User Info Menu

I just wanted to share a photo of one of the aesthetically nicest quartersawn back and side sets of Sycamore Maple that I have ever seen. It was harvested in Austria in 2003 and has been seasoning at Andreas Gleissner in Germany for the last 15+ years. The sides are extra long at 36” and the moisture content is at 8%. This a very hard and dense set. It will now dry in my luthier’s wood storage room until next year when it will be used. The moisture content should be down to 6% by then...

Last edited by iim7V7IM7; 06-23-2019 at 07:08 AM.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________________
    Bob

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

IIM, You sure know how to pick em. That is gonna be just as beautiful as all of your other masterpieces.
    Good Luck with the build. By the way, I never knew there was such a tree as a sycamore maple. Had a couple of sycamores in my backyard and of course more than few maples.
    JD

User Info Menu

beautiful wood...sycamore maple is the type of "maple" used by european violin makers of the classic vintage era...

back and sides absolutely!!!

very framus/hofner-esque cut/design

keep us posted...nice

cheers

ps- what you got for the top wood??? tight spruce?? cedar?
    Last edited by neatomic; 06-24-2019 at 09:57 PM. Reason: ps-

User Info Menu

Thanks Joe....

Most tonewood referred to as “European Maple” used to make stringed instruments is Acer Pseudoplantus commonly known as “European Sycamore” or “Sycamore Maple”. Sometimes “Norway Maple” is also used as well. Sycamore Maple has no relationship to American Sycamore (Platanus occidentalis).

The most common North American Maples used to make guitars are Bigleaf Maple, Hard (aka Sugar or Rock) Maple and Red Maple.

Quote Originally Posted by Max405 View Post
    IIM, You sure know how to pick em. That is gonna be just as beautiful as all of your other masterpieces.
    Good Luck with the build. By the way, I never knew there was such a tree as a sycamore maple. Had a couple of sycamores in my backyard and of course more than few maples.
    JD
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________________
    Bob

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic View Post

ps- what you got for the top wood??? tight spruce?? cedar?
    A beautiful set of Carpathian Spruce (aka Norway Spruce)...
    Bob

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post

nice!

from a luthiers wood forum-

"CARPATHIAN SPRUCE
    Carpathian Spruce from the Carpathian Mountains.
    These are the STIFFEST tops in the world, very pretty in color, quarter sawn,
    with very nice cross silk, excellent tap tone.
    The moisture content is always less than 12%. The grain on the tops is tight,
    due to the high altitude of the location of the trees.

The specie / botanical name of this wood is PICEA ABIES also reffered to as PICEA EXCELSA.
    The quality of the sound produced from these tops is INCREDIBLE. Best quality in the world.
    The Carpathian spruce is becoming the best quality wood to use for Luthiers and instrument makers alike.
    This wood is often compared to Adirondack Spruce, but it still possesses the best tonal quality.
    Once you try to build an instrument with this wood, you will never go back to using anything else.
    Because of the cosmetic similarities and great tone of the American Red Spruce some people call it Carpathian Red Spruce. "

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
    Norwegian Wood? Capo on 2nd, have fun.

PS...that maple in the OP is off the chain awesome.
    1948 Gibson L-7N
    1981 Epi Emperor T (MIJ Matsumoku)
    1998 Epi Zephyr Regent (Peerless)
    1992 Gibson Les Paul Studio
    2004 Gibson SG Special Faded
    2006 Epi G-1275 (MIK, Unsung)
    2013 Squier Affinity Telecaster, BSB
    (among others)

User Info Menu

Much of the Carpathian Spruce that makes it over to this side of the pond is from two suppliers:

Old World Tonewood (West Virginia) who sources their wood from Romania.
    Old World Tonewood Co. - Old World Tone Wood

and

Eurotonewood (Pennsylvania) who sources their wood from the Ukraine.
    WoodDirect | Feasterville, PA

I have 4 different guitars made using Carpathian Spruce (some from each supplier). All have been quite sucessful....

While the general descriptions of its properties are true on average, like any spruce there is a lot of variability within a species and sets are best specifically chosen for a given project. What is important to me is that it is properly cut (on quarter), has been seasoned a long time and properly air dried in a builders environment. Lastly, that they chose it based on the particular instrument that they are building. Some of the differences in the physical properties can be adjusted during bracing and carving of the top and recurve.
    Bob