The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819
Posts 451 to 475 of 475

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by QAman
    Yes- and that is what enables the top to sing- due to less severe break angle, but yet it will still have that projection and prewar bark.

It’s Old World styling with all the refinements for the modern day player.

My Trenier Broadway is equal in every-way to my 35’ D’Angelico snakehead.
    Apologies for resurrecting an old comment, or if this has been discussed in detail elsewhere, but my Trenier Broadway has the adjustable tailpiece bracket. It came to me with the tailpiece elevated and a fairly flat break angle which is how I left it (the middle of the mounting screw slots). Coming from a flat top background, a steep break angle (at the bridge and nut) was critical for a strong and clear tone. Why is this not the same for an archtops?

Thanks!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Betz
    Apologies for resurrecting an old comment, or if this has been discussed in detail elsewhere, but my Trenier Broadway has the adjustable tailpiece bracket. It came to me with the tailpiece elevated and a fairly flat break angle which is how I left it (the middle of the mounting screw slots). Coming from a flat top background, a steep break angle (at the bridge and nut) was critical for a strong and clear tone. Why is this not the same for an archtops?

Thanks!
    Flat tops and archtops make sound quite different. The flat top has the bridge moving top anchor right there. Archtop has the whole bridge being moved from a long anchor point not touching the soundboard.

In reality very different physics and production of sound. Flat tops tend to be less versatile over an entire spectrum of musical styles. They certainly are much more changeable without doing anything structural to the guitar. With a flat top you get what you get. Archtops allow many changes in set up to craft different aspects of sound.

User Info Menu

That is what really stood out to me with the carved archtop. With the flat top, you do get a change in tone as you move your picking closer to or farther from the bridge, whereas with the Broadway there is this spectrum of available tones by varying picking position or dynamics.

I guess I was thinking that a steep break angle would transfer more energy to that large top, and therefore more sound / clarity / complexity.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Betz
    That is what really stood out to me with the carved archtop. With the flat top, you do get a change in tone as you move your picking closer to or farther from the bridge, whereas with the Broadway there is this spectrum of available tones by varying picking position or dynamics.

I guess I was thinking that a steep break angle would transfer more energy to that large top, and therefore more sound / clarity / complexity.
    My experience with this movable tailpiece-anchor on my old Borys and my new Trenier has been this : moving the thing DOWN resulted in a brighter tone withe a somewhat quicker attack (great for classic style comping) , sliding it UP
    made the tone smoother, softer with prolonged sustain and less piercing - since these guitars are meant to be played plugged in these artifacts did not carry over that significantly into the electric tone of the guitars. It was less noticeable tone-wise
    but the feel of the action and string tension also differed so I played around with it until I found the sweet spot and I kept it there.
    Different types and gauges of strings have a more pronounced effect, no doubt.
    YMMV and one aspect should be very clear : the guitars I mentioned both have laminated tops - a solid carved spruce top will def. be more sensitive to changes in string pressure onto the bridge....

User Info Menu

The tailpiece anchor is currently mounted right in the center of the range. Your description of smoother, softer, and less piercing is spot on. It is almost keyboard-like finger style. There is an initial attack and bloom with a pick, but it is not sharp. I am going to have to spend some time adjusting this up and down to hear what happens. I initially got the guitar for finger style but it is so damn beautiful with the pick. Makes me want to learn Autumn in New York as it has ‘that sound’ in my head.

Thanks!

User Info Menu

A new video from Will Sellenraad on his Jazz Special. 'Night and Day' with vocalist Lee Taylor.

User Info Menu

Bryant Trenier just posted today this short video showing his latest batch of instruments. "A Calore (version 2), a Continental, a very custom guitar featuring inlay of mons and clouds, and a few Jazz Specials."

Last edited by David B; 02-18-2024 at 06:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by David B
    Bryant Trenier just posted today this short video showing his latest batch of instruments. "A Calore (version 2), a Continental, a very custom guitar featuring inlay of mons and clouds, and a few Jazz Specials."

Thanks for the post. Bryant sent me a few short audio clips of these when first strung up. His instruments deliver a sonic experience at the highest level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I just love that light (almond?) burst color.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    I just love that light (almond?) burst color.
    Yeah, I love that color too. In fact, I ordered mine in a light sunburst, basically that color, but somehow it wasn't meant to be. A little disappointing, but it is beautiful in its own right, and once I start playing, I forget about everything but its incredible tone.
    Attached Images Attached Images Trenier guitars-trenier-jpg 

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FourOnSix
    Yeah, I love that color too. In fact, I ordered mine in a light sunburst, basically that color, but somehow it wasn't meant to be. A little disappointing, but it is beautiful in its own right, and once I start playing, I forget about everything but its incredible tone.

I saw your guitar on Bryant’s FB page during its build and thought it was beautiful and sounded incredible but I can see why you would be disappointed if you were expecting a lighter sunburst. In 2022 I was fortunate to be able to buy his Jazz Special (#1140) from that same batch of guitars and it’s spectacular.

Attached Images Attached Images Trenier guitars-img_0080-jpeg 

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by David B
    A new video from Will Sellenraad on his Jazz Special. 'Night and Day' with vocalist Lee Taylor.

Nice pair

of hands.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    Nice pair

of hands.
    Man, I can't take these modern singers except maybe Samara.
    Jabbs, if you like hands you'll probably enjoy that Cyrille Aimee La Vie en Rose video at Emmet Cohens

User Info Menu

I had never heard of that guitarist or singer but for me that performance was pretty awful.He's obviously a talented guitar player so i checked out his website and his video's on there just didn't do much for me either. On a positive note that Trenier is one beautiful guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    Nice pair of hands.

User Info Menu

4on6, I like the color.
    I'm with Wintermoon on the music. I tried to find something that I could like about it. But.

Here is a great video of Pasquale and Samara Joy.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk

Here is another great video with Laura Benanti and Pasquale.

User Info Menu

Now Pasquale and Samara are a completely different story!

And Pasquale with anyone, or alone. Especially with a Trenier.

QAman, I had the pleasure of seeing them at Jazz Alley, and the next day spending a couple of hours with him in a small group of players. It was very cool.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by QAman
    Here is another great video with Laura Benanti and Pasquale.

She's OK nothing special imo, there's a lot of singers that are competent, but SJ has it.

Hi Sky,
    What a treat hanging with Pasquale. I met him a few times at Bryant's Wesley Hills NY shop and it was a fun day for sure. Bryants guitars are a perfect fit for his style, and he's been a Trenier player for many years.

I just love his tone - its very pianistic at times.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    She's OK nothing special imo, there's a lot of singers that are competent, but SJ has it.

And, do not get me wrong, I am no prude all, but for Samara with all that honesty, seriousness and astonishing maturity for her age in her voice it is absolutely not necessary to present herself with that type of body language like in a pop video.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bop Head
    And, do not get me wrong, I am no prude all, but for Samara with all that honesty, seriousness and astonishing maturity for her age in her voice it is absolutely not necessary to present herself with that type of body language like in a pop video.
    Agreed, I noticed that and her voice sounded really processed to me in that clip. She can sing competenly, I wasn't cringing like the other chick made me watching the Night and Day clip. Not trying to be too harsh, but if I never heard from her again I wouldn't miss her, there's a ton of vocalists like that out there.
    I don't know if it was her idea to writhe around or maybe the video director's, but it did nothing for me.
    Now if Samara writhed around I wouldn't mind if she could still sing Solitude like that, though it might be a distraction
    But hey, if she was singing behind a curtain I still would've been impressed

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    No question that Samara Joy is an absolutely amazing singer, with a gorgeous voice and terrific control of her instrument.

In Laura Benanti's defense, she is primarily an actor, with an impressive Broadway, TV, and film résumé (and a funny stint some years ago for Stephen Colbert as Melania). I have seen her completely wow an audience from the stage in several different shows – musicals, yes, but plays as well.

So I would say that for me, she compares favorably with many other not-primarily-jazz-singers who have forayed into the Great American Songbook (Rod Stewart? Bob Dylan? Willie Nelson? James Taylor?).

This particular song in the video with Pasquale is one she wrote, by the way.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ukena
    No question that Samara Joy is an absolutely amazing singer, with a gorgeous voice and terrific control of her instrument.
    She gives me hope for humans.