The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Posts 101 to 125 of 475
    Bryant just posted some new pics today of finished guitars for those interested.

Here is the link:

Instagram Photos

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

WOW!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by coolvinny
    Not yet. Bryant is waiting for an order of KA 12-pole floating humbuckers to arrive. Hopefully soon...
    The KA 12-pole floater has finally landed with Bryant after a long journey from the US. Sounds like I'll have my Jazz Special in about 10 - 12 days. I've been playing acoustic duo jams in a local park with a 7-string nylon player I know for the past few weeks...I'm very curious about whether this laminate/floater Trenier will be loud enough to hang in that sort of thing.

User Info Menu

The KA 12-pole floater has finally landed with Bryant after a long journey from the US. Sounds like I'll have my Jazz Special in about 10 - 12 days. I've been playing acoustic duo jams in a local park with a 7-string nylon player I know for the past few weeks...I'm very curious about whether this laminate/floater Trenier will be loud enough to hang in that sort of thing.
    That will largely depend on the string gauge, the action and the strength of your picking hand - I've had the tailpiece on mine down low for the most string-pressure on the bridge and with a set of 013's the guitar cut surprisingly well ! It was not a "pretty" sound but certainly loud enough for comping in an acoustic 4-tet setting with bass, sax and trumpet. After a few gigs with that setup I decided to return to a more mellow sounding setup, changed strings to halfrounds, raised the tailpiece to a bit more than halfway up and struck a working compromise. It's astounding how a small change in the tailpiece has a profound effect on the tone of the guitar.... you'll have a great time finding all that out ! Prepare for many string changes over the next few weeks ....

User Info Menu

Thanks Gitman...but to clarify did you mean the tailpiece or the bridge? I've never heard of a tailpiece that can be adjusted but if so then this will be an interesting novelty for me to explore.

I usually get a pretty big sound of the instrument due to my pick angle (basically perpendicular, not angled) and my choice of pick (Blue Chip KS60 with unbeveled edges), however for strings I plan to use 12 gauge nickel roundwounds (D'Addario or equivalent) but with a 13/17 for the treble strings, at least to start. If I don't like those I'll probably try TI Bebop 13's.

FWIW apparently my Jazz Special, compared to past "acoustic" versions of this model, is a bit quieter but a bit sweeter sounding, in part due to the spruce lam top. Also mine might have a slightly shallower body depth than is "standard" on this model, so that will obviously mean a bit less volume.

User Info Menu

Like on my (long gone, sadly) Borys B120 the tailpiece is secured with one larger screw (> strappin) and 2 small one to the left and right. The screw-slots in the tailpiece-hinge are about 1/2" long so you can slide it up or down.
    I chose the lam-top Jazz-Special with a floater as opposed to a built-in pickup to come closer to a working compromise between size, acoustic potential and a more or less classic electric tone.
    In some situations I need to play unplugged so the acoustic volume is not a minor issue. I'm talking about pounding out straight 4/4's on standard swing tunes etc., not about taking any solo's.
    Medium gauge flats will obviously not bring out the brilliance and cutting power compared to roundwounds and therefor the guitar won't perform optimally when not amplified. If this scenario is absent in your case then you have much more wiggle-room !

User Info Menu

My very special Jazz Special will soon be with me: Trenier Guitars - Home | Facebook - obviously I'm very excited. Will I keep my 2016 Motif and this 2020 Jazz Special? Only time will tell...I'll need to live with them both for a while.

Trenier Guitars - Trenier Guitars added a new photo — in... | Facebook

Coolvinny,
    I just looked at the pics of your finished guitar and its gorgeous. It will sound like nothing you’ve ever played. I own a Trenier Jazz electric and the tone and playability will inspire you to play things you’ve never tried. The unplugged acoustic quality of this model is just so impressive - unlike most laminates.
    I own some very nice instruments and my Trenier Jazz electric is the best laminate I’ve ever played.
    Looking forward to your NGD.
    Last edited by QAman; 08-23-2020 at 08:12 PM.

User Info Menu

My very special Jazz Special will soon be with me: Trenier Guitars - Home | Facebook - obviously I'm very excited. Will I keep my 2016 Motif and this 2020 Jazz Special? Only time will tell...I'll need to live with them both for a while.

Trenier Guitars - Trenier Guitars added a new photo — in... | Facebook
    What a gorgeous guitar. I'm sure it will sound as great as it looks. Look forward to hearing your thoughts when it arrives!

User Info Menu

Thanks all, I think it will be a really versatile jazzbox. Aesthetically it's perfect to my eyes and I've no doubt that it will sound great. I just hope I find it comfortable to play while standing and that it's loud enough to hang in casual unplugged jams.

Now actually shipped and on its way to me! DHL, please be careful !
    Might be staycation time soon.

User Info Menu

Thanks all, I think it will be a really versatile jazzbox. Aesthetically it's perfect to my eyes and I've no doubt that it will sound great. I just hope I find it comfortable to play while standing and that it's loud enough to hang in casual unplugged jams.

Now actually shipped and on its way to me! DHL, please be careful !
    Might be staycation time soon.
    Wow, you’ve a Trenier enroute? You’re so very fortunate!

User Info Menu

She's due to arrive today. Overdue, really, given it took 2 days to travel incredible distance from France to Vancouver and now it's taking 5 days to finally clear customs. The tax bill wasn't as bad as I thought so that's a bonus.

User Info Menu

Must be like a first date with the girl of your dreams, waiting for her to come to the door! What a kick. Enjoy!

User Info Menu

Wow, I just realized that I ordered this guitar in October 2017. Three years ago! So much has happened since then.

Guitar received and is generally awesome. Still getting to know her. Changed some strings last night but couldn't get the low E from a TI Bebop 13 set to fit, so I put a DA 52 on there for that one string.

Early impressions are that the 2.5" body depth (he may have customized this for me, as I think most others are 2.75" or 3") is extremely comfortable sitting or standing but still with very good bass response especially from the low E. It sounds WAY bigger than my HB equipped Collings Eastside Jazz LC (15 x 1 11/16 body dimensions), at least through a small amp (Mambo 8). I have always said that one advantage of larger guitars is that you can get a big sound through a small amp.

Is it loud enough to jam unplugged with another player? Perhaps barely, but not outdoors like in a park. Some of that is likely due to the 2.5" body depth. But definitely loud enough to practice on even in a large room with less sound reinforcement; not far off a few carved guitars I've played and louder than some with mounted pickups.

The rosewood binding is awesome.

It is a compact do-it-all jazzbox.

Coolvinny,
    Glad it arrived safely. It’s amazing how much unplugged volume Bryant gets out of his laminate builds. I just love mine- and the more I play it - the more I appreciate what it has to offer.

Wishing you many hours of enjoyment

User Info Menu

Thanks QAman, so far I'm very happy.

Question to you and the other Jazz Special owners: what is the rim to rim depth on your Jazz Specials? I'm pretty sure most are 2.75". From Bryant's recently completed pics there were a few that appeared to be around 3". I think his "standard" is 2.75". Again, I love the fact that mine is 2.5" since I mostly practice and play standing but I know I'm in the minority there...most guitarists play while seated.

Thanks QAman, so far I'm very happy.

Question to you and the other Jazz Special owners: what is the rim to rim depth on your Jazz Specials? I'm pretty sure most are 2.75". From Bryant's recently completed pics there were a few that appeared to be around 3". I think his "standard" is 2.75". Again, I love the fact that mine is 2.5" since I mostly practice and play standing but I know I'm in the minority there...most guitarists play while seated.
    Glad your happy - it’s a one of a kind jazz laminate. I’m out of town right now , but when I’m back home Saturday I’ll take some measurements and let you know.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos
    Mine's a comfy 2.75....
    Thanks, that's what I thought. It was a conscious trade-off I made for added standing comfort, and the slimmer body depth is one reason I finally decided on the floating pickup.

Pics will follow. Life is busy right now. It looks incredible. Even the neck binding has burst...never seen that before! I'm hoping to plug it into my 12" open back tonight for a few minutes and cause some trouble.

User Info Menu

Wait a minute. Are you saying it was over a 3 year wait for this guitar? Is Bryant that backed up?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Wait a minute. Are you saying it was over a 3 year wait for this guitar? Is Bryant that backed up?
    3 years less a month, but it was always scheduled for 2020 delivery. Just turned out to be September (would have been July without the KA pickup delivery issue) instead of January. But yes, Bryant is very busy and that's why he closed his order book for now.

User Info Menu

I believe that Bryant closed his order book about a year ago to 1) dig out of his current order book and 2) to take some time to execute some house renovations to his place in Uzes. My guitar (17” Artifex) from Bryant was ordered in November 2017 and delivered in April 2019 (about 17-months).

Coolvinny,
    I just measured my Trenier Jazz electric and the body depth measures 2-5/8( 2.625).

For a laminate, I find the shallower body depth better for note definition and warmth, especially with Bryants light weight laminates - they deliver a creamy warm tone.
    These guitars are like nothing else on the market- they have a unique sensitivity.
    I wound imagine your 2-1/2 sounds wonderful.

Hope your enjoying the guitar. Would love to hear your impressions after you’ve had it for a few days.

User Info Menu

Thanks for that intel QAman. Seems like his Jazz Specials have historically ranged from 2 5/8” to around 3”. Mine is 2.5” and just very slightly (like 1/16”) less than that in a few spots.

The guitar is settling in nicely. The neck is a little deeper than the slimmer necks of my Collings (which has their 60’s specs rather than their far more common 50’s profile) and my Trenier Motif, and the 25” scale is the longest I’ve had in years for a guitar I play standing up. Add in new strings (TI Bebop 13’s) and it took me a few days to get comfortable.

Happy to report that the acoustic volume is totally sufficient for satisfying outdoor play. In fact it was so satisfying that I practiced for an hour in a park yesterday. Sure I’d get drowned out by a 17” carved top if that player was picking hard, but I could jam duo with someone outdoors under sensible conditions.

Acoustically vs my carved 16” (maybe 16.25) x 3” Trenier Motif, the Jazz Special is of course quieter and not as sweet, but still has that nice Trenier sustain. I don’t know how he does it. They sound more similar than different which is pretty amazing given the laminate construction, 0.5” reduced body depth and approx 0.125 to 0.25” reduced bout width.

My 12” open back is on the fritz so I can’t report on how it sounds through that yet, but through my Henriksen Blu I’m surprised by the acoustic sound also coming through the amp (in a good way, with a bit of a carved top vibe). I didn’t get that with my Andersen Lam Vanguard and when I A/B with my Collings Eastside Jazz (humbucker) I don’t get that either. Probably a combination of the non-routed top and the KA pickup.

Through the amp it sounds best with the volume around 7 and the tone around 8. Again I think this is due to the floating pickup being closer to the strings vs a routed pickup.

Amazing guitar.

Coolvinny,
    Im glad your experiencing the sustain element common to every Trenier. Its the result of perfectly fitting internal braces, proper neck angle and his bridge set up.
    You were right on the money with your statement regarding the acoustic vibe coming through the amp, this is what I love about my Trenier jazz electric.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

...update, I was able to "fix" my 12" open back with some well placed smacks (seems that some internal wiring is loose). Wow, the Jazz Special sounds incredible through it. This is the original (prototype actually) Henriksen/Sound Island Alfresco 12" with the older 112 electronics and Weber Black Shuck speaker; it was Michael Biller's demo amp that he sold to me a few years ago. I'm still getting that acoustic vibe through the amp at reasonable volumes yet it still sounds electric and fat. I'm not getting any of that anemic floater tone that sometimes occurs.

The guitar is extremely feedback resistant, I must say!

Also I turned the reverb completely off for all my demoing...it didn't need any reverb to sound great.