Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    Dear friends, I recently bought a jazz guitar, Ibanez Artcore AG75, which had been unused for years and was probably stored for many years in a humid place. After cleaning, fret dressing, new strings, the guitar looked and plays great. The big problem is the extreme bad smell that has inside the box. After some time playing, the bad smell even gives me itchy eyes and nose. I put a vacuum cleaner to remove the cobwebs, I left for a while with a hair dryer, but the smell does not come out. I thought I'd put some perfume on, but maybe it's worse. Another option is to seal the f holes, but I wonder if anyone knows a way to get rid of this smell!
    Thank you very much.


    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
  3. #2

    User Info Menu

    lol, sorry but that is a little funny

  4. #3

    User Info Menu

  5. #4

    User Info Menu

    Thank you! Order placed!

  6. #5

    User Info Menu

    My guitar isn't smelly but it's got rice in it. Years ago I read about 'How to get fluff out of your guitar. Put some rice in it, shake and empty'.

    I did it but I never got all the rice out. So there's still some in there :-)

  7. #6

    User Info Menu

    I just got one of these for the stuff that somehow got in there..


  8. #7

    User Info Menu

    If all else fails, careful use of an ozone generator can get rid of most odors.

  9. #8

    User Info Menu

    what's fluff

  10. #9

    User Info Menu

    Little dustballs. You'd probably call it lint. I think.

  11. #10

    User Info Menu

    It sounds bad (not the guitar sound, but the smell). The allergic reaction isn't a good sign.
    Inspect the inside the guitar for dead mice, excrements or funghi or a rotten olive or other food. Use a dentist mirror or something to inspect all surfaces. When all has been removed that should not be there give it a treatment with fungicide List of fungicides - Wikipedia and store the guitar somewhere ventilated and dry for a month. Check once in a while to see if smell disappears.

    Just adding ... if you want a better view inside than what you can see through the f-holes it is pretty easy to remove the pickup's once the strings are off.
    Last edited by teeps; 06-26-2019 at 02:56 PM.

  12. #11

    User Info Menu

    See a farmer. Spray it with sheep dip.

  13. #12

    User Info Menu

    My guitar is odorless. My playing stinks.

  14. #13

    User Info Menu

    Beware of mycotoxins! (think mold)

    Your reaction is classic sign of this.

    If you are vulnerable it is serious.

    Do some research & best of luck to you.

  15. #14

    User Info Menu

    Thank you all! I've ordered a purifying small bag and for now I've sealed the f-holes!

  16. #15

    User Info Menu

    ozone and a UV lamp will kill the mold if there is some. don't spay anything wet inside there. sealing it may not help either. go directly to the source and kill it without getting it wet - or leaving it in darkness.

    mold likes food (at the microbial level is fine), darkness, and moisture.

  17. #16

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Campos
    Thank you all! I've ordered a purifying small bag and for now I've sealed the f-holes!
    Closing the f-holes is not the best idea I think.... you need ventilation in the guitar. Just hang it on the wall (not in a case or bag!) in a room with normal humidity (40-60%) and whatever is inside should dry out and any odors should disappear.

  18. #17

    User Info Menu

    It is mould and I repeat the warning about mycotoxins. An ozone generator should take care of it. If you can and are careful about it, a germicidal UV lightbulb lowered into the cavity and suspended within it should kill the mould. You might have to remove a humbucker to do that. Please read about proper handling of germicidal UV lightbulbs before you use one.

    Or just try hanging it on a clothesline, out in the open, until the smell dissipates.

  19. #18

    User Info Menu

    I think if it was me I'd take it to a good guitar maker and get the problem identified and cured properly. Hang the expense, it would be worth it. Especially if I couldn't get rid of the problem myself and was getting physical reactions from it.

    If I couldn't find a guitar specialist probably one for other wood instruments like violins or cellos would do. Or just a good carpenter/furniture maker, etc.

    (Actually, you're lucky it's just the smell. The effects of prolonged humidity on the bodies of stored guitars are usually far worse than that).