/ transparency.

From my internet search, it appears this guitar has passed through Larry Wexer’s hands, too, at one point. However, his label is not inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M.
    From my internet search, it appears this guitar has passed through Larry Wexer’s hands, too, at one point. However, his label is not inside.
    Larry doesn’t use a label. I was just making reference to who’s label I would prefer to see - if both sellers pasted labels inside guitars. It was more of a direct comment on who I would trust more as a seller, based on my experience dealing with both.

User Info Menu

Can we dissect the feelings about Joe V. and archtop.com? Is it his over the top salesmanship, or the cost of his guitars, or is it a quality issue, or something else?

BTW- I bought a great 1949 ES-350 years ago from him (probably spent too much) but never thought to pull his label out of the guitar. I just did.

Dan

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gitman
    I've seen many , MANY vintage guitars with labels (inside the body, on the back of the headstock, sometimes fastened with screws...) of the store that originally sold them and I always thought that it's part of the instrument's history. Whether it's Joe Vinikow (a very busy and successful seller, having survived in the buisiness for a long time) or your mom+pop store in Boise/Idaho makes no difference really, don't you think ? In most better violins etc. you'll find stickers of the repairmen + sometimes the owners who have handled the instrument over the (sometimes) centuries and nobody would think of removing them...

yeah, well I don't like seeing decals/stickers etc. from the original store on guitars either. Larry Wexer doesn't do it simply because he's a classy dealer and probably wouldn't want someone's sticker on his instrument either.
    as a matter of fact when I bought my last new car [it's over 20 yrs old now] I specifically told the dealer I didn't want their logo screwed onto the trunk lid.
    I don't need my possessions to be an advertisement for a dealer.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dcrowe
    Can we dissect the feelings about Joe V. and archtop.com? Is it his over the top salesmanship, or the cost of his guitars, or is it a quality issue, or something else?

BTW- I bought a great 1949 ES-350 years ago from him (probably spent too much) but never thought to pull his label out of the guitar. I just did.

Dan
    My desire to remove the label has nothing to do with Joe V. I would have removed it no matter who the dealer was. As I said, I think Joe did well by me. You always have to be careful and ask all the right questions. You need to ask a few more with some dealers. I’ll just leave it there.

User Info Menu

My desire to remove the label has nothing to do with Joe V. I would have removed it no matter who the dealer was. As I said, I think Joe did well by me. You always have to be careful and ask all the right questions. You need to ask a few more with some dealers. I’ll just leave it there.
    Exactly this. I would have removed the label from any modern reseller. Now something vintage with the original stores label on it from the 50s is a different story.

My experience in buying my Trenier from archtop.com could not have gone better.

Glad to hear there have been some recent good experiences dealing with Archtop.com. That was not always the case, and there is a well documented post on that topic. Joe V. did get wind of that post and tried to make good with some disgruntled customers, so hopefully the recent experiences will instill some confidence with future buyers.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    yeah, well I don't like seeing decals/stickers etc. from the original store on guitars either. Larry Wexer doesn't do it simply because he's a classy dealer and probably wouldn't want someone's sticker on his instrument either.
    as a matter of fact when I bought my last new car [it's over 20 yrs old now] I specifically told the dealer I didn't want their logo screwed onto the trunk lid.
    I don't need my possessions to be an advertisement for a dealer.
    Wintermoon,

Me too! They always affix the cheeseball license plate holder to front and back. The first thing I do to the new vehicle is remove them!
    Mark M. has scored a seriously nice guitar, and I'm celebrating for Mark M. !

I want to congratulate you Mark M on your new Trenier! It looks fantastic, and I imagine it's a joy to play. Great guitar, I'm sure. I have one, fortunately, and I love mine. Play it with all the life force that you can, and make some great music for yourself and others to enjoy! I'm going to celebrate Mark's NGD by taking my Trenier off the wall and giving her a serious workout today!

Cheers!

User Info Menu

Thanks, Sky.

Something you don’t come across on reverb every day..... 2008 Trenier from the Seattle days.

Trenier Custom Jazz Guitar 2008 Dark Sunburst | Jim's | Reverb

User Info Menu

Nice!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by OldDogNewLicks
    Something you don’t come across on reverb every day..... 2008 Trenier from the Seattle days.

User Info Menu

Bryant’s signature finish expertise is easily recognizable in this ‘08 guitar.

User Info Menu

The nut width can’t possibly be 2 1/4”, can it?

User Info Menu

That one's been up on Reverb for a year. I wonder if the cramped controls is partially why it has sat that long?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JSanta
    That one's been up on Reverb for a year. I wonder if the cramped controls is partially why it has sat that long?
    I suspect it's because it's priced quite high for an early build.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by coolvinny
    I suspect it's because it's priced quite high for an early build.
    This one was built only 7 before mine, and mine is quite an incredible build. I suspect Bryant had it together pretty well by #51.

The nut width can’t possibly be 2 1/4”, can it?
    I queried that and he measures it as 1 3/4 so not sure where the 2 1/4 came from.
    The seller is the original owner. The neck was built to the specs of a Guild X500 he had at the time.

User Info Menu

Played some friends recital this weekend, brought the Trenier. First time performing with the new pickup and loved the tone. Thought you guys might be interested in hearing it with the Lollar:

Five Points - Bert Ligon original
    Beautiful Love
    Days of Wine and Roses
    Stella By Starlight
    On Green Dolphin Street
    Moment's Notice
    West Coast Blues

Sounds fantastic ! Thanks for sharing.

User Info Menu

Nice playing. Great guitar! Thanks for sharing.

User Info Menu

Bryant advised my instrument will be shipping in a few days.

AKA
    Attached Images Attached Images Trenier guitars-8c70bfa8-32fa-4098-9659-6ef0e05d6519-jpeg Trenier guitars-d0415c8e-e8d2-4862-9fc7-47f413729571-jpeg Trenier guitars-68fa2dcd-6e09-42ee-942e-8e25bc3c3965-jpeg Trenier guitars-progress-photo-1-041821-jpg 
    Last edited by AKA; 04-26-2021 at 07:34 PM.

Remove duplicate post
    Last edited by QAman; 04-26-2021 at 08:48 PM. Reason: Duplicate post