Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 101 to 114 of 114

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by coolvinny
    And more pics
    Gorgeous, Coolvinny! You must be very excited. Looking forward to hearing your assessment of the guitar after it arrives. Thanks for sharing
    the beautiful pictures!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Trenier's D'Aquisto inspired guitars are gorgeous - reminds me a lot of my early 80s Borys BG-100 ...
    Attached Images Attached Images Trenier guitars-borys-frony-bg-100-jpg 

User Info Menu

Good to see you here mrichman!

Coolvinny,
    Have you received your new Trenier yet?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by QAman View Post
    Coolvinny,
    Have you received your new Trenier yet?
    Not yet. Bryant is waiting for an order of KA 12-pole floating humbuckers to arrive. Hopefully soon...

User Info Menu

Bryant has posted more pics of two completed Jazz Specials. Do these "belong" to anyone here?? I see that one has a spruce veneer top like "mine" (i.e. the one I'm waiting on pending receipt and installation of floating pick-up). These two look really great, congratulations to the expecting owners!

Trenier Guitars - Home | Facebook

These two jazz electrics look fantastic. I really love the burst with fingerboard inlays.

User Info Menu

That Charlie Christian should be illegal for being so beautiful!

Bryant just posted some new pics today of finished guitars for those interested.

Here is the link:

Instagram Photos

User Info Menu

WOW!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by coolvinny View Post
    Not yet. Bryant is waiting for an order of KA 12-pole floating humbuckers to arrive. Hopefully soon...
    The KA 12-pole floater has finally landed with Bryant after a long journey from the US. Sounds like I'll have my Jazz Special in about 10 - 12 days. I've been playing acoustic duo jams in a local park with a 7-string nylon player I know for the past few weeks...I'm very curious about whether this laminate/floater Trenier will be loud enough to hang in that sort of thing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by coolvinny View Post
    The KA 12-pole floater has finally landed with Bryant after a long journey from the US. Sounds like I'll have my Jazz Special in about 10 - 12 days. I've been playing acoustic duo jams in a local park with a 7-string nylon player I know for the past few weeks...I'm very curious about whether this laminate/floater Trenier will be loud enough to hang in that sort of thing.
    That will largely depend on the string gauge, the action and the strength of your picking hand - I've had the tailpiece on mine down low for the most string-pressure on the bridge and with a set of 013's the guitar cut surprisingly well ! It was not a "pretty" sound but certainly loud enough for comping in an acoustic 4-tet setting with bass, sax and trumpet. After a few gigs with that setup I decided to return to a more mellow sounding setup, changed strings to halfrounds, raised the tailpiece to a bit more than halfway up and struck a working compromise. It's astounding how a small change in the tailpiece has a profound effect on the tone of the guitar.... you'll have a great time finding all that out ! Prepare for many string changes over the next few weeks ....

User Info Menu

Thanks Gitman...but to clarify did you mean the tailpiece or the bridge? I've never heard of a tailpiece that can be adjusted but if so then this will be an interesting novelty for me to explore.

I usually get a pretty big sound of the instrument due to my pick angle (basically perpendicular, not angled) and my choice of pick (Blue Chip KS60 with unbeveled edges), however for strings I plan to use 12 gauge nickel roundwounds (D'Addario or equivalent) but with a 13/17 for the treble strings, at least to start. If I don't like those I'll probably try TI Bebop 13's.

FWIW apparently my Jazz Special, compared to past "acoustic" versions of this model, is a bit quieter but a bit sweeter sounding, in part due to the spruce lam top. Also mine might have a slightly shallower body depth than is "standard" on this model, so that will obviously mean a bit less volume.

User Info Menu

Like on my (long gone, sadly) Borys B120 the tailpiece is secured with one larger screw (> strappin) and 2 small one to the left and right. The screw-slots in the tailpiece-hinge are about 1/2" long so you can slide it up or down.
    I chose the lam-top Jazz-Special with a floater as opposed to a built-in pickup to come closer to a working compromise between size, acoustic potential and a more or less classic electric tone.
    In some situations I need to play unplugged so the acoustic volume is not a minor issue. I'm talking about pounding out straight 4/4's on standard swing tunes etc., not about taking any solo's.
    Medium gauge flats will obviously not bring out the brilliance and cutting power compared to roundwounds and therefor the guitar won't perform optimally when not amplified. If this scenario is absent in your case then you have much more wiggle-room !