The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Posts 176 to 200 of 475

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThatRhythmMan
    I highly recommend that you do so.

interesting snakehead. I wonder if John himself retrofitted the NYer t.p. or someone else did.
    if he did I wonder why he didn't use a shorter Excel t.p. [I've seen that on another snakehead]

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    interesting snakehead. I wonder if John himself retrofitted the NYer t.p. or someone else did.
    if he did I wonder why he didn't use a shorter Excel t.p. [I've seen that on another snakehead]
    John did it for the original owner (Andy Jackson) in the late 30s. There are a few pics from Jackson’s time with Edgar Hayes which show the tailpiece on the guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThatRhythmMan
    I highly recommend that you do so.

I'm curious about the Trenier. Is that a recent acquisition?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by QAman
    I was playing mine yesterday ....... I also feel the Trenier guitar is easier to play then the original D’Aquisto. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Steve - Can you elaborate?

Albert

Hi Albert,
    Its been such a while I thought your question was about my Trenier Broadway.

The Trenier Jazz Electric has a thin 7 ply laminate, and the adjustable slotted tail pc bracket, which was not likely on the earlier D'Aquisto electrics that I played in Jimmy's shop. The slotted tail pc bracket enables you to adjust downward pressure on the top and affects string tension and playability.

In my opinion, for a modern archtop, the break angle intersect at the tail pc should be on plane with the fingerboard or slightly below. Jimmy D'Aquisto was realizing this on the later period guitars- which contained the slotted bracket. This necessitated a flatter neck set....which Jimmy was doing. He was essentially creating the modern solo archtop, and bringing in some flat top characteristics.

So - for example, if you put a straight edge on the fingerboard and visually extended it through the bridge it should hit the point where the strings enter the tail pc, or slightly below. My Georgian is set up this way and its responsive to the lightest touch - with tons of volume.

Now, if we were playing in the big band Era, the break angle would need to be steeper to project a bright punchy sound - with less sustain.

I attached a pic of my Jazz electric and Georgian so you can see the shallower angle from the bridge saddle to the tail pc. It’s hard to see the plane I’m referring to- but you get the idea.

Last edited by QAman; 03-13-2021 at 06:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fal Tarlow
    Final countdown..
    Will things ever be the same again?

Spruce veneer top, PGs HCC pickup, QAmans brown burst..

Thanks for your help during the waiting period.

Attachment 80041Attachment 80042
    Your getting closer. Great choice with the finish and CC pickup - it will be a warm lush sounding guitar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by QAman
    Hi Albert,
    Its been such a while I thought your question was about my Trenier Broadway.

The Trenier Jazz Electric has a thin 7 ply laminate, and the adjustable slotted tail pc bracket, which was not likely on the earlier D'Aquisto electrics that I played in Jimmy's shop. The slotted tail pc bracket enables you to adjust downward pressure on the top and affects string tension and playability.

In my opinion, for a modern archtop, the break angle intersect at the tail pc should be on plane with the fingerboard or slightly below. Jimmy D'Aquisto was realizing this on the later period guitars- which contained the slotted bracket. This necessitated a flatter neck set....which Jimmy was doing. He was essentially creating the modern solo archtop, and bringing in some flat top characteristics.

So - for example, if you put a straight edge on the fingerboard and visually extended it through the bridge it should hit the point where the strings enter the tail pc, or slightly below. My Georgian is set up this way and its responsive to the lightest touch - with tons of volume.

Now, if we were playing in the big band Era, the break angle would need to be steeper to project a bright punchy sound - with less sustain.

I attached a pic of my Jazz electric and Georgian so you can see the shallower angle from the bridge saddle to the tail pc. It’s hard to see the plane I’m referring to- but you get the idea.

Thanks for illustrating that. I see what you mean, and it makes a great deal of sense. Many thanks!
    Last edited by citizenk74; 03-13-2021 at 05:27 PM. Reason: Capitalization

User Info Menu

I experimented with the tailpiece height for quite some time when I got my Jazz Special, along with different types and gauges of strings and I strongly suggest every new owner does the same - these guitars are so responsive and "efficient" (in lack of a better word) that the slightest changes in these parameters will be heard and felt. My guitar was put together in early 2019, finished by April and I had it my hands by early July - it's nicely settled in now and I THINK I have found the optimal combination of string gauge+type, action and general setup by now which works for ME and my special requirements. Very interesting journey and mos. def. a learning experience ... I'd LOVE to get my hands on one of these 16" solid-wood archtops .... so tempting !

User Info Menu

Finally got the Lollar Imperial in my Trenier to replace the Duncan it arrived with. Wow, what a huge upgrade!!! I had a thread on the forum and a lot of people recommended this model. I reached out to Bryant as well and he confirmed those recommendations as one of the best choices for what I am looking for.

It just "feels" better to play, as the notes have more of a creaminess to them, similar to the 57 classics in my 335. This gave the guitar better warmth, better clarity, and much better evenness in response across all strings when compared to the Duncan. The had SD had a stark contrast between the wounds and unwounds and was more brittle sounding. The only trade off, which is not necessarily a bad thing at all just different, is that this is more "electric" sounding than the Duncan, if you know what I mean. Its hard describing these concepts of tone.

User Info Menu

Incoming:

Trenier guitars-4573becb-708d-4440-8915-74ee872f9cd4-jpegTrenier guitars-3dcdd310-9ccb-49ed-88de-6c8b041ee007-jpegTrenier guitars-115eddcb-65a4-497a-b21d-baa866a716d0-jpegTrenier guitars-735b7a74-a8d0-4f5f-8456-6a9253fe3d86-jpegTrenier guitars-68a9045c-b6b8-47d0-993c-ef0b84d8b382-jpegTrenier guitars-a118495f-5bc6-4069-9e97-665f98a7dd3b-jpegTrenier guitars-ac3e43e3-065d-4788-b251-e22ca6276804-jpeg

I’ll report back when I receive it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M.
    Incoming:

Trenier guitars-4573becb-708d-4440-8915-74ee872f9cd4-jpegTrenier guitars-3dcdd310-9ccb-49ed-88de-6c8b041ee007-jpegTrenier guitars-115eddcb-65a4-497a-b21d-baa866a716d0-jpegTrenier guitars-735b7a74-a8d0-4f5f-8456-6a9253fe3d86-jpegTrenier guitars-68a9045c-b6b8-47d0-993c-ef0b84d8b382-jpegTrenier guitars-a118495f-5bc6-4069-9e97-665f98a7dd3b-jpegTrenier guitars-ac3e43e3-065d-4788-b251-e22ca6276804-jpeg

I’ll report back when I receive it.
    Nice! That one caught my eye, too. Let us know what you think when you get it.

User Info Menu

You're a lucky man !

User Info Menu

I was wondering who bought it, glad it was someone on the forum!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JSanta
    I was wondering who bought it, glad it was someone on the forum!
    Agreed! That site has been having a good number of Treniers pop up recently, usually older ones. Its where I got mine a few months back

User Info Menu

It’s here, and it’s even better than I ever imagined it could be. I am stunned, really. I’ll do a NGD post and give a full report when I can catch my breath.

User Info Menu

It’s here, and it’s even better than I ever imagined it could be. I am stunned, really. I’ll do a NGD post and give a full report when I can catch my breath.
    Awesome, Mark! Looking forward to your NGD. I wonder how the Model E compares to the Jazz Special? Obviously the Model E is a carved top vs. the laminate of the Jazz Special. Congratulations!

No surprise by your reaction....its a Trenier - and a fully carved instrument that would cost you double what you paid if ordering it new today. I knew that guitar wouldn't last long.

Smart buy !!

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

MARK,

Congratulations! Your excitement is infectious! (I’m expecting an instrument from Trenier soon.)

AKA

User Info Menu

This is kind of cool. No label, just Bryant’s signature with the serial number stamped inside:

Trenier guitars-4641cb57-847f-4c30-8d45-ecf3891fa8c4-jpg

Just like Jim D'Aquisto numbered and signed his builds.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

....I’m going to have to take Joe V’s label out of the inside if I can. He did well by me, but that thing has to go.

User Info Menu

....I’m going to have to take Joe V’s label out of the inside if I can. He did well by me, but that thing has to go.
    I definitely removed that as well. It is a little much...

User Info Menu

He puts his own labels in guitars he sells? That's pretty weird/annoying, but then he is Mr. Marketing.

User Info Menu

He puts his own labels in guitars he sells? That's pretty weird/annoying, but then he is Mr. Marketing.
    yeah at least in my experience. It struck me as a little odd, but came out no problem with a pair of tweezers

User Info Menu

I've seen many , MANY vintage guitars with labels (inside the body, on the back of the headstock, sometimes fastened with screws...) of the store that originally sold them and I always thought that it's part of the instrument's history. Whether it's Joe Vinikow (a very busy and successful seller, having survived in the buisiness for a long time) or your mom+pop store in Boise/Idaho makes no difference really, don't you think ? In most better violins etc. you'll find stickers of the repairmen + sometimes the owners who have handled the instrument over the (sometimes) centuries and nobody would think of removing them...