Likes Likes:  0

User Info Menu

advise on sanding down a skunk stripe on a tele neck that's coming up? Fortunately, only around the 2nd and 3rd frets. No gap to put glue in so USACG advised me sanding it down but how do I sand it down without sanding down the maple as well?

Note - There is no gap with which to add glue and it's not loose so clamping wouldn't work. Perhaps heating it and then clamping might work but I don't know if heat will work with white glue which is presumably what they used.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Jack I am lost on what is going on maybe a picture? Is this the fingerboard back of neck and what is a skunk strip unless you mean the laminations?
    specializing in repair and setup, does your guitar play like it should?

User Info Menu

https://www.fender.com/articles/tech...-skunk-stripe/

Heat should affect either hide glue or Titebond type glue. A sanding block would take down the walnut, but you need to be careful when you start hitting the maple. Most likely you'll need to refinish that area of the neck, because it's very difficult, if not impossible, to level the walnut without touching the maple, and the walnut will be unfinished anyway after the sanding. Clamping might force the walnut back, and that's probably the first thing I would try. Use a block between the clamp and the stripe, unless you have a wooden clamp. Those are available at home improvement stores for not a lot of money. Tighten it, let it sit for awhile, tighten a little more, and you may be able to gradually get it back in place.
    Access Denied

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark View Post
    Jack I am lost on what is going on maybe a picture? Is this the fingerboard back of neck and what is a skunk strip unless you mean the laminations?
    this is a skunk stripe. It's coming up.

http://i.imgur.com/vLGtKOb.jpg

User Info Menu

I'd suggest razor blade scraping as described here:
    Rasor Blade Scraping

afterwards you could superfine sand it...you could mask the neck and smooth out the scraped section and then super fine sand to blend in the stripe and the neck without (hopefully) taking off too much finish.

User Info Menu

Jack, did you get the stripe fixed? If so, how?