Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 51 to 100 of 135
  1. #51

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by QAman View Post
    A pic of Bryants completed new headstock design was posted today - it looks great.

    REALLY nice looking headstock IMO.

  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #52
    Bryant just updated his Facebook page yesterday. Check out the flame on this 2019 Broadway nearing completion.

  4. #53

    User Info Menu

    Ooh-lah-lah! That's some eye candy!

  5. #54

    User Info Menu

    I've been listening to Will Sellenraad's Greene Street Volume #1 with Eric McPherson and Rene Hart a lot lately. Very cool album recorded exclusively with Will's Trenier New Yorker, I believe.


  6. #55
    Will is a fine player. Here is another video demonstrating his chord melody work.



  7. #56

    User Info Menu

    The sound of those guitars are huge. Acoustic and alive, helps if up play great like this fellow but still can tell killer guitar itself.

  8. #57
    I can’t say enough about Trenier guitars. For those who own them - you know what I mean. Here is a quick audio clip I made on my iPhone with my Trenier Jazz electric 4 years ago. I just love this guitar - it plays like butter and has a very warm sweet tone- just like the better (real) D’Aquisto Jazz electrics.

    Dropbox - Trenier - Jazz Electric Carnival.m4a - Simplify your life

  9. #58

    User Info Menu

    I keep going back to this guitar. If I was in a position to get a Trenier and I didn't want to wait for a new build, I would pull the trigger on this one.

    Trenier Magnolia 2012 Sunburst | Reverb

  10. #59

    User Info Menu

    There is new Trenier jazz special clip from Will Sellenraad. Enjoy!


  11. #60

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by D'Aquisto Fan View Post
    I keep going back to this guitar. If I was in a position to get a Trenier and I didn't want to wait for a new build, I would pull the trigger on this one.

    Trenier Magnolia 2012 Sunburst | Reverb
    I too have looked at it. More than I want to go on the price but it is one builder I could be tempted to buy for the right price. His guitars are stunning in all respects.

  12. #61
    This Magnolia is a spectacular instrument and likely would be 15k new today. It also has a 1k fret job by one the best NYC guitar techs in the business.

  13. #62

    User Info Menu

    So there are a few different "Trenier" related threads - "Bryant Trenier Guitars" and "Trenier Guitars (Luthier Bryant Trenier)" among them - but this one seems to be the most on point re the Jazz Electrics.

    Anyway, as many know, Bryant is working on a batch of 4 or 5 of them. He's posted some updates. I have one of this batch and Bryant reached out a week or so ago to let me know delivery would be in the reasonably near future (we had to firm up colour choice).

    Mine will be the laminated spruce top with floater (seems all the others will have routed pickups). If COVID continues to slow the pace of the world generally for a few months yet, then having this guitar soon-ish will be great.

    Who else is expecting one of this batch?

  14. #63

    User Info Menu

    My friend Nick on his 2019 Jazz Special.


  15. #64
    Quote Originally Posted by David B View Post
    My friend Nick on his 2019 Jazz Special.

    Beautiful playing. The tone on his guitar is fantastic - this is why I love Trenier’s. The TONE is fat and rich - like a great guitar should be.

  16. #65

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by coolvinny View Post
    So there are a few different "Trenier" related threads - "Bryant Trenier Guitars" and "Trenier Guitars (Luthier Bryant Trenier)" among them - but this one seems to be the most on point re the Jazz Electrics.

    Anyway, as many know, Bryant is working on a batch of 4 or 5 of them. He's posted some updates. I have one of this batch and Bryant reached out a week or so ago to let me know delivery would be in the reasonably near future (we had to firm up colour choice).

    Mine will be the laminated spruce top with floater (seems all the others will have routed pickups). If COVID continues to slow the pace of the world generally for a few months yet, then having this guitar soon-ish will be great.

    Who else is expecting one of this batch?
    I'm eagerly awaiting a Jazz Electric in this batch. Can't wait! I've played a friend's Jazz Electric and it was exceptional. I'm sure you'll love yours, Coolvinny!

  17. #66
    Some recent pics of guitars in progress as of yesterday.



  18. #67

    User Info Menu

    That picture brings back memories of Bill Barker's shop as he normally did a batch of 5 guitars at a time. They would look much like that picture almost exactly. Barker would always string up and put the guitars completely together and then play them for about a week. Then take all the hardware off and apply the finish. QAman I assume this will be a traditional nitro finish? As hard as it is to get a guitar carved and sounding good it is equally as difficult to get a great finish. Making an archtop guitar is no easy process, just when a builder thinks they have it down by carving the body and neck............then they have to make the finish stunning because we know first impressions are so important. Bryant seems to really have the process down.

    I am seriously trying to figure a way to get that Trenier Magnolia for sale on reverb. One thing would get that puppy many it will happen.

  19. #68
    Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark View Post
    That picture brings back memories of Bill Barker's shop as he normally did a batch of 5 guitars at a time. They would look much like that picture almost exactly. Barker would always string up and put the guitars completely together and then play them for about a week. Then take all the hardware off and apply the finish. QAman I assume this will be a traditional nitro finish? As hard as it is to get a guitar carved and sounding good it is equally as difficult to get a great finish. Making an archtop guitar is no easy process, just when a builder thinks they have it down by carving the body and neck............then they have to make the finish stunning because we know first impressions are so important. Bryant seems to really have the process down.

    I am seriously trying to figure a way to get that Trenier Magnolia for sale on reverb. One thing would get that puppy many it will happen.
    Mark,
    Hanging around a guitar builders shop is very exciting for sure. Bryant will be applying nitro to these, and his shading and finish work is gorgeous. He dont put the finish on too heavy. His guitars breathe and sustain forever.

    I understand the Magnolia is an outstanding guitar...if you can ...grab it. That build today would be nearly twice the asking price. John Stewart knows fine guitars. He handles the very best Archtops and if he says its great.....it is.

    Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by QAman; 04-18-2020 at 11:43 AM.

  20. #69

    User Info Menu

    Here is another video by the very talented Will Sellenraad playing his Trenier Jazz Electric with a real vintage Charlie Christian pickup through a wide panel tweed Bandmaster. Enjoy!


  21. #70

    User Info Menu

    You know, for a long time I was blissfully ignoring my upcoming Trenier Jazz Special delivery...but once he started posting pics of the 2020 it's been on my mind a lot! How will it compare to my 2016 Motif?? The plan is for the Jazz Special to become my "no. 1 guitar", something I can play standing, seated, unplugged, plugged, etc...It's been kind of annoying splitting my practice time between my 1 3/4" nut Motif and my 1 11/16" Collings; they feel more different than the specs would suggest. Will be good to have some consistency. Also I find the 1 11/16" scale rather cramped for chord melody (left hand, not right hand) perhaps also due to the slightly shorter 24 7/8" scale. Anyways, hopefully all my problems will be solved soon with the 1.75" / 25" scale Trenier.

  22. #71

    User Info Menu

    Like coolvinny, I put my Trenier Jazz Special out of mind for many months. But knowing the end is drawing near is getting me excited. I'm leaving much of the build up to Bryant's inspiration. I'm sure it will be a wonderful guitar.

  23. #72

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by D'Aquisto Fan View Post
    Like coolvinny, I put my Trenier Jazz Special out of mind for many months. But knowing the end is drawing near is getting me excited. I'm leaving much of the build up to Bryant's inspiration. I'm sure it will be a wonderful guitar.
    I've also tried to leave a fair bit up to Bryan't artistic sensibilities, but I gave him some broad parameters. I think mine will be quite different from the other 2020 Jazz Specials based on those parameters - most notably the floating pickup but also a bit less ornate.

  24. #73

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by coolvinny View Post
    I've also tried to leave a fair bit up to Bryan't artistic sensibilities, but I gave him some broad parameters. I think mine will be quite different from the other 2020 Jazz Specials based on those parameters - most notably the floating pickup but also a bit less ornate.
    Your laminated spruce top should be cool. I'm typically not a huge fan of overly flamey maple tops on archtops. I never thought of requesting a laminated spruce top. Too late now!

  25. #74

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by D'Aquisto Fan View Post
    Your laminated spruce top should be cool. I'm typically not a huge fan of overly flamey maple tops on archtops. I never thought of requesting a laminated spruce top. Too late now!
    Actually it began by me requesting a "plain" maple top, but none were available so Bryant suggested that he may be able to use spruce.

  26. #75

    User Info Menu

    Here is another video of Will Sellenraad playing his beautiful Trenier Jazz Special. A really sweet, succinct version of Waltz New by Jim Hall with bassist Richard Mikel as performed in our social distancing world.


  27. #76

    User Info Menu

    I thought we'd have some new pics by now...does anyone have the inside scoop? I know it won't be long now, but the home stretch of waiting is killing me!

  28. #77
    Quote Originally Posted by coolvinny View Post
    I thought we'd have some new pics by now...does anyone have the inside scoop? I know it won't be long now, but the home stretch of waiting is killing me!
    Bryant is in the process of finishing up some of the jazz electrics - pics coming soon.

  29. #78

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by QAman View Post
    Bryant is in the process of finishing up some of the jazz electrics - pics coming soon.
    Haha yes, I know they're close...I'm just very keen these days. I've now got my closing payment in USD ready and today installed another guitar hanger, so I'm super ready.

  30. #79

    User Info Menu


  31. #80

    User Info Menu


  32. #81
    For those interested- here is a link showing status on 2 of a current 6 pc batch of Jazz Electrics .

    Trenier Guitars - Home | Facebook

  33. #82

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by David B View Post
    Awesome tone in that video, one that I can relate to as my ideal. Quite similar to PB's tone.

  34. #83

  35. #84

    User Info Menu

    That looks familiar ...
    Attached Images Attached Images Trenier guitars-img_1980-jpg 

  36. #85

    User Info Menu

    New Trenier update...this is actually the guitar headed my way:
    Trenier Guitars - Who says plywood can’t ring? Here is a...

  37. #86
    I’ve said it many times - Bryants Guitars are just incredible. This demo is a laminate ! What laminate on the market sounds like this without amplification?

    None .....period - just my opinion . There is a certain tonal quality in Bryants guitars that’s hard to beat.

  38. #87

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by QAman View Post
    I’ve said it many times - Bryants Guitars are just incredible. This demo is a laminate ! What laminate on the market sounds like this without amplification?

    None .....period - just my opinion . There is a certain tonal quality in Bryants guitars that’s hard to beat.
    I do think Bryant has something special going on. I've owned quite a few amazing guitars, but the acoustic sound from my 2016 Motif 16" is amazing. I've had the same acoustic bronze strings on it for more than a year - perhaps I changed the high E once but that's it - and it actually sounds better than when the strings were new. That's ridiculous. The volume didn't drop off very much at all. I can still get a huge sound playing fingerstyle, let alone with a thick pick.

    Just wait til I get the laminate from the video into my hands with a .13 and .17 for the high strings and my thick Blue Chip KS60 pick with rounded tip and unbeveled edges...I think she will be a little cannon.

    I'm just worried that I'll love both guitars so much that it will stress me out (EGS - excess guitar syndrome).

    Excited to see the other Jazz Specials from this 2020 batch.

  39. #88

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by coolvinny View Post
    New Trenier update...this is actually the guitar headed my way:
    Trenier Guitars - Who says plywood can’t ring? Here is a...
    Sounds fantastic! Can't wait until you get yours and provide us with a NGD!

  40. #89
    Quote Originally Posted by coolvinny View Post
    I do think Bryant has something special going on. I've owned quite a few amazing guitars, but the acoustic sound from my 2016 Motif 16" is amazing. I've had the same acoustic bronze strings on it for more than a year - perhaps I changed the high E once but that's it - and it actually sounds better than when the strings were new. That's ridiculous. The volume didn't drop off very much at all. I can still get a huge sound playing fingerstyle, let alone with a thick pick.

    Just wait til I get the laminate from the video into my hands with a .13 and .17 for the high strings and my thick Blue Chip KS60 pick with rounded tip and unbeveled edges...I think she will be a little cannon.

    I'm just worried that I'll love both guitars so much that it will stress me out (EGS - excess guitar syndrome).

    Excited to see the other Jazz Specials from this 2020 batch.
    I was just writing back and forth with Bryant today and he told me the story of how he got inspired to make a floater laminate from a photo of one made by Jim D’Aquisto - very rare indeed.

    This might be the second , or possibly third floater laminate made by Bryant - and he said it came out amazing.

    I told him to put me on the list for one. I’m not concerned about the wait. I know it will be a special unique guitar.

    Looking forward to your NGD

  41. #90
    Quote Originally Posted by D'Aquisto Fan View Post
    Sounds fantastic! Can't wait until you get yours and provide us with a NGD!
    We are not far behind in our builds.

  42. #91

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by QAman View Post
    We are not far behind in our builds.
    I certainly hope so!

  43. #92
    Some pics of the first 3 of 6 from current batch of Jazz electrics.






  44. #93

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by QAman View Post
    Some pics of the first 3 of 6 from current batch of Jazz electrics.





    Beautiful! Glad to see Bryant is moving along!

  45. #94

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by QAman View Post
    Mark,
    Hanging around a guitar builders shop is very exciting for sure. Bryant will be applying nitro to these, and his shading and finish work is gorgeous. He dont put the finish on too heavy. His guitars breathe and sustain forever.

    I understand the Magnolia is an outstanding guitar...if you can ...grab it. That build today would be nearly twice the asking price. John Stewart knows fine guitars. He handles the very best Archtops and if he says its great.....it is.

    Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk
    Bryant, IMO, does the best shading one can find by any builder. He's got the D'Aquisto theme down to a T. He's truly in a league of his own and I still find his guitars a relative bargain. Only wish I could afford one.

  46. #95
    2b,
    Your right. Hes got Jimmy's shading down like no other builder. This is his passion, and sonically his instruments are just amazing.

    Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

  47. #96

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by QAman View Post
    Some pics of the first 3 of 6 from current batch of Jazz electrics.





    Stevie,
    I am convinced, that next to pictures of our wives, pics of beautiful guitars are the most things in life.
    These guitars are gorgeous.
    It was really nice talking to you today. Thanks for clarifying some things for me. After my crown jewel is in my loving possession, I can honestly see a Borys in my future.
    No doubt.
    JD

  48. #97

    User Info Menu

    Now with pickguard installed - see pic (I’m digging how it’s unbound, suits the instrument beautifully).
    She’d be all finished if I was going pure acoustic but a floating PU and vol/tone controls are still to come. They will be installed on the pickguard rather than drilled into the top.
    Attached Images Attached Images Trenier guitars-f0fdd2f1-fca5-4d43-aae4-40cc8b411638-jpeg 

  49. #98

    User Info Menu

    And more pics
    Attached Images Attached Images Trenier guitars-f4273a2c-bb12-43a1-810e-a6c78c4e87a3-jpeg Trenier guitars-e1d0d5eb-3e43-4e9e-a338-830018ac124a-jpeg Trenier guitars-6218d2ef-c91f-4b65-924f-9899e8e99620-jpeg Trenier guitars-c20e5018-cb34-47b1-8ee1-15f083f3bb54-jpeg 

  50. #99
    Coolvinny,
    The color of that guitar is strikingly beautiful and the flame is gorgeous. You were wise to place your order when you did......they are going up in price. You'll have it in your hands soon.

    Looking forward to hearing your impression of the guitar.

    Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

  51. #100

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by QAman View Post
    Coolvinny,
    The color of that guitar is strikingly beautiful and the flame is gorgeous. You were wise to place your order when you did......they are going up in price. You'll have it in your hands soon.

    Looking forward to hearing your impression of the guitar.

    Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk
    Thanks Steve. This Jazz Special is sort of the culmination of all my favorite specs through trial/error and trial/success based on my former Andersen, my former Holst, my former Hopkins, my former Buscarino, and my current Collings and current Trenier. Hmmm even my briefly-owned 1990 GB-10 had a bit of a part to play in all this (spruce lam!). It's closest to my Andersen which I had for 6 years before selling in late 2019 except with slimmer body depth, slightly narrower nut, different neck around the low and high frets (esp. at body joint, where Bryant really nails the slim heel) and of course floating pickup for more pleasing unplugged practicing. Can't wait to play it...and especially to be able to practice while standing without worrying about cables/amps.