The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 475

User Info Menu

There is new Trenier jazz special clip from Will Sellenraad. Enjoy!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D'Aquisto Fan
    I keep going back to this guitar. If I was in a position to get a Trenier and I didn't want to wait for a new build, I would pull the trigger on this one.

Trenier Magnolia 2012 Sunburst | Reverb
    I too have looked at it. More than I want to go on the price but it is one builder I could be tempted to buy for the right price. His guitars are stunning in all respects.

This Magnolia is a spectacular instrument and likely would be 15k new today. It also has a 1k fret job by one the best NYC guitar techs in the business.

User Info Menu

So there are a few different "Trenier" related threads - "Bryant Trenier Guitars" and "Trenier Guitars (Luthier Bryant Trenier)" among them - but this one seems to be the most on point re the Jazz Electrics.

Anyway, as many know, Bryant is working on a batch of 4 or 5 of them. He's posted some updates. I have one of this batch and Bryant reached out a week or so ago to let me know delivery would be in the reasonably near future (we had to firm up colour choice).

Mine will be the laminated spruce top with floater (seems all the others will have routed pickups). If COVID continues to slow the pace of the world generally for a few months yet, then having this guitar soon-ish will be great.

Who else is expecting one of this batch?

User Info Menu

My friend Nick on his 2019 Jazz Special.

Quote Originally Posted by David B
    My friend Nick on his 2019 Jazz Special.

Beautiful playing. The tone on his guitar is fantastic - this is why I love Trenier’s. The TONE is fat and rich - like a great guitar should be.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by coolvinny
    So there are a few different "Trenier" related threads - "Bryant Trenier Guitars" and "Trenier Guitars (Luthier Bryant Trenier)" among them - but this one seems to be the most on point re the Jazz Electrics.

Anyway, as many know, Bryant is working on a batch of 4 or 5 of them. He's posted some updates. I have one of this batch and Bryant reached out a week or so ago to let me know delivery would be in the reasonably near future (we had to firm up colour choice).

Mine will be the laminated spruce top with floater (seems all the others will have routed pickups). If COVID continues to slow the pace of the world generally for a few months yet, then having this guitar soon-ish will be great.

Who else is expecting one of this batch?
    I'm eagerly awaiting a Jazz Electric in this batch. Can't wait! I've played a friend's Jazz Electric and it was exceptional. I'm sure you'll love yours, Coolvinny!

Some recent pics of guitars in progress as of yesterday.

User Info Menu

That picture brings back memories of Bill Barker's shop as he normally did a batch of 5 guitars at a time. They would look much like that picture almost exactly. Barker would always string up and put the guitars completely together and then play them for about a week. Then take all the hardware off and apply the finish. QAman I assume this will be a traditional nitro finish? As hard as it is to get a guitar carved and sounding good it is equally as difficult to get a great finish. Making an archtop guitar is no easy process, just when a builder thinks they have it down by carving the body and neck............then they have to make the finish stunning because we know first impressions are so important. Bryant seems to really have the process down.

I am seriously trying to figure a way to get that Trenier Magnolia for sale on reverb. One thing would get that puppy many it will happen.

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    That picture brings back memories of Bill Barker's shop as he normally did a batch of 5 guitars at a time. They would look much like that picture almost exactly. Barker would always string up and put the guitars completely together and then play them for about a week. Then take all the hardware off and apply the finish. QAman I assume this will be a traditional nitro finish? As hard as it is to get a guitar carved and sounding good it is equally as difficult to get a great finish. Making an archtop guitar is no easy process, just when a builder thinks they have it down by carving the body and neck............then they have to make the finish stunning because we know first impressions are so important. Bryant seems to really have the process down.

I am seriously trying to figure a way to get that Trenier Magnolia for sale on reverb. One thing would get that puppy many it will happen.
    Mark,
    Hanging around a guitar builders shop is very exciting for sure. Bryant will be applying nitro to these, and his shading and finish work is gorgeous. He dont put the finish on too heavy. His guitars breathe and sustain forever.

I understand the Magnolia is an outstanding guitar...if you can ...grab it. That build today would be nearly twice the asking price. John Stewart knows fine guitars. He handles the very best Archtops and if he says its great.....it is.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by QAman; 04-18-2020 at 11:43 AM.

User Info Menu

Here is another video by the very talented Will Sellenraad playing his Trenier Jazz Electric with a real vintage Charlie Christian pickup through a wide panel tweed Bandmaster. Enjoy!

User Info Menu

You know, for a long time I was blissfully ignoring my upcoming Trenier Jazz Special delivery...but once he started posting pics of the 2020 it's been on my mind a lot! How will it compare to my 2016 Motif?? The plan is for the Jazz Special to become my "no. 1 guitar", something I can play standing, seated, unplugged, plugged, etc...It's been kind of annoying splitting my practice time between my 1 3/4" nut Motif and my 1 11/16" Collings; they feel more different than the specs would suggest. Will be good to have some consistency. Also I find the 1 11/16" scale rather cramped for chord melody (left hand, not right hand) perhaps also due to the slightly shorter 24 7/8" scale. Anyways, hopefully all my problems will be solved soon with the 1.75" / 25" scale Trenier.

User Info Menu

Like coolvinny, I put my Trenier Jazz Special out of mind for many months. But knowing the end is drawing near is getting me excited. I'm leaving much of the build up to Bryant's inspiration. I'm sure it will be a wonderful guitar.

User Info Menu

Like coolvinny, I put my Trenier Jazz Special out of mind for many months. But knowing the end is drawing near is getting me excited. I'm leaving much of the build up to Bryant's inspiration. I'm sure it will be a wonderful guitar.
    I've also tried to leave a fair bit up to Bryan't artistic sensibilities, but I gave him some broad parameters. I think mine will be quite different from the other 2020 Jazz Specials based on those parameters - most notably the floating pickup but also a bit less ornate.

User Info Menu

I've also tried to leave a fair bit up to Bryan't artistic sensibilities, but I gave him some broad parameters. I think mine will be quite different from the other 2020 Jazz Specials based on those parameters - most notably the floating pickup but also a bit less ornate.
    Your laminated spruce top should be cool. I'm typically not a huge fan of overly flamey maple tops on archtops. I never thought of requesting a laminated spruce top. Too late now!

User Info Menu

Your laminated spruce top should be cool. I'm typically not a huge fan of overly flamey maple tops on archtops. I never thought of requesting a laminated spruce top. Too late now!
    Actually it began by me requesting a "plain" maple top, but none were available so Bryant suggested that he may be able to use spruce.

User Info Menu

Here is another video of Will Sellenraad playing his beautiful Trenier Jazz Special. A really sweet, succinct version of Waltz New by Jim Hall with bassist Richard Mikel as performed in our social distancing world.

User Info Menu

I thought we'd have some new pics by now...does anyone have the inside scoop? I know it won't be long now, but the home stretch of waiting is killing me!

I thought we'd have some new pics by now...does anyone have the inside scoop? I know it won't be long now, but the home stretch of waiting is killing me!
    Bryant is in the process of finishing up some of the jazz electrics - pics coming soon.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by QAman
    Bryant is in the process of finishing up some of the jazz electrics - pics coming soon.
    Haha yes, I know they're close...I'm just very keen these days. I've now got my closing payment in USD ready and today installed another guitar hanger, so I'm super ready.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

For those interested- here is a link showing status on 2 of a current 6 pc batch of Jazz Electrics .

Trenier Guitars - Home | Facebook

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by David B
    Awesome tone in that video, one that I can relate to as my ideal. Quite similar to PB's tone.