The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
Posts 351 to 375 of 475

User Info Menu

to me that guy makes the nicest looking archtops today and his finishes are the best too

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Absolutely stunning. IMO, his guitars are the most beautiful archtops ever made, and each one is unique. I don’t know how he does it, from the more traditional design of his Broadway model, to the D’Aquisto- inspired designs like my Model E, to these completely original designs that are modern and classic at the same time. For now, I hope they are heading into the hands of players, but someday they should be on display at the Met.

For all those Trenier admirers- here is a link to Bryant playing two recently completed Archtops.

Page Not Found • Instagram

Enjoy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Here's my in-progress Jazz Special as of this morning. I asked for an unbound fingerboard. A clean '1948 DeArmond FHC pickup is going on this guitar.

Trenier guitars-img_20220606_110314_resized_20220606_014929724-jpg

Looking nice Dave. Keep us posted on the progress.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Amazing I much prefer a bound fingerboard and preferably one that has a wider binding profile or multiple layers. The only issue for me as a repairman is they are more work to refret than an unbound.

User Info Menu

Is that a maple top? Laminate or carved? How does that change the acoustic sound compared to a ditto spruce top?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RJVB
    Is that a maple top? Laminate or carved? How does that change the acoustic sound compared to a ditto spruce top?
    The "Jazz Special" models are usually 16" wide maple lam-top+back guitars but Bryant has done many (well, a few) with a carved spruce top also. The series started out as his take on the D'Aquisto 16" guitar made for Jim Hall back in the late 70's (I guess), i.e. same basic design and measurements. My own Special has a laminated maple body with a floating pickup and since I have never seen or heard another one in person I can only comment on mine : the acoustic sound is surprisingly loud and round, not too many overtones and with a strong fundamental. With a med. high action and roundwound strings it should hold it's own in an acoustic jam. These traits do get translated when plugged in, resulting in a very pleasing, balanced and sustaining electric jazz guitar tone. I love mine !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gitman
    My own Special has a laminated maple body with a floating pickup and since I have never seen or heard another one in person I can only comment on mine : the acoustic sound is surprisingly loud and round, not too many overtones and with a strong fundamental.
    I recently learned about (IIRC) a new Taylor with a maple top (flat, so solid), and your assessment seems to correspond with what I read about that instrument.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gitman
    .... My own Special has a laminated maple body with a floating pickup ...
    Gitman - What pickup are you using?

AKA

User Info Menu

Heading to the spray booth next week. These shots were just posted by Bryant to Instagram.

Trenier guitars-screenshot-2022-07-14-13-57-22-png

Trenier guitars-screenshot-2022-07-14-13-57-09-png

User Info Menu

It’s nice that Bryant is still producing 18” archtop’s! That Continental was gorgeous!

Just had a nice conversation with Bryant today. He just attended a Pasquale Grasso concert in Nice ,France.

Pasquale is currently touring Europe and using a laminate PG Trenier Special model, with an old DeArmond floating pickup attached to the neck. This guitar is different from his solid carved Trenier PG model.

Pasquale told Bryant he played at a venue where he opened up for Jeff Beck - with 5000 people and this guitar did not have any Feedback issues at all …. and he loves the acoustic tone when playing it un-amplified.

Bryant has only made a few of these , but he says the demand is increasing for this laminate floater……which has a warm woody vibe acoustically - and no feedback issues when played amplified. The guitar’s un-amplified volume approaches that of a modern X braced carved Archtop.

The inspiration for this guitar came from a photograph Bryant came across - of a D’Aquisto laminate that was never cut through the top for a mounted pickup. Jimmy may have been on to something.

For those who remember - Bryant’s Jazz Specials are a clone of the original D’Aquisto Special provided to him from owner Perry Beekman.

Bryant will be making me one - it’s a win win.

Here is a pic of the guitar that Pasquale is using throughout his European tour.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by QAman
    Just had a nice conversation with Bryant today. He just attended a Pasquale Grasso concert in Nice ,France.

Pasquale is currently touring Europe and using a laminate PG Trenier Special model, with an old DeArmond floating pickup attached to the neck. This guitar is different from his solid carved Trenier PG model.

Pasquale told Bryant he played at a venue where he opened up for Jeff Beck - with 5000 people and this guitar did not have any Feedback issues at all …. and he loves the acoustic tone when playing it un-amplified.

Bryant has only made a few of these , but he says the demand is increasing for this laminate floater……which has a warm woody vibe acoustically - and no feedback issues when played amplified. The guitar’s un-amplified volume approaches that of a modern X braced carved Archtop.

The inspiration for this guitar came from a photograph Bryant came across - of a D’Aquisto laminate that was never cut through the top for a mounted pickup. Jimmy may have been on to something.

For those who remember - Bryant’s Jazz Specials are a clone of the original D’Aquisto Special provided to him from owner Perry Beekman.

Here is a pic of the guitar that Pasquale is using throughout his European tour.

Are you getting the controls mounted on the tp too?

I guess PG ordered it that way, wouldn't be my choice though.

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Are you getting the controls mounted on the tp too?

I guess PG ordered it that way, wouldn't be my choice though.
    No - I'll have just volume control on pickguard.

User Info Menu

No - I'll have just volume control on pickguard.

Steve,

Will you specify the maple or spruce top layer? Do you hear a difference between the two?

AKA

Quote Originally Posted by AKA
    Steve,

Will you specify the maple or spruce top layer? Do you hear a difference between the two?

AKA
    I'll likely go with a spruce top. But when the time comes , Bryant and I will have more discussions....... and I will follow his lead. It will be based on seeing pictures of the laminate plies he has available.

I was just playing my Trenier special ( acoustically ) from the first batch of 4 made. Mine has the built in lollar imperial pickup. Its serial number 1117 , and it too, has a warm woody tone. A very pleasing effortless playing experience, I love it like the day I bought it. It's a laminate unlike others.

These laminates are lighweight builds, and not anything like a heavier Gibson ES series guitar. They have a different timbre, which I find to be very warm and soothing to the ear. Think Jim Hall.....and that's the tone. Pasquale makes it sound like a piano at times.

Ive only played the 4 maple tops from the first batch, but have heard a recent video of the spruce top with the Biltoft CC ( played acoustically ), and it sounded fantastic. If it wasn't already spoken for .......it would already be in my collection.

Last edited by QAman; 07-19-2022 at 09:45 PM.

User Info Menu

Just a fantastic burst finish on both the headstock and body. And what a unique placement of the controls on the TP. Masterful.

User Info Menu

may I suggest to move them two inches towards the strings and have

them made from the same wood as the tailpiece.

User Info Menu

Bryant posted on Instagram at the weekend that he has made new tailpieces and pick guards for two of Pasquale's guitars. Pasquale mentioned in the recent Jazz Guitar Today interview on YouTube that he was minded to move to a more conventional controls on the pickguard arrangement.

Trenier guitars-img_5545-jpg
    Last edited by David B; 07-20-2022 at 05:14 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Filmosound 621
    may I suggest to move them two inches towards the strings and have

them made from the same wood as the tailpiece.

They were originally made from ebony but Pasquale recently changed them to transparent vintage DeArmond knobs when he installed that pickup.

User Info Menu

We're going with a dark vintage sunburst for my Jazz Special, using this image of a vintage mandolin as a jumping off point.

Trenier guitars-loarmandolin-jpg
    Last edited by David B; 07-20-2022 at 05:34 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AKA

I was wondering about that laminate. Taylor recently released a solid-maple-topped guitar and from what I understand it doesn't really sound very loud acoustically.

What's used for the other (2 or 3 or ??) layers?

Quote Originally Posted by David B
    We're going with a dark vintage sunburst for my Jazz Special, using this image of a vintage mandolin as a jumping off point.

Trenier guitars-loarmandolin-jpg
    Bryant’s finish application and shading is extraordinary - and I’m sure he will exceed your expectations with matching the mandolin appearance you desire. Here is a pic of my Trenier Broadway back. I wanted that vintage vibe as well.

Last edited by QAman; 07-20-2022 at 06:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RJVB
    I was wondering about that laminate. Taylor recently released a solid-maple-topped guitar and from what I understand it doesn't really sound very loud acoustically.

What's used for the other (2 or 3 or ??) layers?
    Bryant uses Mahogany for inner layers - and glues the laminates together with hide glue instead of white glue, which he feels is the key to his sound.

Martin Guitar also uses hide glue on the "Authentic series" guitars.

The vintage purist believe hide glue enhances the tone of an instrument........maybe they are correct. It's crystallized structure is said to be an excellent conduit of sound producing energy.